Author Topic: A few suggestions about the item listing pages, if I may?  (Read 3405 times)

Sifistickate

A few suggestions about the item listing pages, if I may?
« on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:03 PM »
I hope no one takes this as me being too critical, because that's not my intention at all.

But I just discovered how difficult it can be to add a new item here!

1) The text window is so small it's really difficult to type into, and using Chrome it kept bouncing me back to the top.  I tried to remedy this using copy-and-paste, but while I could paste just fine, once I made a change I couldn't copy it again. :(

2) When the image sizes were too big, there was no "back" button, so I had to start all over again.

3) There was no preview, so I had to finish everything before I could take a look to really see it; then when I discovered mistakes I had to go through and edit from the beginning.

Now, I know these are nitpicky things, and probably not high on the priority list, so please just take them as suggestions, and something I hope you'll keep in mind on long weekends when you're playing with the codes.  :)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions about the item listing pages, if I may?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 07:45:34 PM »
Actually we have the text editor on the list already, to make it larger.
The back button, should go on the list as well and a preview could be considered.
Thanks for the tips.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:50:20 PM »
Ok those two additional suggestions are added to the todo list. We'll continue to work on the list and you'll see improvements as we go.
Thanks for the help, we listen, unfortunately not enough people speak.

Sifistickate

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
Awesomeness!  Thank-you!!!

Unfortunately, not enough admins listen.

I've been places that would ban someone for making suggestions like mine.   :o

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
Awesomeness!  Thank-you!!!

Unfortunately, not enough admins listen.

I've been places that would ban someone for making suggestions like mine.   :o

We would never ban you for offering opinions...we ask for them!  Not saying we will implement every one we get, but we will listen and consider most anything.  We are working on slow and steady growth here and eventually jurying the site to keep really high quality.  With slow growth we can make changes and not worry about blowing anything up!

Sifistickate

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »
I've been a forum owner/admin since 1998, and so far I've NEVER been forced to permanently ban a single productive member. Not one.

But I've been places where "mute" and "ban" are the only tools in the admin's arsenal for dealing with anything.  Whether someone points out a mistake or disagrees with a point or has had a bit of an inappropriate rant (and who hasn't?) they just make the "problem" disappear.

Then, a few years later, you can revisit and find them with a handful of cronies picnicking on the edge of a wasteland, absolutely convinced the only people who ever visited were jerks and trolls.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:09 AM »
I've been a forum owner/admin since 1998, and so far I've NEVER been forced to permanently ban a single productive member. Not one.

But I've been places where "mute" and "ban" are the only tools in the admin's arsenal for dealing with anything.  Whether someone points out a mistake or disagrees with a point or has had a bit of an inappropriate rant (and who hasn't?) they just make the "problem" disappear.

Then, a few years later, you can revisit and find them with a handful of cronies picnicking on the edge of a wasteland, absolutely convinced the only people who ever visited were jerks and trolls.

Not bashing any other site, but there are a number of Etsy refugees here and one of my shops there was shut down for opening my mouth so we do understand that it happens...makes me sad really.

Offline MacrinaGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
Is there a particular thread/subforum for submitting suggestions?  (If not, may I suggest one? ;) )

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
There is one here http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.0.html, right at the top first post in board rules and suggestions. People do not always use that, but it is there. We will move posts around from time to time. But just as long as it is in a reasonable are we let it stay.

Offline MacrinaGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
There is one here http://handmadeartists.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.0.html, right at the top first post in board rules and suggestions. People do not always use that, but it is there. We will move posts around from time to time. But just as long as it is in a reasonable are we let it stay.

Thanks!  I asked because I have a suggestion of my own.  *trots over to link*

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:26:58 PM »
Figured as much LOL enjoy trotting :D

Sifistickate

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
A couple more nitpicks, if I may (or have I used them all up?  If so, I'm sorry. ):

1) Everytime I come here I have to login to the shopping site seperately.  Either it's not writing a cookie or it's deleting it when I close the page or something.

2) I'm not happy with being forced to ship outside of the USA.  In my button biz, I ship worldwide, but those items are small, mostly easy to replace, and unlikely to be broken in shipment.  Not so with handmade OOAK items.  There's no tracking or insurance available across borders without spending more than the item is worth, and (to be honest) there are some countries so rife with fraud and theft that trying to ship to them isn't worth the headaches.

Can we please change it so that we're not forced to offer shipping out of the country if we're not comfortable with that option?

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
A couple more nitpicks, if I may (or have I used them all up?  If so, I'm sorry. ):

1) Everytime I come here I have to login to the shopping site seperately.  Either it's not writing a cookie or it's deleting it when I close the page or something.

2) I'm not happy with being forced to ship outside of the USA.  In my button biz, I ship worldwide, but those items are small, mostly easy to replace, and unlikely to be broken in shipment.  Not so with handmade OOAK items.  There's no tracking or insurance available across borders without spending more than the item is worth, and (to be honest) there are some countries so rife with fraud and theft that trying to ship to them isn't worth the headaches.

Can we please change it so that we're not forced to offer shipping out of the country if we're not comfortable with that option?
Yes both of those items are on the list, to get corrected. I was hoping the shipping issue would get corrected this week. But I haven't heard from our developer, Josey is staying on top of them now. But both issues are a high priority and will be corrected.

Sifistickate

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »
Yes both of those items are on the list, to get corrected. I was hoping the shipping issue would get corrected this week. But I haven't heard from our developer, Josey is staying on top of them now. But both issues are a high priority and will be corrected.

Awesome!  Thank-you!  8)