Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 1200522 times)

Offline Elena Adams Designs

• View Profile
    • Elena Adams Designs
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:05 PM »
Alright, I've finally found a moment to get in here! I've been watching some of the posts from Twitter, but I'm a little swamped lately. It looks like a great forum, and I'd love to get involved (although I'm sure my involvement will be flaky at best).
My name is Elena Adams, and I've been making jewelry for about eight or nine years. I'm originally from Australia, but moved to California five years ago so that my husband could start a Stanford PhD. I first started when a friend dragged me to a silver jewelry workshop where I learned to cut jump rings and make a double helix chain http://www.elena-adams.com/bracelets/helix_ss.html. I worked at The Bead Shop in Palo Alto until it closed last year as their Web Manager and had the opportunity to take some lessons from some of the Bay Area's best teachers, and even got into teaching myself.
I love chain maille, and am constantly fascinated by what can be done with simple rings. I adore fine gemstones and would rather have a new strand of shiny darlings than most other luxuries.
In my jewelry, I aim for unique, high-end designs, with a focus on chain maille and delicate gemstones.
To pay the bills, I also work for a wedding photographer as Production Manager, where I'm learning a lot about small business and photography. The dream is that one day the jewelry business will take off and be enough to live on.

Offline TheSilveredGriffin

• View Profile
    • The Silvered Griffin
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Lindsey, I've been making chainmaille for several years but have only recently started promoting my work.  I have a very dinky little etsy shop (http://www.thesilveredgriffin.etsy.com) that I hope to add more pieces to soon.  Also, I can be found on twitter (http://twitter.com/kunoichi06).

When I'm not weaving, I write, play massive amounts of video games with my husband, and practice martial arts. 

I'm looking forward to getting to know people and seeing some of the beautiful creations in the forums. ^_^

perpetualspiral

« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
Hi, I'm perpetualspiral...I've been hear since this forum was first set up but have yet to post any projects LOL. But I will change that soon. It has been great seeing and applauding everyone else's amazing stuff.

About me: I'm a 'learn-a-holic', so I may never be really good at any one technique or crafts since I'm always learning a new one. I have been knitting for 10 years though, so I'd say I was very skilled at that. I started making jewelry a couple years ago after my cousin got me interested. Since then I've done basic stringing, fancier stringing, various beadweaving stitches, crocheted with beads and wire, etc. etc. In the near future I plan to learn chainmaille and loom beadweaving as well as wireworking and anything else I run across. My ultimate goal is to become a mixed-media artisan and sell accessories (jewelry, bags, hats etc) online on Etsy etc. I plan on learning to sew better and starting to work with paper and clay, buttons and other found/recycled materials.

I am also a writer, currently I have two blogs - one is very personal writings about my psychological healing journey, and the other is about my invisible chronic illnesses (fibromyalgia/CFS). I don't have a craft blog yet, but I can be found on craftster.org and I also just joined ravelry. Links to all about me, my project galleries etc can be found at my Google profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/ptspiral

The best way to talk to me is on Twitter! @perpetualspiral :) See u around!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
"learn-a-holic" That is a phrase that I have to adopt!  Finally, a word to describe my obsession with "how did they do that!"

Jeanne

« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2009, 07:07:07 PM »
"learn-a-holic" That is a phrase that I have to adopt!  Finally, a word to describe my obsession with "how did they do that!"
Right behind you on that one...

Offline CassandrasCreations

• View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »
I haven't checked in this topic for awhile...Hello everyone and welcome to a great forum.

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »
Just wanted to say welcome everyone-enjoy this wonderful collection of creative crazies!  ;D

Sabine

« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »
Hello there! I'm Sabine, from the UK. I started making lampwork beads about two years ago, and have rather quickly drifted into sculptural beads, roses, butterflies, choo-choos, etc. I make 'normal' beads, too, and I do turn them into jewellery, too, but I'm happiest behind the torch. I found this forum via Twitter, registered a few days back, and just found out I've been approved. I posted some pics in the gallery. Will sort out a banner or something, but my website is www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk, and I'm on twitter as @littlecastledes - I'm very glad I found you all, there is some absolutely gorgeous work on here!!

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2009, 06:07:08 AM »
Hi Sabine...Im on your website drooling. I love the 'A train', and 'Leila'. You do amazing work. Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 28, 2009, 06:15:41 AM »
Welcome to all new members look around and see what's going on there's quite a bit

Sabine

« Reply #191 on: May 28, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »
Thanks so much for the welcome!  :D

Offline CalcedoniaDesign

• View Profile
    • http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6676942
« Reply #192 on: May 28, 2009, 06:23:49 PM »
 8) My name is Dora and I wanted to tell you a little bit about myself, my new company and how I started this business.

Calcedonia is my 85 year old mom's "real" name. I say "real" because when she was in school- everyone thought her name was too long and it was shortened to Dora. She kept her shortened name and when I was born, she named me after her. She is partner and crochets and knits up a
storm-- she tucks in all of threads, tells me what should be fixed and what should be ripped out and redone. She is much faster than me and seems to get even faster the older she gets. We both decided that we'd name the company after ourselves.

I had a unusual journey towards becoming an Etsy entrepreneur. Back when my son was young, I used to spend so much time at the craft store-- one day they offered me a job. I worked there for several years. Later, I branched out and started to sell handmade crafts and supplies at local fairs, churches and boutiques. Whatever it took-- I even worked as a concessionaire at the Fort Hamilton Army Base. Later, I became manager of a Christian book and gift store and opened an online book store on half.com.

I got involved in ETSY when my mom and I made and donated blankets, preemie hats and booties to BABIES in NEED, a non-profit organization out in Long Island. We made scarves out of left over yarn and we donated them to a organization to children in need at Christmas time. My son asked me one day “Why don’t you sell these on ETSY?” And while I didn't know what Etsy was at the time, I quickly learned what an amazing marketplace it is. So we've been working non-stop and are finally ready to launch our online store. I hope you like and enjoy our pieces.

If you have any questions or if there is something that we can specially create for you, get in touch. We love to hear from you!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6676942
twitter.com/calcedoniadesign

Offline CalcedoniaDesign

• View Profile
    • http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6676942
« Reply #193 on: May 28, 2009, 09:56:24 PM »
 8)
Thank you fuzzy feet.... 8)

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 29, 2009, 05:47:09 AM »
Welcome to all the newcomers!  It is pouring outside today so I am going to spend a lot of time drooling over everyone's sites.  I love days like that!