Author Topic: A Pinterest Promotion Ring idea  (Read 15207 times)

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
A Pinterest Promotion Ring idea
« on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:25 PM »
Are you on Pinterest?  (Recently they opened it up to everyone so you no longer need an invitation in order to join!)

Pinterest, if you haven't heard of it, is a social bookmarking site.  You create a board, and then “pin” pictures to it.  These can be things you upload yourself, or any image on the web.  Other users can follow your boards, repin your pins (although I recommend clicking through and pinning the original source), “like” them just like on Facebook, and comment on them.  If you've seen an Etsy treasury, it kind of reminds me of that, because basically you are curating a variety of boards with all of the things you like.

I used to think Facebook was a huge timewaster as I get so lost in reading updates, etc., but I've since realized that I waste ridiculous amounts of time on Pinterest.  That sounds like a negative, doesn't it?  (Well, it is if I should have been working on jewelry, which is most often the case.)  But I know if I'm sitting here lost in looking at all the cool stuff posted on Pinterest, there must be tons of other people out there doing the same thing.  And wouldn't it be awesome if what they were looking at and repinning was something made by YOU!?!  I really see potential in Pinterest to get our handmade creations noticed, even moreso than Twitter or Facebook, which really only promote to the people within your network.  Every day on Pinterest there are people liking and repinning my pins (not my handmade either, as I haven't started doing it yet), and there are always new people that do this.  This is probably because you have the option to view your “home” page to see "everything" being pinned, or just the boards you are following.  You can also do searches, so people may be finding things that way as well.

So, that said....on to my proposal. :)

I'd like to keep it simple so it's easy to administer, and quick and easy for people to do.  Instead of putting people in groups, I'm thinking of using a running list.  This way no one would have to wait to be the featured person as everyone on the list would get pinned on a daily basis.  Plus, anyone could jump in at any time without having to reconfigure groups, or wait for a start date, etc.  Eventually everyone on the list would be pinned by everyone else, increasing your exposure to more and more people.  On top of that, you can connect your Pinterest account to both Facebook and Twitter if you like, which means even MORE exposure as your pins get some visibility there as well.

The requirement:
  Pin at least one item daily. (By all means, do more if you feel so inclined! ;)) Wherever you fall on the list, you would start by visiting the site of the person directly below your name.  (If you are the last person on the list, then start at the top of the list.)  Then the next day you would go to the next person on the list, and so on.

(I also realize that people are busy...so the goal here really would be at least once a day, but if you aren't able to do that I'd understand, it's inevitable, and I don't want to be militant about it.   I would say that "catching up" then and pinning some items from the sites you have missed would be acceptable to me.)

Pinning:  Check out the shop, site, blog, etc. and pin at least one item to an appropriate Pinterest board.  (Note:  If you are promoting a blog, it needs to have an image on it in order to be pinned.)  A lot of people have “My Style” type boards.  You could create a special “Handmade Love” type board to pin to or something like that.   Pinterest is all about blabbing to the world what you like, love, gotta have or can't live without.  The idea would be for us to actively promote each other using Pinterest, but in a way that's genuine and doesn't make it obvious that we're doing so.  I want people seeing it to think “wow that's pretty I need to see that” vs. “ok I can totally tell that's an advertisement.”  So, for example, instead of posting something that says “Jane Doe makes really awesome hand-dyed scarves, you really need to check these out!” say “beautiful hand-dyed scarves, love the color – by Jane Doe Accessories”.  I'm sure you get the idea.  It's all about sharing what you like, so just say what you like about it.  (And including the shop's/site's name or .com in the description should also help promote your name/brand, etc.)

UPDATE! (8/19/12) We will have a community board to post to.  It is called "It's Better Handmade".  Those that sign up will be invited to join this board.  It doesn't hurt to post to another board you have (as mentioned above) but please make sure you pin to this community board at least.  This will be a good way of being able to keep track of participation.

If this idea works, hopefully other Pinners will visit the shop, repin the items, and make a purchase!   

Also, if you want to check what from your site has been pinned, there is a way to do that.  I used handmadeartists.com as the source in this example, so to check other sites just put in the .com of the site.  Check this link out and you'll see all the cool handmade stuff that's been pinned from handmadeartists.com.  http://pinterest.com/source/handmadeartists.com/

And if you're new to the world of Pinterest and aren't sure how to pin when there isn't a “pin it” button already on the page, within Pinterest click on “About”, and then click on “Goodies”.  There's an install button that will put a “pin it” link right inside your browser's toolbar.  All you need to do then is click it and it'll bring up all the images it finds on the page, so all you have to do is pick one.  :)  Also, I came across this good article last night about using Pinterest for business, which you may find of interest.   http://www.amyporterfield.com/2012/06/the-10-commandments-of-using-pinterest-for-business/

I also found this site that creates images just for the purpose of being usable on Pinterest...how cool!  https://pinstamatic.com/  So if you have a blog post without images, you could use this to make one about the topic of your post, etc. and have something to pin.

It appears as tho there is some interest in this since another member has already posted a topic about it!  I will set up another thread to get a list started.   Reply to the thread with your user name and the website you want to promote.  I can keep track of a list and update it as necessary, and just post it on the thread.  (And really the list will be created based on the order of responses.)  We can give people time to check out Pinterest or give this some thought, and if there are a few of us who want to try it, maybe we could set a start date in, say, a week or so?

And it'd be great to get feedback from everyone to see if it works and gets someone a sale, or if you at least notice an increase in traffic to your site or product views.   

Karen

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: A Pinterest Promotion Ring idea
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
Nice! Let me be sure I can pin without any troubles on my iPad since I will be traveling between Aug 25-Sept15.... actually I think I have a Pinterest app on it already so it shouldn't be a problem....except my shop will be CLOSED then....maybe not a good idea after all  :o

Offline DianaShyeJewelry

• Classic beauty and elegance in modern form
    • View Profile
    • DianaShyeJewelry
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:21 AM »
Do I need to go into Pinterest and edit the text for all my jewelry items that I posted from my Etsy store to put in the link to the store?  By the way, are you sure it's OK to publish links to shops, etc., on Pinterest?  I know that it's not permitted on Flickr.  But any photo I post from my Etsy store always has a link to the store, even if I don't put the link in my text.  That's why I haven't put the link to my store in my text until now--it looks too much like just plan advertising.
DianaShyeJewelry

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »
I think if you pin an item from a shop in HAS it adds a link, but only to the site. It will not take them to your shop.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
If you click on a pin, it will take you to a page showing the pin, likes, comments, etc.  If you go to that page and click on the pin, it will take you to the source page.

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Ok since there seems to be a little confusion....I did a sample.

I went to RiverRockArts' HAF site and found something I liked.  :)  This is what it looked like on the front page of Pinterest.

When I click on the pin, they will be taken to another page, which looks like this:

When someone clicks on the photo, they will be taken directly to the item in RiverRockArts' shop, like this:

@DianeShye - No you do not need to update or change anything on Etsy, etc.  We're going to visit your shop, pin something you've made and that should be it!

Does this help?

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Thank you for using my vase as an example.  I had an idea for our pinning.  I was recently invited to pin to a group board.  After someone joins it, it would show up as a board in that person's board section.  If we did it this way, it would appear a lot more since all of us would have the same board on our profiles.  I have one called It's Better Handmade that was used for something previously.  Maybe we could use a group board with that name since Andrew and Kimberly now own that.  What do you think?

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
I had thought about doing a group board as well, and think it's a good idea.  We may want to watch out for duplicate pins though as we go along since we'll all be randomly visiting each others' sites and pinning items, so maybe just a word of caution on that? 

But other than that, another good thing about it would be that we'd all see what has been pinned. 

Do you want to make your board a community board, and invite us?  I guess I should have also asked for everyone's pinterest ids too!  I'll go back and add mine to the sign up post.  I can add the others in and will update the sign up asking for this info too.   

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
oh and ps, to be fair I've gone and pinned an item from each of the shops who have replied. :)  I was going to do it earlier, but was in a rush to go for a nice stroll with the hubby and the dog.  Here's proof (LOL).

Oh and one more thing.  I have seen tons of pins that link back to Etsy shops, or other stores for that matter.  I do not think that's an issue at all, especially when adding a price to the description automatically adds that little price tag banner right across the pin. What I HAVE read about Pinterest, however, is that they do not want you out and out using it for commercial purposes, so if you toot your own horn too much, I think it can get you in trouble.  So creating this ring was my idea of getting self-promotion by actually tooting everyone else's horns so someone toots mine.  ;)

Offline FormedInFire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »
I love pinterest!
here is my link. http://pinterest.com/formedinfire/

Going to reread the instructions/rules.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »
I think if you have a lot of boards with a variety of pictures that outnumber your own items, they won't say anything.  However, I have seen some profiles that are nothing but pins of items for sale in their own or other's shops on all the boards. 

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
I had thought about doing a group board as well, and think it's a good idea.  We may want to watch out for duplicate pins though as we go along since we'll all be randomly visiting each others' sites and pinning items, so maybe just a word of caution on that? 

But other than that, another good thing about it would be that we'd all see what has been pinned. 

Do you want to make your board a community board, and invite us?  I guess I should have also asked for everyone's pinterest ids too!  I'll go back and add mine to the sign up post.  I can add the others in and will update the sign up asking for this info too.   

I agree that we would have to watch out for duplicate pins.  That could be a problem.  I had the idea because the one I joined seems to get a lot of exposure both with the people on it and those who follow them. 

I can make mine a community board.  It's one that was made for a pinning event some time ago, and I have not used it for anything since.  I suggested it because it has the name It''s Better Handmade.  Do you want me to invite all those who signed up?

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »
Will this be ongoing? I'd like to join but after my travels.

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
I think if you have a lot of boards with a variety of pictures that outnumber your own items, they won't say anything.  However, I have seen some profiles that are nothing but pins of items for sale in their own or other's shops on all the boards.

I agree.  I know you can do your own items, but it's not supposed to be your main "thing".  That's why I think we're fine with a Handmade board...we're just saying that we like each other's things, and so we're pinning them.

Offline kmarie0218

• my current picture
    • View Profile
    • My Lil' Craft Shoppe
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 10:21:06 PM »
I can make mine a community board.  It's one that was made for a pinning event some time ago, and I have not used it for anything since.  I suggested it because it has the name It''s Better Handmade.  Do you want me to invite all those who signed up?

Yes, please do make yours a community board and invite everyone who signed up.  I think after I'm invited to it I would be able to invite additional people that sign up?  Thank you!

(And I'm only on one community board, which is a recipe one.  It's a nice board, but when you see so many pins repeated I've been afraid to post to it.)