Author Topic: 2lb. Bath Salts Grapefuit pink scent  (Read 1374 times)

TheCrystalTree2Rachel

2lb. Bath Salts Grapefuit pink scent
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:45:04 AM »
Hi,

So I have gotten into making bath products and this is just one of my bottles I am currently trying to sale in my shop. It is grapefruit (pink) scented bath salt that is the color of light orange. It smells great and I have used this before. I use all my products before I post them up. I designed the label using vintage clip art and am quite proud of them. Its fun making bath salts and using them too.

So what do all of you think about my bath salts image/ description/price? Do you think I am selling too much, its a 2 lb. bottle? Should I put them in smaller containers? I also have sample packs too, in a bundle of 5 different scents that people can try out. I just would like to see what people think about this product.  Thanks!!!

I have other bath products in my shop. I really enjoy making bath fizzies too. I am thinking about getting out of making soap. I think I want to stay with fizzies and bath salts. 

This link is to the ad I have in my shop.
https://handmadeartists.com/product-details/Bath%20and%20Beauty/Bath%20Salts/Grapefuit%20Pink%20Bath%20Salts/?pid=2013040721354138a0b

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: 2lb. Bath Salts Grapefuit pink scent
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »
It looks great and sounds like it smells great.  A couple of comments... You misspelled epsom (epson) salt & sulfate (sofate).

But I have to ask... Why would you use SLS?  Even commercial brands are moving toward sulfate-free product lines, and it's really not a necessary ingredient for what you're doing.  The benefit to handmade, as I see it, is to avoid the harmful chemicals.  So I'm curious about your reasoning.

TheCrystalTree2Rachel

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »
Hi,   Thank you for telling me about the misspelling.  As for the sls it was in the epson salt base that I purchased.   Thank you.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
I agree. It sounds and looks great, but if you can get a base without the SLS, I would.
personally I have moved away from products containing that and parabens. Good luck!

TheCrystalTree2Rachel

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
Hi,

I didn't know it was a problem and that maybe why people haven't shown much interest in my bath salts. I will start looking for epsom salts that don't contain SLS. 

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:42:29 PM »
FYI, you'd probably be better off with straight epsom salts from your local drugstore as a base.  They're just salt, nothing else.  Then add your scent, and if you like you can add a touch of color with some natural or skin-safe ingredients.

We use 5 different salts in our bath salts, but the epsom salts that are one of those, we honestly got in pretty big bags (5 or 6 lbs) at CVS.  Then when you add your color and/or fragrance and add on your containers & labels, you can figure out what your cost is & price accordingly.

TheCrystalTree2Rachel

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:41 AM »
I think it is pretty funny you said that I could get the epsom salts at my local drug store. I bought them at Walgreens. On the box I just copied down what was in them. I had know clue that sls was a problem.  I just read up about it and everything I use, toothpaste, body wash, face wash, and shampoo have it in it.

As for colors I've been using these bath salts myself for about 5 months now and had no proplem with the coloring. My bath tube is just fine and the colors are safe to use. The scents come form an actual place online that sells soap bases, molds, and oils. There pretty well established. The only problem was this sls. I know a place to get straight sea salt. I will just have to switch to that.

Thanks again for the advice.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:02:07 PM »
Crazy that they bothered to adulterate it.  The thing about SLS is that it's a really inexpensive lathering agent, so that's why it's in commercial shampoos, toothpaste, soap/detergent, etc.  It's tough to avoid, but by making your own, you can do that, which is awesome.

Yeah, if you're using a skin safe color & fragrance, you're fine.  I'm glad you were able to find out about SLS early on.  Pretty scary what we use all day every day & aren't told about/don't think about, huh?  I had no idea, actually, until *after* my husband and I started making soap and doing a ton of research.  It's pretty baffling what the FDA permits.  And pretty sad.