Author Topic: opinions  (Read 19672 times)

Offline SunflowersOasis

• View Profile
opinions
« on: September 10, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »
Hello new friends!! I have only added a few things. I would be ever so grateful if you guys could stop by my shop and check it out to see if you think my style would do well for this site. My stuff is a little different. Please dont hesitate to give all opinions. I want to add more but would like to see the outcome and opinions of others before I take the time to add the rest. Don't hold back on your opinions. My style is very different then most! Much love and thank you sooo much for taking them time to help!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:04:10 PM »
I usually stay away from critiques, but I'll jump in as I really want you to succeed.
For everyone else her shop is here https://handmadeartists.com/shop/SunflowersOasis so please help if I miss anything.
  • You need a banner
  • You need an avatar
  • You should use all 5 pictures in your items
  • You have items with no descriptions
  • Make sure your descriptions are detailed, size, length material, get inventive, remember people can not see or feel your item.
  • Under your shipping profile you need to fill out your ship from location.
  • You need to fill out your shop policies.
  • You should add a signature and avatar to your forum profile http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile;u=6313
I'm sure that others will give much more input, but that is a start for the basics. If you go here you can find help on shop set up https://handmadeartists.com/faq.php?data=
If you go here you can get some selling tips http://handmadeartists.com/blog/category/selling-tips/
The important thing to remember is that the customer needs to connect with your item. To do that you need great pictures and great descriptions. If you read through the selling tip articles you'll find tons of good info. You have one good thing going for you, and that is you jumped right into the community, there are so many wonderful people here that will jump in and help you be successful. So keep hanging out in the forums and tweaking things in your shop and you'll succeed.
Hope this helps,
Andrew

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 09:22:21 PM »
I will wait until you have finished what Andrew pointed out, but one thing immediately needed is to correct misspellings such as in the hemp ring, "with" is spelled "wit" (sic).  As Andrew said, your images, etc and the only interaction you have with the potential customer.  Look at other shops for policies especially returns/repairs.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
First thing I noticed was that you just have one photo per item.  On stuff like the bikini tops, that's fatal, because if I were to be in the market for those, I'd want to see more than just the chest area, I'd want to see from the back and how the strings & closures looked.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 08:01:02 AM »
I have to agree with all, Larissa, John and Andrew.  I love the items, but some are not clear in the photo because it needs more light.  I had to change my photos for this reason as well and I still work on my photos to try to make them better.  For the clothes and crochet bikini top, more angles, front, side, back and more information would be nice.  I am not an authority by any means, just my view.  Hey, who am I, I am still trying to get mine right.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 08:26:09 AM »
You are building great variety with the few items you have loaded, which is wonderful.  I checked your Etsy shop, too, and they are both similar.  You really need more pictures per item, and more detailed descriptions.  But finishing your shop set up (avatar, banner and policies) really needs to get done first.

I think you will do well once your shop is complete.  We will be DELIGHTED to promote you all over the place once that happens!

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
I am so glad to welcome you, I think you will do very well! The only thing I can add is be sure you tell people you handmade your items, maybe even talk about the process, don't give away your trade secrets:) just make them like you. If you seem human people will be more interested in your item:) I think you have very cut things, are they cotton? rayon? synthetic? That is always important info too. Let us know when you are ready so we can promote your shop.

Offline SunflowersOasis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Thank you guys so very much for all the help you have offered me! I will take everything you all have said and try my hardest to add it to my changes. I am still learning the internet world of business. I am used to setting up tables and selling my things. So I am clueless to this. I definitely agree that pictures make a world of a difference! I will do my best to make it a better and worthy shop so hopefully one days soon I can get a spot on facebook congratulating me on my first sale. Much Love to you all and thank you so much for all your help :)

Offline SunflowersOasis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:13:57 PM »
Also I have been trying to figure out how to add a picture and banner but can find pictures that will fit the size. How do I go about adding one?

Offline SunflowersOasis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »
Correction I meant my banner. I can't figure out how to add it because of the pixel thing

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »
Take it to picassa and resize it to the correct pixel and it will load correctly.

I think!!!!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
Correction I meant my banner. I can't figure out how to add it because of the pixel thing

There should be photo software on your computer, perhaps what came with your camera, that should have a "crop" option.  If you want to use a single photo, it's best to crop it to the stated size, rather than to try and stretch or skew it.

Hope this helps!

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
I know I'm late in replying.

I like the name of your shop, cute!  Have you thought about incorporating a "known" visual image into your Banner or basic advertizements, like business cards?  I would suggest a cropped portion of Vincent van Gogh's Sunflowers.  (Of course).

Your items are super cute (and so are you).  If you're uncomfortable with modeling after twins, grab a friend that is a camera ham, dress them up and go for a fun photo shoot!  Nothing says "buy me" like a cute person in the outfit doing something fun.  Check out a fashion magazine for settings or pose ideas.

I have trouble with my photos, too.  Does your camera have a Macro setting?  That works great for detail shots (rings, bracelets etc...)  Check out Youtube for your camera's make and model, there may be tutorials on getting the most out of your camera and how to take the best photos with it.

I hope that helps.