Author Topic: Copyrght violations  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Roziespearls

• Newborn & Toddler Bracelets
    • View Profile
Re: Copyrght violations
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 06:51:09 AM »
I found this

Question #90: Who Owns the Copyright to Winnie-the-Pooh?

Answer #90:
A. A. Milne left the rights to Pooh, and his other characters, to five beneficiaries: The Garrick Club, Westminster School, The Royal Literary Fund, the A. A. Milne Family and the E. H. Shepard Family. We understand that Mrs. Milne sold the film rights to Disney in 1961. Christopher Robin Milne sold his rights to the other copyright holders before his death in 1996.

Sometime around 1998, the Garrick Club sold Disney the rights to all of A. A. Milne's characters until 2026 (when the copyright expires). On March 4, 2001, the Sunday Times of London reported that Disney paid an estimated $340-to-$350 million for the rights to the royalty stream, as well as future use of the characters in any media, from the A. A. Milne Trust.

Disney first bought rights to Winnie-The-Pooh (enabling it to use the Pooh characters freely in movies, television shows, theme parks and merchandising) in 1961 and has renewed those rights every year, paying twice-yearly royalties to a group of rights holders. Disney now has the rights to the Winnie-The-Pooh until the copyright expires in 2026. The copyright holders received lump-sum payments for their interests, rather than having to collect their money a bit at a time over the next 25 years. They will retain the publishing rights to the original A.A. Milne book.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2013, 08:20:44 AM »
They went after a daycare center who had a wall painted with some of their characters.  The Litigious World of Disney. 
Does Disney own ALL Pooh, or just the modern/well-known imagery?  There's classic Pooh too, which is from the old book illustrations.  And technically it seems that someone could rework Pooh into their own image/design/concept if Disney doesn't own the NAME "Pooh."

On an aside, I got a call a couple days ago from someone who wanted me to face paint at a party, but come as Minnie Mouse.  Um... NO.  Disney will absolutely go after entertainers who do that.  Not on your life is it worth it to me.

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2013, 09:26:37 AM »
I can't believe this. I thought copyright was just selling guess not. About 2 months ago I found my self in the preop area waiting emergency surgery for a hernia. They put me in the only kids room they have. They use it for preop holding/recovery. plastered all over the walls were paints of Disney characters. They said it helps calm the kidos. So, what that means is disney can go after the hospital. That's just not right.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »
They could, but one thing they don't want is bad publicity.  Can you imagine the headlines, "Disney sues to take Mickey away from sick children"?
I can't believe this. I thought copyright was just selling guess not. About 2 months ago I found my self in the preop area waiting emergency surgery for a hernia. They put me in the only kids room they have. They use it for preop holding/recovery. plastered all over the walls were paints of Disney characters. They said it helps calm the kidos. So, what that means is disney can go after the hospital. That's just not right.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Honestly?  I wouldn't put it past them.  And one thing about Disney is that their employees, past and present, are incredibly loyal and all over the place.  All it takes is for one to see that preop room and report back.

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »
Randy he doesn't like Disney because he was born and raised in Kissimmee. All I heard about for years is how Disney took all that beautiful land. land where as a kid he would fish on. It as all dirt roads back them until Disney. Maybe should tell them. I don't know maybe it would be better to mind my on bees wax. Randy thinks i should. I worked in the operating room for 14 years in Orlando. My career ended over night do to a ankle injury. I loved it cried for weeks after my Dr. said I couldn't do any stand up job. I'm torn because I fill a need to protect the operating room staff from this nonsence. They are so some of the nicest people i've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Even my Dr. meet him in the emergency room over the phone. I can't even begin to tell you how comfortable he made me. Anyway I'm gonna have to think about this.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 11:35:40 PM »
Not all their employees.  I worked for Disney when they took over ABC.  They are a union busting monster.  They also started forcing non-union people into contracts that gave the company plenty of leverage and the employees none.  The cutbacks were awful.  Not a loyal ex-employee.
Honestly?  I wouldn't put it past them.  And one thing about Disney is that their employees, past and present, are incredibly loyal and all over the place.  All it takes is for one to see that preop room and report back.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »
Yikes.  No kidding.

Maybe it's more the ones who worked at the theme parks.  I dunno, I just know a few who are all "WOOHOO, DISNEY!"  One girl I know just applied to be a Disney vacation adviser because she's so into it still.

Me, I kind of hate the company... but always liked Disney World.  It keeps me torn.

Offline Roziespearls

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »
My best friend still works for Disney. in fact she only has a few more years until fully invested. She works in Reservations it's really good pay.  They did cut everyones overtime and made alot of changes which did effect her. She works 2 jobs now and been working both jobs for some time, and yes she is in love with the place. It all about Disney. What do you think I should do tell the OR superviser so at least the hospital will know or should i mind my own peas and q's. what would ya all do.

Tress

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 07:39:30 PM »
It is not just Disney....Taylor Swift is suing Etsy sellers for trademark phrases. http://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/taylor-swifts-lawyers-have-threatened-etsy-sellers 

I've never been a fan of trademarking words that are common language, but some of the comments are downright funny.  The ones that claim that it isn't fair are the first ones that would have a hissy fit if someone "steals" one of their ideas and "copies" it....sorry, off my soapbox now.... :police:

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »
I am not a Taylor swift  fan,  I don't think I've even heard her sing.  I have my collection of CDs which I've been  enjoying for eons.   I do think that Taylor and many other  performers have, as my daddy used to say,  gotten too big for their britches.  How much money does she need?  Are record sales  important enough for an otherwise attractive young woman to make an ass of herself in front of the whole world?   I personally find her behavior ill bred and boorish.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
Actually, Taylor Swift is one of the few stars who's NOT too big for her britches, assy, or boorish.  She's a total sweetheart.

She's one of the few who's never been in the media for drinking, drugging, being lewd or obnoxious, fighting, or ANY other bad behavior.  The worst people have found to say about her is that she dated a lot in her late teens & early twenties.  Know what?  SO DID I.  So do most people; the rest of us just don't have the spotlight on us.

And she is better to her fans than anyone else on the planet.  She's been known to connect with fans on social media & then just call them up to say hi or show up at their houses to give them gifts.  Just because.

As artists, we are all entitled to hang on to our trademarks and copyrights, and we should all respect those of others.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 07:52:26 PM »
Taylor Swift is a great role model for young girls and young women I think. She is polite, well spoken, cares about her fans, and is quite the philanthropist too.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Here, check this out:  http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20873068,00.html

And by the way, they were talking about the lawsuit on the country station here (Eric heard it), and someone pointed out that she may be intending in the future to develop & market her own line of clothing and other products with the trademarked phrases from her songs, so it totally makes sense that she'd need to protect them from other manufacturers.  Even small handmade ones.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
I agree that the artist needs to protect himself but for some reason, owning phrases that are common just seems strange to me.