Author Topic: Any walkers In Our Group?  (Read 6482 times)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
Re: Any walkers In Our Group?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
When I take my dog for walks I have a light pair of New Balance slip ons that work great.  But when I go running I have 2 pairs, 1 that are lightweight for outside and one that is heavier for treadmill.  They're both New Balance and I love them!

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 03:31:09 AM »
Thanks for all the great info, ladies.  Heading out today or tomorrow to look for shoes.

Teresa, I've been a little worried about the walking also. Years ago, when I was much younger, I always walked both indoors and out. Now that I have arthritis so bad in one knee, I'm not sure walking will work for me.  I have a treadmill and a beautiful, safe neighborhood to walk, so I'm going to try it and see how it works. I remember using those stair steppers at the gym and I hated them! lol

I've got to find something that works in order to get this weight off.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »
I have a pair of Sketchers Shape ups... they took a tiny bit to learn balance in them but if I have to spend a day on my feet (like at a craft show) I always choose these shoes, they are the most comfortable shoes I have ever had!

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
Hey Marilyn,

My mom is 71, with arthritis in both knees (one needs to be replaced). She joined an Aquatic Fitness Class last year.  The classes have done wonders for my mom. Strength in her muscles, weight loss, energy, sleeps better… much more.

I know you don’t live here in So. California but this is the link to the site > http://www.socalpt.com/aquatic-fitness < for more information. Maybe there is something similar where you live.

Good Luck Marilyn

(P.S. I wear New Balance… LOL )
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
Cari, I'm pretty sure that our YWCA has aquatic classes. This made me laugh because years ago.....when I was prob in my 30's....I decided to take one of these classes. I walked in and I was the only one under 60 in the class! Now, I would fit right in!  :laugh:

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, ladies.  Heading out today or tomorrow to look for shoes.

Teresa, I've been a little worried about the walking also. Years ago, when I was much younger, I always walked both indoors and out. Now that I have arthritis so bad in one knee, I'm not sure walking will work for me.  I have a treadmill and a beautiful, safe neighborhood to walk, so I'm going to try it and see how it works. I remember using those stair steppers at the gym and I hated them! lol

I've got to find something that works in order to get this weight off.

I walked everywhere and for miles. I never owned a car until I was married so I walked and it was not flat terrain either. I still wlked a lot when my kids were small, with the dogs, etc. I love to walk and still do a bit. I just can't go really far anymore. And I sure understand about getting weight off. I could stand to lose 50 lbs. I just don't have time or money for a gym, and the very few around here aren't very nice anyway. The heat and humidity of the summer will kill you and I've never been good with that anyway. Much of the activity I really like is winter based (except for riding my bike) especially snowshoeing and I can't do that here.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
Cari, I'm pretty sure that our YWCA has aquatic classes. This made me laugh because years ago.....when I was prob in my 30's....I decided to take one of these classes. I walked in and I was the only one under 60 in the class! Now, I would fit right in!  :laugh:

I joined the warm water exercise class in town while I was pregnant and I was the only one in my 20's.  There was another mom there who looked about 30 so I didn't feel tooooo awkward  :laugh:

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
So I finally took the leap and bought a pair of Vibram FiveFingers for my walks... and while they take a bit to get used to, I really like them.  My feet feel stronger and my legs feel like they get worked in slightly different areas.

I swap back and forth between the FiveFingers and my favorite shoes of all time, Keen's (yeah, the standard Newports, I know.  Once got stuck and hiked 12 miles in them and not a blister to be found... I was sold.).  If I con myself into jogging, which I loathe, I prefer Saucony running shoes.

I walk 2 - 6 miles a day.  I live in a neighborhood with 9 miles of roads but there is a big 2 mile loop that my house sits on so the pup and I walk the loop at least once earlier and then again later with other walkie-type neighbors and the husband.

But, if you really want to lose weight and not hurt yourself... get a bike.  We're pretty avid bikers (both mountain and road) and that's the best workout ever.  The awesome part is that you actually get to make it somewhere!!

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 03:41:09 PM »
lol I wish I liked biking.  I don't mind it, but it is definitely not my favorite method of transportation :D

My friend and I are going to run our first 5K next month!  I'm excited and scared.