Author Topic: Shop Critiques  (Read 43786 times)

Offline ArtbyNancyPace

• The difference between can and do is the doing
    • View Profile
    • Art by Nancy Pace
Re: Shop Critiques
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
I got nothin'!
Love your work ^-^
Andrea said it! I like your profile, very cute. My favorite are the copper bracelets,they look fun!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
I looked at a few products and thought the descriptions could be a little longer, maybe a bit more descriptive with actual size. A few were like this http://handmadeartists.com/product-details/Jewelry/Bracelets/Copper%20Wire%20Cuff%20with%20Painted%20Wood%20%20Red%20and%20Brown%20Beads/?pid=20120720070955820dc
Says that is will fit anyone, but someone may want to know how long it is. Just a thought.

Offline Jewelrybyjane29

• View Profile
    • Jewelry by Jane 29
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 06:53:23 AM »
Great thanks for the critique and your time you are absolutely right !  I will take your advice and work on the descriptions asap.  This part of the job is the hardest for me, but I need to slow down and do it right!  thanks again

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
I have nothing to add, either - I noticed in one of your descriptions that you state that your shop is certified hand crafted. 

By whom?  What does the certification entail?

Offline Jewelrybyjane29

• View Profile
    • Jewelry by Jane 29
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
OOps!  That is an error!  I am copying my listings over mostly from my shop on Artfire!  They give you that title if everything you sell is handcrafted.  I will have to go through and correct that. 

Thanks
jane

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:51:12 AM »
I've never been to your shop before so I will give you my first impressions.

Overall, light and bright.
Your banner looks a little 'stretched', like it was resized to fit. It may just be the picture in the banner.
There are a couple of options to consider if it is being stretched to fit. One would be to add a border around the banner so it fills the space without stretch. Or create a new banner with the right dimensions.
The other issue I see is pictures. They look good, however due to the way the HAF shop resizes pictures on your front page they look cut off and non uniform.  So consider using a program like Picasa to crop pictures so that the cropping on HAFshop doesnt mess them up. This will help make the pictures more uniform. This item has pretty much perfect dimensions, so maybe work off that one to bring the others into line. Again if your pictures a bit small don't try to stretch them, add a border to keep picture looking great.
Some of the pictures have a bit of blur, which can be combated by using a tripod or something similar to stabilise the camera during photo shoots.
Your descriptions could do with a little work. Try describing the item to a person who cannot see it. Whilst they are overall good, a little boost never hurts. There are occasional spelling errors (none of us are perfect :)) and the occasional 'keyboard, fingers and brain in wrong order' blip.
I love this piece, it really is gorgeous, but your description lets it down. Your titles work great for SEO, but it isn't backed up by the descriptions. Use the words of your title as keywords in the description, embellish it a little, and ensure all the important details are there ie. materials used, size, dimensions, techniques used etc
A boost to your bio will help you engage your audience too. Give them a little bit more of a peek into who Jane is.
Your shop policies are good, to the point and clear.
Your work is fabulous! A few tweaks here and there and your shop will complement it even more. The rest I'm afraid is promotion, promotion, promotion.. oh and a bit of luck :)

Offline Jewelrybyjane29

• View Profile
    • Jewelry by Jane 29
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »
Wow Haffina, Thank you so much for the tips and the honest critiques!  I do use Picasa for my pictures but I will have to figure out how to re-size etc. correctly!  Yes I do have a problem with descriptions, and I will try to use your suggestion.

I do have a question though about my bio!  I never know just how much to say about my life.  I am afraid I will scare buyers off if I tell them too much!  For instance last year I had cancer, and my mother passed away.  Do I say that or not!!!   And I am a little bashful to brag about accomplishments, such as President of a Chamber of Commerce, REALTOR of the Year, Retired Real Estate Broker, these things aren't Jewelry related but they did help me get to where I am today!

Thanks For your time

MarilynKelleyArt

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 07:26:17 AM »
Hi, Jane! I love your work! The only thing I saw was in your shop policies. I see a lot  Etsy sellers do this. When you say "convo" me, many will not understand that, since it's a term used on Etsy. I would just say contact me.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:29:41 AM »
Wow Haffina, Thank you so much for the tips and the honest critiques!  I do use Picasa for my pictures but I will have to figure out how to re-size etc. correctly!  Yes I do have a problem with descriptions, and I will try to use your suggestion.

I do have a question though about my bio!  I never know just how much to say about my life.  I am afraid I will scare buyers off if I tell them too much!  For instance last year I had cancer, and my mother passed away.  Do I say that or not!!!   And I am a little bashful to brag about accomplishments, such as President of a Chamber of Commerce, REALTOR of the Year, Retired Real Estate Broker, these things aren't Jewelry related but they did help me get to where I am today!

Thanks For your time
The things that shape you, that help you be the person you are, they are all parts of your story. Your story is what connects others to you. You don't have to delve into things deeply, but sometimes when people read something that connects them to you, a shared experience or feeling, it can make them more comfortable doing business with you.

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 01:49:59 AM »
I would love to have someone critique my shop.  I listed products but not sure what else needs to happen there.

thanks

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
I would love to have someone critique my shop.  I listed products but not sure what else needs to happen there.

thanks

I went and took a look at your shop.  I can't put my finger on it, but your banner didn't draw me in - it's almost as if the photo behind the words "A Bead Thing" are a watermark.  Maybe it's just me.  Your shop announcement is short and too the point, but left me wanting more.

I read through your shop policies and they seem to be fine.  You state that international shipping will be determined at purchase.

Your bio is certainly complete, but check the dates on your life altering events - there's a "/" missing in the first one.

Please understand that I think everyone here will agree that photo is a four-letter word.  I do like the ovals that you used to frame three of your listed items, and maybe you could adopt that throughout.  But overall, your thumbnails didn't inspire me to click the items - my opinion (and it could just be what I am seeing) is that you really need more fill light throughout.  I scrolled over the titles of the items on the shop home page, and didn't find out what the pieces were in the titles... for example - Circular Twin  or Emeral Sparkles just isn't enough and Emaral needs a 'd' on the end. 

I did look at each item and its description, realizing quickly that you work with seeds beads and wire wrap - two skills I don't have and which fascinate me.  I was so upset there weren't more and clearer pictures!  Some of the descriptions indicated approximate size is # - #.  Are your pieces made to order and that's why the size is approximate?  The bloodstone piece had the longest description, where you listed some information on supposed medical benefits, which although interesting, didn't sell me the pendant.

All your pieces show international shipping at $0.  Going back to your policy statement that international shipping will be determined at purchase, I think you need to change that dollar amount in shipping.  The way it sits now, if someone buys an item and they are outside the US, I think the sale will go through with free shipping.

Hope this helps!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Ok, give it a go...I have not had a sale....wnat to know why.... :-*

(exception a custom item I listed here so I can show at least 1 item sold.)