Author Topic: Altering an old art form should it be done?  (Read 13244 times)

buddingcreations

Altering an old art form should it be done?
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
Hi all,
I am wanting to add ganutell flowers to my shop. The art of ganutell flowers is traditionally done by twisting fine wire and silk floss together and forming flowers.

but instead of twisting it with wire I like the idea of just using the silk floss like in the photo below, but the problem is when i bend the petals for shaping the floss loosens in spots and it doesnt look as pretty. Is there a way to stiffen the thread without the need for the wire? or should i just stick with the way it was traditionally done so i dont ruin the integrity of the artform.

Any thoughts would really help. Thanks

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
Re: Altering an old art form should it be done?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
Is it possible to determine how the individual pieces will be bent (at least initially) so that you can affix the floss to a prebent form thereby lessening the need for so much bending when you put it together, this may help the floss stay tight.  Of course, this may require some additional bending to get it just right, but much of it could be done prior to 'flossing' it.  I would think.

Just my opinion, never did this before so I really don't know, just a thought process starting here.

buddingcreations

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:04:15 AM »
Thanks pam, that is a great idea! I will give it a try and see if it turns out any better :)

desertrose0601

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
There is definitely something to be said for learning the "right" way to do something... however... advances in art and design always come because someone got an idea and said, "Hey! Wouldn't it be easier/better/more interesting if we did it this new way?" So... go for it! Art is meant to be something that you experiment with. The old ways were once new ways that were changing even older ways, so you're right in line with history in trying to update something!