Author Topic: Copyrght violations  (Read 7065 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: Copyrght violations
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
I agree that the artist needs to protect himself but for some reason, owning phrases that are common just seems strange to me.

I would tend to agree with you. I think in the case of Taylor Swift they are well known lyrics that are associated with her. It seems that in cases like this, there is a lot of room for interpretation.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »
I agree with the trademark  on clothing...   That should  be protected  and should  she ever write a book  it should be.   But  the songs that everyone sings and that she wrote for people to sing and enjoy should fall into another category.  Just my feelings....    I'm sure there are legal aspects which I know nothing about.   How many times have  we seen references to Over the Rainbow....   to name only one....  referenced in a pillow case or  room decor for a kid?   
OK  I'll hush  now....   I just want to make sure  you folks understand I have nothing against her.  My grand girl  is one of her biggest fans.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:53 PM »
Well, "Over the Rainbow" was written in 1939.  The copyright has expired if it wasn't renewed:  https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

So that's a very different thing.

Taylor Swift wrote her songs (and SHE wrote her songs) to entertain people.  Sure, it's fun when the audience sings along, and I'm sure she loves that.  But that's not for the profit of the people singing.  If someone re-recorded her songs and sold them, they'd be in violation and she not only could sue, she SHOULD sue.  Same as I can paint Winnie the Pooh on my own personal beehive for my own use and enjoyment, but I cannot - and NEVER WOULD - sell my paintings or drawings of those characters.  They're not mine to sell.  Taylor Swift's song lyrics are NOT ANYONE ELSE'S TO SELL.

Sorry, but she's in the right here, and you're just dead wrong on this one.  I like you a lot, but you are.

And she really doesn't deserve being disparaged.  This is a girl with an incredible work ethic (she took up guitar when she was 12 and practiced until her fingers bled), talent (she's got a beautiful voice and has written most, if not all, of her own songs BY HERSELF), grace and class (she never, ever, even in videos wears skanky clothing; everything is beautiful and classy), and heart and generosity (described in my earlier post about her).  This girl is the best possible role model on the planet for young girls in this decade, if not century so far. 

I applaud her for not letting people take advantage of her, even her "fans" who are ripping her off; she absolutely, positively shouldn't.  And whether they see it that way or not, they ARE ripping her off.  It's theft and it's wrong.

I don't see any difference in writing songs versus books.  They're her words. Hers, no one else's.  They come from her mind and heart and she poured herself into them, and nothing on earth makes a book more worthy than a song.  The laws are exactly the same.  End of story.