Author Topic: Question about views  (Read 4134 times)

Offline ArtfulFolkStainedGlass

• View Profile
Question about views
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
So, not to be skeptical or anything, but. . .

I'm new.  I'm not technologically competent, so it is taking me longer than I'm happy with to get the hang of listing items.  Thus, I only have 6 listed in about a week.

My concern is the number of views.  5 of my 6 items have over 200 views.  Really (sarcastically)?  In less than a week?  :-\

Since I know that can't be correct, is there any way to determine from where these views originate?  If the bulk of them are other crafters who are "viewing" I can't say I'm particularly impressed.  If it's an inflated error I get it and will mentally assess at about 10 percent.

But really, what's the deal? 

P.S. I also have a "booth" at Bonanza opened at roughly the same time.  There I have 102 items listed (easy import even for me) with a TOTAL of 292 views (which makes a WHOLE lot more sense) and a breakdown of which items were viewed and how many times (which also made sense).

So, how do we determine our true activity?

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: Question about views
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »
Does Bonanza automatically tweet new listings to over 150,000 followers? Do they Google+, Stumble, plurk, Facebook your items and shop? This may be part of the reason why you are getting so many views  ^-^

Offline ArtfulFolkStainedGlass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
I dunno.  Evidently with all those tweets and posts and announcements a lot of browsers are clicking purely for entertainment and not with any intention of buying.  I'd be far more interested in fewer clicks or "views" from potential buyers than in clicks for entertainment value.

It's said that only 1 out of 5 "shoppers" online have any intention of making a purchase -- the other 4 are simply looking for ideas.  I'd rather market to that one rather than the mass of lookers who just want ideas. . .

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 11:14:43 AM »
I is my idea that the more people that see the items you put in your shop....the more of those "1" who are actually shoppers will come.....therefore the more likely sales you will have.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
You can't exactly block tire kickers and idea hoarders.  And you can't know who's who.  And sometimes people will surprise you.

Look at it this way:  I make 100% natural bath & beauty products.  Soapmom came here, making 100% natural bath & beauty products.  Of course I checked out her stuff, and I'm sure she went browsing through mine.  And in her shop, I saw her Critter B Gone spray.  It's a 100% natural alternative to that horrible Off or even Skin So Soft.

I didn't go make my own; I bought hers.  (and by the way, it works great!)  I'm honestly not all that interested in even creating or marketing my own.  I'm happy supporting her and buying from her - and telling others to do the same, even.

So had she been able to block me from seeing her things (physically impossible at any rate, but we're talking in fantasyland here) because she was all wary and skeptical and worried that I'd just steal her ideas, she'd not have gained me as a customer, and likely a fairly regular one.  And by extension, she'd not have gained Kimberly & Andrea (and possibly Monika) as customers as well, since I gave a positive review of her product that induced them to buy from her.

You never know from whence sales will come.  You never know.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
And to answer the original question, yes, those are views.  Andrew & Kimberly have a ton of twitter, Facebook, and other social media accounts on which they automatically promote almost every item that gets listed in the shop.  And since things sound interesting, people come look.  They're probably mostly window shopping at that point, not necessarily buying, but you can't tell who's saying, "Oooooh, I like that!" and bookmarking your shop or making a mental note.  And then 6 months down the road, when it's time to find something new for the house or buy a gift, they come on back to get what they want... and you have no idea that they were one of those 200 initial clicks from your first week here.  But they were.

I saw AmongTheRuins post a bracelet here months ago that I coveted as a birthday gift for my sister.  My sister's birthday is May 11, and I honestly was short on cash.  So I waited a few months and THEN bought it for her.  Doesn't mean I didn't see it or want it immediately... but I knew it was there, and made note, and got it when it came down to it.  I also plan to get some of Blue Highways' journals for people, though I haven't bought a single one yet.  Just because I'm not impulse shopping doesn't mean I'm not shopping.  And that's the majority of the population.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
We do the best we can do, we have people that watch and make sure we are posting tweets before they post. All I know is we do the best we can do, and sometimes those initial views from twitter turn into sales. BlueHighways, sold a journal in 24 minutes yesterday. So it works.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
We do the best we can do, we have people that watch and make sure we are posting tweets before they post. All I know is we do the best we can do, and sometimes those initial views from twitter turn into sales. BlueHighways, sold a journal in 24 minutes yesterday. So it works.

I also think it depends on what's being sold, how quickly it will turn into a sale.  Something that's $30 or less, people may see, decide they want it, click, and buy.  Something that's $80-100, they need to consider first.  So the initial click is window shopping.  Then they'd come back, unless they find something else more to their taste.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »
This has come up before and I know that some don't care for the click in and away views and wish that they were not counted but there is no way to separate them so we decided better to have those views and a better chance of that one buyer stumbling onto your work than not.  You also have to remember that our Twitter followers know who we are and what we Tweet and follow us by choice so many of them are handmade buyers that love handmade items or they would unfollow us since we don't post anything else on those accounts accept new items, handmade, and new blog posts.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »
I suppose sellers just don't need to worry about this sort of thing at venues where they simply provide a shopping cart & don't bother promoting.

Sifistickate

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »
Do you know how many hair sticks I buy from my own competitors?  I make what I make, and when they make something I love, I buy theirs. 

So *do* be impressed when other vendors come calling, because vendors are also buyers.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Do you know how many hair sticks I buy from my own competitors?  I make what I make, and when they make something I love, I buy theirs. 

So *do* be impressed when other vendors come calling, because vendors are also buyers.

We need a "like" button in this joint.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:17 PM »
So, not to be skeptical or anything, but. . .

I'm new.  I'm not technologically competent, so it is taking me longer than I'm happy with to get the hang of listing items.  Thus, I only have 6 listed in about a week.

My concern is the number of views.  5 of my 6 items have over 200 views.  Really (sarcastically)?  In less than a week?  :-\

I meant to comment on this originally but got sidetracked as I tend to do  :-\   I would worry about anyone that doesn't question things!  Ask as we will do our best to answer and explain ourselves, but if nobody asks then how do we know what people want to know.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »
I have many views on everything I list, I have yet to make a sale here though. I consider it inexpensive advertising for now, as we grow I know I will sell:)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
There is a feature here called Karma, that can be turned on. It is a standard SMF feature. You can give people applauds or smite, so basically thumbs up or thumbs down. Last time I turned it on though, people got their feelings hurt.

But I agree, I target everybody as far as advertising goes, vendors and buyers. Also hoping that vendors will bring some of their buyers over as well. I have no doubt that we will continue to grow at a decent pace as the word spreads. The tough ones for me is when a vendor comes over with the mindset that I'll throw a couple of things up and see what happens. Some leave in a month or two months if they get no sales, some put no effort into the shop at all. They do not even put a link to it on their blog. I can't blame them, but it really is not how it works. If anyone has ever started their own website, they know, traffic is not easy. When I built our first site for Kimberly's hand painted work, we were thrilled if it got 100 hits a day. After a few rebuilds that site still gets several hundred hits a day and orders monthly, but it took like 5 years to get to that point. This last week she has gotten 3 wedding invitations to paint and she got 12 wine glasses to paint, and we do not even promote the site anymore.
So I guess what I'm saying is I'm grateful for whoever joins, but those that do not participate at all, are really doing nothing for themselves or any of us. They come list a couple of things leave, then complain about no sales, which doesn't help reputation. It really is a very strange dynamic. That is one reason why I'm so very grateful for our core members who participate, and help others. Sifistickate you have blown me away, you walked in took of you shoes and put your feet up, grabbed something to drink and joined in on the convo.
I've been actually encouraging new members to check out the forum, you have no clue how nice it is to tell them that we have a wonderful group of people willing to help. That really warms my heart.

I have many views on everything I list, I have yet to make a sale here though. I consider it inexpensive advertising for now, as we grow I know I will sell:)
This is sooo true, I mentioned earlier that I added some more project wonderful ads. So I usually run campaigns and still do, set them and forget them and let them do what they do. But I also usually run some paid ads as well.  To be a vendor on this site with all that comes with it is only $5.00 a month, or .17 a day. Some of the adds I bid on were twice that for a site that doesn't even come close to our alexa ranking. The math doesn't add up, your attitude is a great one to have and you have been incredibly supportive to all of us as well.