Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 20335 times)

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
Opinions please
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:13:20 PM »
Hi all.  I am soon adding a large number of new items to my shop and possibly removing the old ones.  I know that my things will appeal to a small niche market which I have been having trouble finding.  I also thing there is a problem in that they kind of need to be seen and touched.  However, I believe my shop has some shortcomings so I would greatly welcome all ideas and criticism of my shop, merchandise, etc.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:54:29 AM »
I'm not going to critique your shop, but instead ask a question. Why would you remove old items, are you taking them somewhere else to sell? If not you should leave as many items as you can in your shop as that will give you more chances to sell.

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:24 AM »
Only comment would be, it might help if you linked to some other folk with favorite items and favorite shops.  They could then link to you also.  That way if someone is say shopping in my shop and they like what I have, they can also look at places that I like.  Your banner is very good.  Prices are in line.  Pictures are in focus and well composed.  I agree with Andrew, why remove items?  You are already sorting products with sections.

John
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
I guess that makes sense to leave things.  I thought it might make it more obvious that nothing is selling. I didn't realize I could link to other shops, I will have to do that.  I do have links to others on my website, but it does not seem to be getting many hits.
Thanks for looking John and Andrew.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
I looked at your shop and I think your pieces are very good, can't wait to see the new things that you add.

I just have one question for the response you received.  How do you link to other shops and I suppose we should ask or notify the other shop that we are doing it right?

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »
I think he means add things to your wish list. Once you are logged in to your shop you should be able to add things to your list when you see something you like.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
Thanks for answering blue! You can see add item wish list or add seller to wishlist. You can view your wish list on your shop profile page.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
My wish list is HUGE, but it's really meant as like the HAF version of an Amazon wish list in my world... I want my husband to check it out and shop for me!

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »
My wish list is HUGE, but it's really meant as like the HAF version of an Amazon wish list in my world... I want my husband to check it out and shop for me!

hahaha....I can't even get my hubby to turn on the computer, let alone look at my wish lists...and I have many!
Debbi

Offline LottiesTrinkets

• Handmade Artistan Jewelry
    • View Profile
    • Lottie's Trinkets
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »

Larissa,
Print of said list multiple times and leave it in all his fave places around house......  next to beer in fridge, next to hot dogs......... next to TV remote.... you get the idea?

Lise
Lise Spence-Parsons
Owner & Designer Lottie's Trinkets
www.lottiestrinkets.com
www.lottiestrinkets.etsy.com

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
The banner is great, exactly what a banner should be.  Your name, Business Name and visual clues (photos) to what it is you do, besides the word jewelry.

Pictures are nice and clear.

The only thing I might suggest is playing up the piece in the description.  Your Steampunk pieces are so cute, and as others have said, leave those items up people like to look through stuff. 

You are right, Jewelry is very tactile.  People want to pick it up and look at it, touch it, turn it over in their hands, hold it up against clothes or wrist or ear, to see how it looks.  Maybe try writing a little more in the description that gives people the idea they are holding and touching it.  Information, we want information!  What size it?  How long, wide, thick, thin, who is it for, men women, Steampunk Fashionista?  A little more detail and I think you have it!

Offline Uniqlets

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
Thanks for your comments.  You are definitely right about the descriptions.  I have been lazy about measuring things and putting in sizes, etc.  I become bored when descriptions are long so I have to remember that not everyone has a short attention span.  A real photographer who needs a new portfolio is going to take pix for me in a photo studio so I hope to be able to get more of the feel in the pix.  I was also thinking of doing some of the additional pix on a human being.  What do you think?
The banner is great, exactly what a banner should be.  Your name, Business Name and visual clues (photos) to what it is you do, besides the word jewelry.

The only thing I might suggest is playing up the piece in the description.  Your Steampunk pieces are so cute, and as others have said, leave those items up people like to look through stuff. 

You are right, Jewelry is very tactile.  People want to pick it up and look at it, touch it, turn it over in their hands, hold it up against clothes or wrist or ear, to see how it looks.  Maybe try writing a little more in the description that gives people the idea they are holding and touching it.  Information, we want information!  What size it?  How long, wide, thick, thin, who is it for, men women, Steampunk Fashionista?  A little more detail and I think you have it!

Offline TheAlchemistsVessel

• Maille Misfit
    • View Profile
    • The Alchemists Vessel
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
As long as you focus on the piece and not the model, I think that will be fine idea.
On other sites, people tend to use the model as the focal point, if they are selling shirt, I am looking at their tummy, I'm not buying the tummy, I am buying the shirt.  Well not any more because I can't see the shirt through the tummy.  Tight close ups of bracelets on wrists and the collar bone for chains, etc.  You're selling the jewelry, you don't want your shopper / customer focused on the dress, hair-do, or anything else of the model other than the jewelry.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for your comments.  You are definitely right about the descriptions.  I have been lazy about measuring things and putting in sizes, etc.  I become bored when descriptions are long so I have to remember that not everyone has a short attention span.  A real photographer who needs a new portfolio is going to take pix for me in a photo studio so I hope to be able to get more of the feel in the pix.  I was also thinking of doing some of the additional pix on a human being.  What do you think?