Author Topic: Response to others asking for information about how you make your items  (Read 3749 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
I had another seller on Etsy ask me for tips and glaze recipes.  She said she is taking a ceramics class at her community college.  How would your respond?  I just thanked her for her interest in the mugs she mentioned and told her that I could not give away specific methods and hoped she understood the necessity for this.  I also suggested she direct her questions to her teacher.  She said she loved the mugs and wanted to make something in that color.  I figure if she liked them so much, she could buy them. :)

myeuropeantouch

Re: Response to others asking for information about how you make your items
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »
 :D ;)
I happened to agree, a good Designer never gives away their resources nor how you make your items. If YOU wished to do that you would teach a class....righto....

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:37:22 PM »
Frankly, I think that is an example of extreme nerve to ask someone how to make something they sell so you can make it yourself and deprive them of the business.  You were absolutely right not giving the info. 

Offline WyndwalkerCreations

• Today is a great day to be CREATIVE
    • View Profile
    • Wyndwalker Creations
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
If she is taking a class she should ask her teacher, they should be able to help get the color she wants. I think you handled it right.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:32:52 AM »
All good responses, I would not give that kind of information away.  I had someone here asked me to tell them how to make my "caged pearl" bracelet.  I did sort of, but not exactly.  I had the same feelings at the time.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:01:49 AM »
Thank you all for your responses.  I agree with Uniqlets that she had some nerve to ask.  From her profile, she seemed to be a hobbyist, not a business.  So far, I have not heard back from her. :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »
Lisa is so right. That is really nervy! I wouldn't say either! Good for you for standing your ground!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
"Wow, thanks so much for the compliment!  My recipes and techniques are the result of many years of education, investment, practice, research, and experimentation.  Your best bet is to keep learning and over time you'll work out your own favorite methods."

I get a lot of similar questions from newbie face painters about supplies & techniques, and give a similar answer.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »
Larissa, you are a pearl of wisdom...love that one.... ;)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
LOL, chalk it up to lots of experience with would-be leeches & a requirement for diplomacy in the day job.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:18 AM »
By the way, Shari, would you please post your process & recipes?  Preferably with step by step photos.   ;)

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:06:11 AM »
That question is right up there with "How long does it take to make your item?" I stole a line from a famous artist (I cannot remember his name) when after he was asked to do a sketch on a napkin for some adoring fan, did so, then told the lady he wanted $5000 dollars for it. She exclaimed "it only took you a few minutes to complete" His response was (paraphrased) "Lady it took me 83 years, and fifteen minutes to do the sketch!"
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:02:52 PM by Dragonclaw »

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
Good for you!  That was the right way to approach that!

"Trade Secrets" are trade secrets for a reason.  The current jewelry class I am taking and that Rasmussen Gems has completed, is a "Closed Industry", this means that only those with either an In or say a family business KNOW what goes on and how it all works to form the final piece.  Just like a glaze or other medium, there are steps, recipes and other devices that a jeweler will use that are not necessarily available to the public.

I had a similar thing happen, except it was from an Pinterest Pin, someone re-pinned my item with the caption "I'm going to make these".  Made me mad at the time, but after a lot of thought, I realized that unless she could take it apart via the photo she wouldn't figure out how it was done.  Or she would have to go through tons of books, sites, and instructions searching for the pattern I made.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »
Larissa, may I quote you? That is the most clever remark I ever saw;)
Lisa is right too, very nervey! The problem is that person may be ignorant, and a hobbist, but it is out there on a board or in a discussion, hello! Other people listen in and steal the info other no nice or totally honest people.

I wasn't feeling up to snuff and a person asked how I dod the texturing on a painting, my little secret I use and I was so flattered I told her last week. It is a lifetime of learning. I am glad I am not alone I felt selfish for not giving back and I do give back plenty, Geez!