Author Topic: What kind of scam is this  (Read 7121 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What kind of scam is this
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
They could be using stolen credit cards, or even be doing something as simple as confirming that your email address is active for them.to spam with a bunch of crap.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
If someone contacts you about items in your store and then asks for your site address that should scream scam to you. If they send you an email to your email address and then ask for your email details, again scam.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 08:05:05 PM »
I get them in my personal email, mine are not hook to HAS, mine are from my other place Fine Art America.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
I've gotten them before and it always sits in my head scam...no scam...scam...no scam.  Some of them are getting really good so you go with your gut.

I did have one that I almost brushed off as a scam that came from Hong Kong but went ahead and started emails with.  That one turned into an order for 160 champagne glasses last year which was my biggest order to date.  Sometimes it is just so hard to tell.

Offline Momwithahook

• Momwithahook Crochets
    • View Profile
    • Momwithahook Crochet Journal
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »
I used to get emails like that when I sold via Etsy. If you think it is a scam - any question in your mind - first google it as they usually send to multiple email accounts - this will show whether others have had the same email.

Another place to check is mail scams with the USPS and I agree with the other poster - no certified checks - My father got mixed up with one of those, luckily I told him to google it and he eventually believed me.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
I hope you don't end up out of pocket Nancy  :(
Thanks Jolene for your concern
I still am not sure if this is legit or not, I am just going to let God deal with it, I have no control. I have not seen any money yet.
I did check and she/he not sure is not on any scammer lists, even the fine art scam lists. Don't worry I will use wisdom in all the transactions with them. I don't want to lose this sale, I can really use a sale.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 11:14:47 AM »
So the sale I had turned out to be a scam, and could have been very bad for me. This ring is using forged signatures of legitimate corporations to send checks, they accidentally send triple the amount they owe when you contact them it is some tragic family situation that caused it because a friend helped and misunderstood directions ::)
Then you get an email from the friend or husband or wife what ever the story and it is very urgent you make a wire transfer through western union to another address because they are in the middle of moving. It all falls on you, they can't trace them,it's all smoke and mirrors
Don't take certified checks.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 01:57:46 PM »
The sale would have been lovely but on the positive side it is good that you have found out in time Nancy x
Oh yes, but still it would have been a chunk of change I could really use, it is mean of them to do that. I know they are really hitting artists hard lately, I guess they think we are business mined and desperate. Fortunately most of us are smarter than the average bear:)
BTW- I enjoyed your streaming bead making:) you make it look like a cake walk!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
 :( I'm so sorry Nancy! Like Jolene said, at least you found out BEFORE you shipped anything. Ugh, some people! :police:

Nancy Pace

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
:( I'm so sorry Nancy! Like Jolene said, at least you found out BEFORE you shipped anything. Ugh, some people! :police:
Thanks Teresa:) I figure I have something better just around the corner. I need to proof read before I post, good thing you all can understand my meaning xoxo

Nancy Pace

Re: What kind of scam is this Update!! I got a check!!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
This is totally a scam, today I got a check for $2000.00! It should have been $500.00, it was deliverered UPS had a tracking # and no paper work, and it had a return address of Hartford Ct from Eatna Life Insurance Co. but the check was from John Hancock life Insurance Co. and was an official check with a foil security seal and watermarks, cut yesterday delivered next day. Since I was not expecting any money and I do not have that insurance I tried to contact the insurances but they will be closed until Monday.
When I got back from lunch with my children I had an email saying to expect the payment and the tracking # from the package asking me to acknowledge receipt so they could arrange pick up of artwork.

My hubby called the FBI I am sending digital photos and hard copies of the check and envelope it came in  to them, it is definitely a scam but they doubt they will catch them. They said it is like nailing jello to the wall, very slick.
They told me to not answer any more communications and expect them to get threatening but not to be alarmed it is just a threat they never follow through, if they do that say they are going to call the FBI tell them forget, it say the FBI is aware of them and block them from my email.
Everyone be very careful, Teresa if you haven't please change your email password, they can hack your email and get all your info and if you bank on line that could be where they get you.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
I've gotten a few in the past with the "shipping co" thing - I just ignore them! It kind of sucks - you get your hopes up that you've got a sale - but then get dashed!  Nope just stay away from them!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
Holy crap, I've known of this scam, but never have known anyone personally who was an attempted victim!  So glad you're too smart for this and called the FBI.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 08:24:27 AM »
I know we were floored when a check for $2000 came out of the blue with no explanation. I am not afraid, just annoyed Jolene. I am really glad I didn't give them my cell phone #.
I had to leave for a few hours after the check came and when I got home the email arrived telling me about it with the tracking #.
I am just curious now to see what happens next.

Offline RDHwirework

• View Profile
    • RDH wirework
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2012, 10:45:56 AM »
My other job is internet customer service, which includes answering emails and we see far too many of these scams. I haven't yet seen one in regards to my jewelry, thank goodness. This is what I watch for at work:

Asking to reconfirm the site and/or email address ~ obviously they already have this information or they couldn't have contacted you

Insisting on payment via bank transfer, certified check, or Western Union specifically to a person rather than a business. Bank transfer? Really I do not feel bad for people that are silly enough to give anyone their account info. I can't believe there are scammers that think they can get ours (I work for an international retail company). Certified check and Western Union scams have been made extremely popular on Craigslist because there are so many people that fall for them. Personally I will not give out my address to someone to send me a certified check or any type of Western Union. Not only could it be a scam to steal an identity, it could also be the first step in a robbery. If they are unwilling to send the Western Union payment in a business name instead of a person-to-person transfer it is also a big clue. Why would they refuse to send it to a business?

Extremely poor grammar and/or strange spacing in the email ~ yes grammar could be off if English is not the first language, but there is a distinct difference between lingual differences and the type of non-grammar used in these scams. The really odd page breaks and extra spaces are a dead-giveaway too.

Asking if an item is still for sale that is obviously still for sale. Oh, you think that item in my shop might have sold and somehow didn't get removed? Really?

Any sob story. Twisted but true. I mean, if I email a company, artist, etc I'm not going to pour my guts out. Would you?

Any time they offer to send more money than you are asking, no matter the method. A popular one is to say they want you to forward the balance to their courier. Forget it. Any real customer will take care of that themselves.

Any time they need to arrange pick up with their courier. Legit customers using a reshipper or freight forwarder have an assigned number or box, kind of like a PO Box system. YOU use YOUR carrier to send the purchase to the company and they deliver it from there. Also note that if you are sending a real order to a real customer that is using such a service that you should not be responsible for loss or damage after it has reached the reshipper.

All in all, the scammers are getting more an more clever. It might take an email or two before you can weed some out. Just be extra careful what type and how much information you provide in an early contact. And don't forget, PayPal can be used by anyone. If they are unwilling to open an account to transfer the money, there must be a reason why.

Hmm, I think I just wrote most of a blog post...