Author Topic: Any walkers In Our Group?  (Read 6138 times)

MarilynKelleyArt

Any walkers In Our Group?
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I really need to get some weight off. I live in a great neighborhood and thinking that I'll start walking. Thinking about purchasing a pair of skechers. Do any of you own a pair?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Any walkers In Our Group?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:39:24 PM »
No sketchers...Nike girl here!  Usually go through a pair a year between walking, gym, and work.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
I wear Easy Spirits, I buy new ones yearly. I walk and do weight training in mine. I also take hikes with my grands, and I am still over weight.
I am not consistent like I was when I was younger now I tend to take long breaks with no good excuse! And I am easily lead astray :-[

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:26:53 PM »
Fforgot about Easy Spirits. I had a pair years ago and they were very comfortable. Believe it or not, I've never owned a pair of Nikes. Just really need to get some weight off. I'm only 5'1", so 20 extra pounds makes me about as wide as I am tall. :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 11:40:01 PM »
If you're talking about the Sketcher's Shape Ups, be careful.  There've been a lot of injuries reported with those.

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »
Really, Larissa?  They do look a little radical, but that's why I had read that they were good walking shoes. Guess I need to do a bit more investigating. I'm 65 and not as sure footed as I once was, so need something with really good support and comfort.

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:17:49 AM »
Thank you, Larissa.  I have enough problems with arthritic knees and don't need any other problems. So glad that I didn't purchase these.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:25:23 AM »
Yikes!  I'm glad I saw this and got to you beforehand.  Stick with good walking shoes/sneakers.  I've always been a fan of Nike.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:40 AM »
I bought a pair of those shape up type shoes.. I wore them for a couple of weeks then stopped wearing them when I had achilles tendon issues.. which still havent resolved several months later. I walk everywhere due to not driving and I thought they would help me lose my excess weight.. they don't.
So yeah, get a good pair of walking shoes.

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:29 AM »
Thanks everyone! I'm so glad that I stopped by here before purchasing shoes. I was pretty set on getting the Skechers.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »
I bought a pair of those shape up type shoes.. I wore them for a couple of weeks then stopped wearing them when I had achilles tendon issues.. which still havent resolved several months later. I walk everywhere due to not driving and I thought they would help me lose my excess weight.. they don't.

Oh no!  Have you been to a doc?  Does it look like your tendons will heal?

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »

Oh no!  Have you been to a doc?  Does it look like your tendons will heal?
No, havent been to my doc about it.. should mention it on the next appointment LOL I only know I didn't have pain before I bought the toning sneakers.

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
Fforgot about Easy Spirits. I had a pair years ago and they were very comfortable. Believe it or not, I've never owned a pair of Nikes. Just really need to get some weight off. I'm only 5'1", so 20 extra pounds makes me about as wide as I am tall. :)
I didn't care for Nikes, or Adidas, New balance,or Reeboks. I think I have tried a few others and they hurt my feet or don't give me enough support, and I like a light weight shoe. I guess I am picky.
Marilyn I am 5 feet tall too and 20 pounds can really look bad on us.
I suggest you just go try a few pairs on, see what feels good when you walk in them, good luck!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »
I have found that NEw Balance Cross Trainers are best for me. Enough room in the toe box and the support is good. I have bad knees and need to wear these everyday. It was also suggested that I curb the walking because it puts too much stress on the knees with the constant pounding. My doctor suggested a stair step machine, riding a bike,swimming, stuff like that. Good luck with the shoe thing. You may have to try several brands to find one that works for you. I've had regular Sketchers, Nike, Reebok, Avia,... and none of them worked for me for one reason or another.