Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 1099034 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #465 on: January 03, 2010, 11:13:19 PM »
:D Hey! I'm new here! :) My husband and I opened our Etsy last month, and we sell ceramics and macrame items. (http://www.etsy.com/shop/PleasantPeasantry) We're both very artsy-farsty types of people. We've both been crafting with the mediums we're currently selling for years, and I've been really researching more about macrame so I can call myself an expert at it. :) I'm very excited to be welcomed into this group, and have already added team tags to all of my items and hearted some members' items! I'm looking forward to interacting more with everyone!
Ceramics, you say?  I just had to check the site - some beautiful work there!  Very, very nice.

... says the soaper who loves pottery and such.  :D

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 04, 2010, 12:28:11 AM »
Thanks! :D I love your soaps! I tried soap-making once, but didn't get very far. ;) I have a long list of crafty things I would like to try, someday when we're rich and have money to blow.  ;D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2010, 12:32:02 AM »
Ha, we have that "when we're rich" list too.  Fingers are crossed for all of us on that score!

Eric and I were talking tonight about what'd happen if Reef Botanicals got big enough for a non-virtual storefront... and then maybe more than one location, even.

Why not?  I'm 39, but when I saw the movie Milk (anyone who hasn't seen it really should!) I realized that he didn't do anything useful 'til his 40th birthday... and then he did so much!  If he could, why not any of us?

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
Ha, we have that "when we're rich" list too.  Fingers are crossed for all of us on that score!

Eric and I were talking tonight about what'd happen if Reef Botanicals got big enough for a non-virtual storefront... and then maybe more than one location, even.

Why not?  I'm 39, but when I saw the movie Milk (anyone who hasn't seen it really should!) I realized that he didn't do anything useful 'til his 40th birthday... and then he did so much!  If he could, why not any of us?
I also have that list ^-^... and I agree about the movie.
I didn't finish my first dragonclaw till the day before my 50th birthday...

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2010, 07:48:18 AM »

I also have that list ^-^... and I agree about the movie.
I didn't finish my first dragonclaw till the day before my 50th birthday...

Completely agree!  I started MBOI/MakintheBestOfIt in my 30's, graduated college in my 30's and plan on ruling the world somewhere around 50!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »
Let's do it!

Offline zalida

• View Profile
Introduce Yourself
« Reply #471 on: January 05, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
My name is Lidija Dornik and I am from Slovenia. I paint with passion and enthusiasm.

Approximately 15 years ago I stretched a piece of silk across the frame for the first time and started pulling my first uncertain moves over the fabric. My assistant was a simple little manual, a paintbrush and some sample colors that came with the manual. At first it was mostly all about scarves, which you could give to people as a gift and also some accessories for myself.

I discovered promptly that the silk was a wonderful medium on which one was able to produce fantastic shades of different colors.

With silk you really never know what the end result is going to be like. It’s so unpredictable. Different. The eminent changing of colors after the washing, their trails over the fabric, the slight breakage of the wax and the amazing shades of colors after the final drying, never fail to surprise me.

This is how my first paintings were born. Even the slightest touch of silk as a material is special, but after it has endured the spilling of various colors, it becomes a stunning fantasy.

I focused mainly on Batik technique – the drawing of patterns with hot wax. This technique is especially dear to me because with its help, I can achieve more determined strokes and patterns.

Batik has enchanted me as it is a very unique way of painting and artistic creation.

I paint by inspiration. Usually I sketch the patterns into my notebook. But sometimes the ideas come quite spontaneously, during the process of painting. I use a multitude of colors which I combine among themselves. For me, painting is an unstoppable source of energy that flows between me and the medium through which I express myself. Painting on silk is an immense source of ideas, an infinite row of paintings which I wish to share with everyone else.

I had painted only those patterns on my scarves and shawls that I would be willing to wear myself. These scarves take time and must be created slowly with the intervals of washing and drying. This contributes to an array of different patterns, captured in a special personal touch. Each scarf or shawl is painted manually in many layers.

The paintings are inspired by the impressions of nature around us and sometimes also with imaginary patterns. They are also a product of multiple phases of washing and drying. I simply love the various combinations of colors and shapes, which are joined in rustic Batik decorations, and I hope you shall like them too.

Applying the wax by hand is a technique that is used mainly on uniquely painted products.

My web page:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/zalidasilk
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:21:04 PM by zalida »

Offline bevie

• This was taken in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Creations by Bev
« Reply #473 on: January 06, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »
Well it took me awhile but I finally figured out how to post here..heehhe!!
I was forced to retire in 2005 then put on disability so I thought what am I going to do with myself..I'd been doing some crafty things all my life!  Have dabbled in sketching portraits, making wedding flowers and bouquets and a host of other things, but I felt there was surely more.  That's when an answer to prayer came.  I started ordering gems and sterling silver wire and wah lah I was busy creating one of a homemade jewelry...from there I went on to painting as well..

Offline dreamriverdesigns

• Handcrafted heirloom quality jewelry
    • View Profile
    • DreamRiver Designs
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2010, 01:20:49 PM »
beautiful work Bevie, welcome aboard

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
Hi Bevie I was going to reply to you on the blog but I see you found your way here. If you need any more help please just ask, and welcome to the forum.

Offline SvetasWoolStory

• Greetings from Maine
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Site
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »

Greetings everyone from a new Vendor, from Downeast Maine. My name is Sveta, and I live, work, and create my wool designs from my shop near Mount Desert Island. Ever since I was a young girl in the 60's, I watched my grandma work with fabric and spin wool to make nice things for me & our home in Ukraine. I would then find myself always having needles and thread wherever I went, and was always creating different clothes for my dolls. As I grew older, my love for sewing and fabric took me toward creating custom clothes for myself, friends and customers. Since I moved to USA in 2008, I still do sewing as a business, and I create my wool bags and accessories using the wet felt method.This is my story . I hope you enjoy my wool felt bags and other ideas that come to my mind.

If you would like to view my works, you can look at my shop here under Bags and Purses, or check out my Flickr Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wool-felt-purses/

I would love to hear your feedback on my creations, whether negative or positive

Have a happy day......Sveta and John
I wish you all a great day!!!

Svitlana Malinina ( Sveta)
Downeast Maine
Formerly Ukraine ( Pre 2008)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SvetasWoolStory
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wool-felt-purses/
http://www.squidoo.com/Computer-tips-tweaks

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 06, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
Welcome Sveta and John glad to have you here!

Offline designedbyfrances

• View Profile
    • Designed by Frances
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2010, 10:14:49 AM »
Hi all,

I've just joined and thought I should do things correctly and introduce myself.

I'm a mother of 2, wife to Ian and I make jewellery and have been for a very long time, too long to embarass myself with figures.  I'm very active on the craft circut and love every part of it... even the cold dark mornings and the days of not earning a penny.

Looking forward to taking part in things on the forum whilst it's quiet on the craft event front.

Frances

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
Hi all,

I've just joined and thought I should do things correctly and introduce myself.

I'm a mother of 2, wife to Ian and I make jewellery and have been for a very long time, too long to embarass myself with figures.  I'm very active on the craft circut and love every part of it... even the cold dark mornings and the days of not earning a penny.

Looking forward to taking part in things on the forum whilst it's quiet on the craft event front.

Frances

Welcome Frances and I hope you enjoy the forum, please don't hesitate to ask questions we are a friendly bunch. ;D