Author Topic: Why are people getting Sales  (Read 27523 times)

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
Re: Why are people getting Sales
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:56:11 AM »
Well more advertising can't hurt, but it costs money that we do not have right now. As things have been building we have increased our advertising budget. unfortunately by removing the ads from the forum cost us about $150 a month, that we are now taking out of the vendor payments. So we are still covering the same dollar amount for advertising, but not increasing it for the last several months. We are sustaining, but not growing exponentially in revenue.
It's weird though, I'm so anxious for us to grow fast, but honestly the slow grow has worked better for us. We have made so many huge changes over the last year with the new shop, forum merge, and then some. Believe it or not the new shop is not even a year old yet. I think we ended up going live with it in May. I think?
The best thing we can do is just keep pushing any promotion anyone can do helps us all. I've been searching new avenues to promote as well, honestly I do not know how well they will do, but I do know that it is another incoming link to the site and just one more opportunity to get someone to see everyones work.  Just a reminder if you haven't grabbed our badge yet, they are all here http://handmadeartists.com/blog/grab-our-badge/
Thanks

Oh I totally get that and completely understand! I Had just mentioned since the topic had turned to advertising to get buyers in I had added options for putting it out there to get more vendors because I feel as you do that more vendors is equally important.
Keep on keepin' keepin'on - I'm in for the long run...I have faith :)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
How do you feel about Facebook ads? I did them for the store a couple of times.
You set your own budget and have a good bit of control over things like targeted market and stuff. You can do either impressions or by click. I did clicks and for as little as $2.50 a day. Of course the higher your budget, the more they get seen.
Also maybe an ad on "On Fire For Handmade" might be good since it's  handmade. ::)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
We have an ad on http://www.onfireforhandmade.com/ bottom left.
Facebook ads are a good idea, I did that twice so far with $100 of advertising credits they gave me. I just don't have the money to put into it right now. Honestly I think I would put more into google adwords first.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
Oh, I forgot about adwords.
Does anyone ever visit places like Indie Public anymore? I seem to remember it being a big deal awhile back, but for me it's kinda fizzled. A lot of those type sites have fizzled for me. But, you would get a whole new audience with them. I assume they have Project wonderful ads there. ???

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »
I'm still a member & every once in a while get an email notification that a new member has joined or posted to one of my groups.  I should really go there and start promoting again.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 06:11:19 PM »
We have a group on Indiepublic http://www.indiepublic.com/group/handmadeartistsshop
but the site is all but dead.
The alexa rank http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/indiepublic.com#
The best thing is if you haven't signed up over there yet, is to sign up create a profile and you can add links and feeds to it. So at least you have incoming links to your shop.
Anything helps.

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
I signed up over at indiepublic quite a while ago and I'm still waiting for admin approval.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:49 AM »
I signed up over at indiepublic quite a while ago and I'm still waiting for admin approval.

Dee like I said earlier, the site has been pretty dead for the last year, so I really don't know what to tell you. I do not know who owns the site to contact the administrators. Having an account there will do little more than having an incoming link, which is good, but if there is no traffic there then it is highly unlikely that you will get any hits from there.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »

Dee like I said earlier, the site has been pretty dead for the last year, so I really don't know what to tell you. I do not know who owns the site to contact the administrators. Having an account there will do little more than having an incoming link, which is good, but if there is no traffic there then it is highly unlikely that you will get any hits from there.

That's too bad. it used to be a viable site and I was there frequently. I guess people loose interst and forget about it. I suppose the same is true with Plumdrop, MadeItMyself, etc. There was a time I was on probably every site around (or at least it seemed that way). Couldn't keep up with them.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »
Looks like indiepublic gets about 100 hits a day or so. If you go to their site and click on one of their project wonderful ad boxes you see their stats on pw.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
I get views but no sales yet.  I post new listings on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Wanelo, and Kaboodle, but I don't know where all my views are coming from since Google Analytics does not pick up everything.  I also look for places to post backlinks that are free.  I found one over the weekend.  It is called CraftersBuzz.  They allow you to post classified ads and links to your website, shop, etc.  I saw where the site EtsyLush posted a general ad for their site's ceramic category.  What do you think about doing that for this site?  You are only allowed one picture.  We could do that for various categories and make them as narrow as possible to get more ads.  I posted ads for a few of my items and linked to my shop here.  I don't know how popular the site is or what kind of traffic it gets, but since it was free, I figured in was worth a try. 

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »
Do you have a link River?

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Sorry about that Andrew.  Here's a link. 

http://www.craftersbuzz.com/

Have you heard of the site?  I am curious as to how much traffic they have and how effective the ads are.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Don't know, you can always check their alexa rating, I'm not going to have time to look at this till next week. Rankings or not anything will help.