Author Topic: Search doesn't show items with tags Valentine Cards  (Read 1041 times)

Offline DeesseBoutique

• View Profile
Search doesn't show items with tags Valentine Cards
« on: February 04, 2013, 02:50:07 AM »
Hi - New to this site - but not new to online selling (Etsy, Ebay, ArtFire ) and I am not understanding why the search is not bringing up that simple request. It not only doesn't bring up my recently listed Valentine cards, it doesn't bring up any of the Valentine cards listed on the site - not even with the Advanced search tool.

That is unfortunate with Valentines only 10 days away.

What is the problem ?

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: Search doesn't show items with tags Valentine Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »
Not sure what the deal is but when I did just a "Valentines" search cards from at least two other shops came up - along with several pages of other items. The pinup card in your shop came up when I entered "valentine card"

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »
You need to make sure you use your tags, all your tags should become search terms as well.

Offline DeesseBoutique

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »
That was just using the general search bar at the top of the page ?

I am perplexed then.

I have just done a search for "Valentines Cards" (plural both words) and I get "0" results, then
Valentine Card singular and only 1 item came up (my PinUp card) yet I have 2 card styles listed as do other shops.

It makes no sense that the plural of the word gets less results - it includes the actual word, and should bring up more results, not less.

Last night (early this am) when I searched just "Valentines" all that came up were some miscellaneous Valentine items, about 10 listings of the exact same item and no cards at all.

Do we need to have the singular and plural versions of ALL words for the search to work ?

FYI - I have the terms Valentines,Victorian Valentine, Vintage Valentine, Glitter Valentine, Valentine Card, Greeting Cards, Fancy Valentine

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
Yes, I used the search bar at the top.
In my opinion, unlike Etsy (which I do have a shop at) there are no limits on how many tags you use here - I would recommend loading up on any and all that would suit your work - singular, plural, colors, occasion, handmade etc.

Offline DeesseBoutique

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:58:26 PM »
Yes, I guess that is the best advice. Just load up on any possible phrase - but I still think a basic search should find the phrase in plural automatically if it is there in singular first as the word is already there.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:34:40 PM »
I agree the search can definitely use some improvement.
Since you are so new, you probably are not aware that we are in the process of changing developers. Our new one is starting in a couple of weeks.
We are going to be working on some site improvements and maintenance issues shortly.
In the background though we are actually going to rebuild the site again as we need to make some improvements in some areas. So we'll definitely address this further.