Author Topic: My ugly beads  (Read 4440 times)

Jeanne

My ugly beads
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:58 PM »
Kris and Deb wanted to see my lampwork.  Why I don't know.  Here are the ugly beads.

More can be seen on my blog. 

Sabine

Re: My ugly beads
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »
Great going, Jeanne  :) I had a gander over at your blog :) The main thing I found difficult to do was to avoid getting sharp ends, making sure the hole has a nice 'pucker' inwards. The guy I had my first lesson with said to make a disc of a bead (i.e. just going round and round on the same small 'footprint'), then to melt it down slowly. That really helped (although there are still plenty of beads worthy of an 'ugly bead contest' in my pile   ;D

Offline Manic Butterfly

• View Profile
    • Manic Butterfly Jewels
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
Not bad Jeanne!  :)

Jeanne

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
Great going, Jeanne  :) I had a gander over at your blog :) The main thing I found difficult to do was to avoid getting sharp ends, making sure the hole has a nice 'pucker' inwards. The guy I had my first lesson with said to make a disc of a bead (i.e. just going round and round on the same small 'footprint'), then to melt it down slowly. That really helped (although there are still plenty of beads worthy of an 'ugly bead contest' in my pile   ;D
Thank you for the hint.  I saw that idea on one of the tut pages I visited.  That's how I got the bead that looks like a bird's nest on my blog.  I am having trouble with the bead release so I ordered some that Jolene recommended.  We'll see if I can make better beads after that comes.

Also, thank you for looking at my blog.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
Don't think of them as ugly.... Think of them as unique  ;D

Jeanne

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
Okay, Matt, they are unique and uniquely ugly.   :evil:

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »
I actually quite like them, the colours are interesting and the shapes are too. I particularly like the pear shaped red one.

Jeanne

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 10:58:31 AM »
They're not ugly, they are a work in progress.  What kind of torch are you using?  The kind of torch you are using greatly affects what type of beads you are going to make.  I have had that 'nest' look before, just make sure you are properly heating your glass till it is bright orange or white (depending on your torch).  It does involve a lot of practice.  If you need any tips let me know, I majored in glass blowing in school and did lampworking as one of my classes for 3 years.  I also have a studio set up at my parents place:)
Good luck and don't get disheartened, you'll be amazed at what glass can do!

Thank you for your offer.  I took Jo's advice and changed bead release.  I made four or five beads this morning and I will post pics of them after they cool.  I think I might have some that actually are pretty.  Maybe...lol

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
They're not ugly, they are a work in progress.  What kind of torch are you using?  The kind of torch you are using greatly affects what type of beads you are going to make.  I have had that 'nest' look before, just make sure you are properly heating your glass till it is bright orange or white (depending on your torch).  It does involve a lot of practice.  If you need any tips let me know, I majored in glass blowing in school and did lampworking as one of my classes for 3 years.  I also have a studio set up at my parents place:)
Good luck and don't get disheartened, you'll be amazed at what glass can do!

Thank you for your offer.  I took Jo's advice and changed bead release.  I made four or five beads this morning and I will post pics of them after they cool.  I think I might have some that actually are pretty.  Maybe...lol
Rember... practice, practice, practice. That's how anyone becomes an expert 8)

Jeanne

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 02:53:24 PM »
Here are my latest beads.  The purple ones are the ones with the new bead release.  Am I getting better.  Tell the truth, please.

Sabine

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
Oooh, that was quick, lol! I just demanded pics over on the other thread, and here they are! Yes, they are better, clever you!! The two bottom ones of the purple look like they have no sharp ends at all??  :)

Have you got a marver? If your edges have got sharp, it often works to heat the bead up and roll it gently (you'll have to experiment a bit, you don't want it falling-off-mandrel hot, just a bit squidgy) - so you end up with a tube rather than a rugby ball, if that makes sense?

Great going, looks like you're hooked!  ;)

Jeanne

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Oooh, that was quick, lol! I just demanded pics over on the other thread, and here they are! Yes, they are better, clever you!! The two bottom ones of the purple look like they have no sharp ends at all??  :)

Have you got a marver? If your edges have got sharp, it often works to heat the bead up and roll it gently (you'll have to experiment a bit, you don't want it falling-off-mandrel hot, just a bit squidgy) - so you end up with a tube rather than a rugby ball, if that makes sense?

Great going, looks like you're hooked!  ;)
Now, with the new bead release, I am hooked.  I can't seem to stop.  I have a marver and what you say makes a lot of sense. If I take care, I think I can get the edges knocked off with the glass grinder.  Gonna try it with an earlier bead.

Again, thanks everyone for your encouragement and help.

Jeanne

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »
I spy a perfectly round bead with dimples in that top pic. Getting there hon.

A little tip, try to keep your mandrel perfectly level when you rotating and melting down your glass wraps in to the bead shape. This will stop the glass from slippiing down the mandrel when it is liquid hot which is what makes one hole pointy.

Let us see your next beads soon

Jo x

Thanks for the tip, Jolene.  Since I saw this post, I watched what I did and found the problem.  My arms get tired when rolling and they start to droop.  Any fix for this?

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »
keep working at it!  take a break!!!!  Jeanne I'm impressed - This has all been interesting reading - and you talking about your arms getting tired - I think I may run into the same problem if I ever get the bead kit!  Keep working at it - you'll get it! 
I'll post my ugly beads when I finally get the kit - then we can let everybody vote on the ugliest!! lolo
so, what's the bead release you switched to???
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Jeanne

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 08:53:21 AM »
Thanks, Kris.  Ugly bead contest would be great.   ;)  I switched to Fusion Bead Release and something that took the place of Blue Sludge.  I really like the Fusion.  The other is for heavier work I think.