Author Topic: DUH! moment -- tags  (Read 3318 times)

Offline ArtfulFolkStainedGlass

• View Profile
DUH! moment -- tags
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:47:07 AM »
Sometimes these things are so simple we overlook them.  This is not an original idea but comes from a teammate on another team.

Are all of your items tagged:  Handmade

You know shoppers do google "handmade (fill in the blank)" and it would be a missed opportunity if you didn't show up.

Any others?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DUH! moment -- tags
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
I use handmade in all of my tags or keywords. I even thought of coding into all new products that no matter what their keywords are handmade will be one of them. But we didn't do that.

It is absolutely critical to use good keywords and descriptions and pics. I see so many 1 line descriptions. If you right click on any item, you can view sorce, at the top you will see the meta keywords, this is what google reads. You would be surprised how many people only use one or two. It should be 10 or 12.

The point is if you take all the time in the world to make something you should at least take a couple of minutes to write a good thorough description and add some keywords so you have half a chance at selling something.

I watch new vendors all the time, and in my mind I'm like, they are going to have a tough time selling. If you pics, descriptions, and keywords are not good you will struggle selling on line no matter where you sell. It's a fact!

FidelaTresori

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 08:16:34 AM »
Has anyone ever set up a thread so vendors can submit to have their shops critiqued for these things by each other?

Offline gemlover

• Contributor
  • All that glitters is not gold!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
another to use is "unique"

john
John Atwell Rasmussen, PhD, AJP
Lapidary, Gemologist, Geologist, Artisan Jeweler
email: john@rasmussengems.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
Oooooooh, John, that's good!

Monica, it's happened at various times, but it's always a good idea.  Although I don't think other people can see your tags.  Unless I'm missing it.  But asking for a critique and suggested tags could be good.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:07:17 PM »
We've had a critique section in the past, I think it was when we still had our Etsy team. I added a critique board here http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php/board,49.0.html
As far as tags or keywords being public, we can do that. If people want it, right now it would be low on the list.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »
I'm actually not a fan of public tags, just commented on that in terms of critiques.  But I think if people suggest tags as part of their critiques it'd be totally unnecessary to change the actual tags in the shop to public.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
I think keeping the tags unseen is a good thing.  It may be of interest to other vendors, but to buyers I think it just adds to the possible clutter.
I like the idea tho of a shop critique and also people suggesting tags.  Handmade and variations of are in all my listings. 
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

FidelaTresori

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
I think mine are good. but I really don't know for sure, or if the order they're in makes a difference.  I've been doing this a little over a year and there are still some of the SEO considerations I'm still just not sure of at all, or what else there is I simply don't even know about the whole thing.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 06:59:22 AM »
I agree with adding clutter to the page by showing tags, especially since we just got the pages more streamlined! 

Nancy Pace

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
I try to add art,original,handmade,and my name or intitials to each listing, as well as details like the main color,theme & materials.
I am not sure what works, I just keep trying to learn from experience ,mine and anyone who cares to share.
I would not care for public tags,too messy.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
Long tail keywords are important, if not more important.
Keywords like handmade are more important for the site as a whole not necessarily your listing.
It is not likely you will be able to compete for a keyword like handmade for your particular shop as it is a tough highly competitive keyword.

So long tail keywords are anything between the commas, meaning it doesn't have to be one word.
So when I say 10-12 keywords, that means 10 to 12 commas separating, but the keywords can be more than one word. Say one to four words.

So say you would have better luck getting found with long tail keywords.
For example the keyword "Jewelry", good luck getting found.
How about "handmade exotic jewelry", you'll have a better shot.
Does that make any sense?

FidelaTresori

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:08 AM »
Makes perfect sense, Andrew.  Thanx! :0)