Author Topic: Dramascape in watercolor New work-this is hard but fun:)  (Read 1428 times)

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
Dramascape in watercolor New work-this is hard but fun:)
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »
This is more play with watercolors, I was going for drama.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
Re: Dramascape in watercolor New work-this is hard but fun:)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
Gosh Pam, I am just learning my way around the watercolor, your comment really spurs me to try even harder:)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
I love your work but this is not doing it for me. :(

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »
Lovely work Nancy! Shared :D

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 02:42:39 PM »
Now you make me curious, what don't you like about it? BTW I am not offended, just curious, art is relative we have different tastes.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
Now you make me curious, what don't you like about it? BTW I am not offended, just curious, art is relative we have different tastes.
That is very true!
I like the idea - and the somewhat monochromatic scheme - however I do think it would be better if there was a bit more going on in the foreground - and some darker and lighter shades to give it all more depth and dimension.    If you started the hills a little lower on the paper and not run so many of the tops off  I think it might work better  composition wise.  The sky is awesome and a little more of it would be cool  imho
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
That is very true!
I like the idea - and the somewhat monochromatic scheme - however I do think it would be better if there was a bit more going on in the foreground - and some darker and lighter shades to give it all more depth and dimension.    If you started the hills a little lower on the paper and not run so many of the tops off  I think it might work better  composition wise.  The sky is awesome and a little more of it would be cool  imho
Thanks Kris! I totally agree about the mountains or hilss, and I thought the sky should have been the focus after I saw it dry. That's the thing it is different when it dries, I am so new to the way it works, the critique really helps me. I am enjoying the learning process so much, I have a feeling I will never really learn it all, but what fun to try?
I think one thing I must combat is using the whole canvas or paper, when I use canvas I paint it all, even the sides sometimes. With water color it usually must be matted and you lose part of your composition.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
I think with this particular one, it's more of a  slight composition thing that doesn't work more than anything else.  You'll get used to how the colors dry and be able to figure out what your doing better.

One way to work  with the paper and having a border - either tape it or draw a very faint pencil line.  The lady that I took a watercolor class from always tapes her paper to a board with several layers of paper underneath,  which I think many watercolor artists  do - it also gives you a nice clean border.  I usually use cheap masking tape, but there is paper tape that works well, it's just more expensive.  the cheaper masking tape comes off better than good masking tape!
Are you familiar with the Golden Mean regarding art? also known as other things like golden ratio,  here's one explanation http://www.goldennumber.net/art-composition-design/
and yes, sometimes,  rules are meant to be broken, but sometimes they are good thing to have.
It can actually be kind of fun just playing around with different colors and the grids that can be produced from this theory.  It is mathematical, but based on nature. 

Critiques if done right should help you to understand what can make a painting/drawing better.  and you also have to keep in mind that what the person giving the critique may have a different view point than what you are trying to accomplish.   I think most of your paintings would go  into more of a Folk Art category, but this one ( and a couple of others) is quite different for you. Trying out different mediums,  styles and techniques is a good thing, it's a learning process, and shows you aren't stuck.  There are 2 artists from Alb. that are pretty well known, and they both have hit on a style and type of painting that they have been basically repeating  for 25+ years - they sell!   I would love to see each of them do something different - and it would probably sell because now they have enough of a following that someone would buy it just because they did it!
Two of my painting instructors taught for many years,  I was able to go back into their work and see the changes they made - they are still selling their work.
sorry for the long drawn out reply.

Learn it all?  good luck, but it's fun to try!!

Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
I think with this particular one, it's more of a  slight composition thing that doesn't work more than anything else.  You'll get used to how the colors dry and be able to figure out what your doing better.

One way to work  with the paper and having a border - either tape it or draw a very faint pencil line.  The lady that I took a watercolor class from always tapes her paper to a board with several layers of paper underneath,  which I think many watercolor artists  do - it also gives you a nice clean border.  I usually use cheap masking tape, but there is paper tape that works well, it's just more expensive.  the cheaper masking tape comes off better than good masking tape!
Are you familiar with the Golden Mean regarding art? also known as other things like golden ratio,  here's one explanation http://www.goldennumber.net/art-composition-design/
and yes, sometimes,  rules are meant to be broken, but sometimes they are good thing to have.
It can actually be kind of fun just playing around with different colors and the grids that can be produced from this theory.  It is mathematical, but based on nature. 

Critiques if done right should help you to understand what can make a painting/drawing better.  and you also have to keep in mind that what the person giving the critique may have a different view point than what you are trying to accomplish.   I think most of your paintings would go  into more of a Folk Art category, but this one ( and a couple of others) is quite different for you. Trying out different mediums,  styles and techniques is a good thing, it's a learning process, and shows you aren't stuck.  There are 2 artists from Alb. that are pretty well known, and they both have hit on a style and type of painting that they have been basically repeating  for 25+ years - they sell!   I would love to see each of them do something different - and it would probably sell because now they have enough of a following that someone would buy it just because they did it!
Two of my painting instructors taught for many years,  I was able to go back into their work and see the changes they made - they are still selling their work.
sorry for the long drawn out reply.

Learn it all?  good luck, but it's fun to try!!

Thanks Kris, I had not thought of the golden rule, I rarely think when I start painting it just flows out. I went and read the link though maybe it will stick in my subconsious,that could help:)
Yes, I love constructive critiques like I got here from you all. I find it very useful not to change my style or go with what everyone likes, but to grow as an artist. I think growing occurs when you look at a "thing" through the eyes of others, I often see something different or a better way to do what I am doing.
This piece was learning and I may go back and do something with it later, I often turn them over and paint the other side:) I waste very little.
You were helpful Kris, thank you:)