Author Topic: Hit Me With Your Best Shot  (Read 17108 times)

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
Hit Me With Your Best Shot
« on: September 23, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
OK, don't really hit me, that's not nice.

I would very much like to know what I am doing right and what I am doing wrong.  Overjoyed that I have received one sale, wondering why I have not had more, and what I might be able to do to bring more traffic not only to Handmade Artists in general; but generate some real interest in what I have in the shop as well.  I know some of my photos are horrible and I am working on trying to fix that.

Ideas, suggestions, general comments, all are welcome.

On yer marks.  Get set.  Go...
https://handmadeartists.com/shop/TheAlchemistsVessel

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: Hit Me With Your Best Shot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »
Okay...  here's my 2 cents...

Your banner is clear and crisp and easy to read.  Your shop announcement is brief and to the point - a good thing for search engines I think.  Your avatar is awfully dark and hard to decipher what it is.

Congratulations on your sale, and I'm not surprised that you have a sale already.  Your work is really stunning.  But you are right about your photos...  I am a fan of not-white backgrounds.  But since you work mostly in silver, the gray backgrounds on your photos make everything seem so dark and the pieces blend into it too much.  Maybe it would work better if you add more light to the staging when you take the photos.

Good job on your policies and bio.  Keep promoting like mad and I think you should do very well!

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:08:37 PM »
Your shop is a good size, I think I have too many items in my shop, but I have no other venue.  I love your work, and especially the torc.  I have had 4 sales in three years here, but several about 30 sales have resulted from people looking here then contacting me outside of HAShops.  Perseverance is the name of the game.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
Thank you both for taking the time to have a look.  I was hoping for one or two more critiques.  I will take what you two have to say and see if I can't improve the shop.   Thank you again, it is appreciated.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 02:02:17 AM »
Okay, you wanted more so I looked with my most critical eye.  I think you could add something in your announcement to make your personal presence felt.  The only other thing is that I prefer your photos against the simple gray background to the wood, green, etc.  The jewelry really stands out against it and I like the consistent look.  If you have a chance, please tell me what is wrong with my shop.  I am taking new pictures soon, but I know it needs work.

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 09:23:09 AM »
Thank you all for your comments.  I have a quick question for you guys.  IKnitQuiltSew mentioned the photos against the gray background are too dark and can't be seen well.  Does any one else notice this or could it be a computer screen resolution issue?  All computers and screens are different in the way they handle (pixelate) a photo.  I would like to try and find a balance between the gray and the piece so they don't compete.  I agree I am not a big fan of the wood or the green, but I was in hope that the background didn't compete with the pieces.

More personal in the Welcome line.  I can do that.

Thank you all.

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:49:41 PM »
On my computer, the gray looks great and the pieces really stand out.  It might be a monitor question. 
Thank you all for your comments.  I have a quick question for you guys.  IKnitQuiltSew mentioned the photos against the gray background are too dark and can't be seen well.  Does any one else notice this or could it be a computer screen resolution issue?  All computers and screens are different in the way they handle (pixelate) a photo.  I would like to try and find a balance between the gray and the piece so they don't compete.  I agree I am not a big fan of the wood or the green, but I was in hope that the background didn't compete with the pieces.

Thank you all.

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
Thank you so much for your response.  So it is just the different monitor thing.  I borrowed my friends iPad, tried an HP laptop and a cellphone.  All the devices had varying degrees of clarity or light / dark tones.  So I guess depending on what the customer is using to shop is how the photos will appear! Thank you again.

On my computer, the gray looks great and the pieces really stand out.  It might be a monitor question. 

Thank you all.