Author Topic: Huge amount of views/no sales. Does my shop stink?? lol  (Read 3917 times)

Luv2ScrapForU

Huge amount of views/no sales. Does my shop stink?? lol
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:09 PM »
I'm beginning to get a complex. ;)

Offline myeuropeantouch

• Contributor
  • Art is the most intense mode of individualism.
    • View Profile
    • https://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/Myeuropeantouch
Re: Huge amount of views/no sales. Does my shop stink?? lol
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
Nothing here.... :(

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:01 PM »
No. Nobodys shops stink! I know this has been beaten to death but: Be patient. Promote. Promote others (karma is a beautiful thing - well, the good kind is anyway) Keep creating and adding new things to your shop, nobody wants to visit and see the same exact things in there that you had last month with nothing new.

I've been nudging people from my Etsy shop/circles etc. to shop here. At the holidays I sent holiday postcard greetings that I had made at Vistaprint (got a deal on a free set) with my HAF shop link with a small discount code to ALL my past Etsy customers pointing them in this direction. I use Facebook to search for local FB groups to join and post a link to my shop and new listings.

I just keep making my books and spend A LOT of time trying to get my shop out there. I don't treat this gig I have any differently than I would if I were out there working a 9-5...'cept I work more hours now. :o

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »
Blue I love the positive attitude thanks so much for that. Your advice is perfect for no matter where you sell. The real deal here is that no matter what anyone thinks we are new. It will take time, now that the forum, shop, and blog are together that will help. Our alexa ranking dropped another 1000 points over night, and will continue to drop. So every single day things are improving around here on all fronts. So I truly believe patience is needed but also work. Trust me I know who promotes their shop and here and who doesn't, I also know who promotes others people work here and who doesn't. So, I do believe karma goes a long way. I posted on the HAFshop FB page some of the last sales, to try and encourage everyone. There is sales, that is a fact, is there thousands of sales no, no there is not. I'm doing the best I can do on my end to change that, but every single person here that puts in a few minutes a day promoting in anyway will build sales for all. The fact is I have a lot of respect for Etsy and what they have built, it is unfortunate that they allowed all the resellers. They are truly ruining Etsy.
Sites like ours though, will get there and really be a viable site for selling handmade, but it will take time. I've never told anyone to leave Etsy or Artfire, but I've suggested that we are another option. But it pains me to read these threads, it really does.
I personally take things too personally, I know this about me, trust me Kimberly knows this about me as well. So all I can suggest is to keep the faith and keep promoting, and  on top of all that hope the economy continues to improve. We have yet to schedule any craft shows this year, because to be quite honest, the economy sucks, ask me why we lost a third of our house value, the economy sucks! Sorry, right now I'm grateful for any sales at all. The wonderful thing though is that in all of this sales have steadily improved since we relaunched the new site almost a year ago. So I'll take that, steady improvement is better than no improvement.

Steps off soapbox.......
Tired of listening to myself talk.....
LOL >:(

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:56 PM »
No. Nobodys shops stink! I know this has been beaten to death but: Be patient. Promote. Promote others (karma is a beautiful thing - well, the good kind is anyway) Keep creating and adding new things to your shop, nobody wants to visit and see the same exact things in there that you had last month with nothing new.

Ditto.  Ditto, ditto, and ditto.  And also... what she said.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:16:13 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I know it takes time, but it is a real concern when your shop is not paying for itself and another month goes by with still no sales.  If you are running a business, even a part time one like I am trying to do, that is not good.  I promote wherever I can find to promote, but there may be places that I don't know about.  I do what I can with the time I have, but with a full time job that demands a lot of my time, there is not a lot of time to make new items or spend a lot of time online promoting.  Most of the time I have to choose between promoting what I have listed or making new items.  I am hoping all those views will turn into sales very soon. 

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:20:11 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  I know it takes time, but it is a real concern when your shop is not paying for itself and another month goes by with still no sales.  If you are running a business, even a part time one like I am trying to do, that is not good.  I promote wherever I can find to promote, but there may be places that I don't know about.  I do what I can with the time I have, but with a full time job that demands a lot of my time, there is not a lot of time to make new items or spend a lot of time online promoting.  Most of the time I have to choose between promoting what I have listed or making new items.  I am hoping all those views will turn into sales very soon.

RiverRock I have no solution for you. Sales are tough, and if you do not feel you are getting what you want out of your investment of 17 cents a day then you should close your shop. Not trying to rude or not positive or anything, but that is what we are really talking about 17 cents. It is a very small investment for what you get in return sales or not, exposure is big. Sorry just an opinion.
Trust me I know, I remember when we first started on Etsy forever ago, Etsy was just starting out, we would list and list, months and months would go by and we would say to ourselves that this just isn't worth it. Then we had to put it in perspective, and said, well we spent $10 or $20 or whatever. Is it worth the investment. We thought it was and continued, it wasn't until Etsy went down hill that we left.
So you can look at it many ways, is 17 cents a day worth it to you? If so stop letting it bother you and do your best, if it is not worth it for you then close your shop and move on. I honestly can not tell you how much money we have spent on advertising, and how many hours we've spent on promotion for our own work and on the shop as a whole. You either love it or you don't. I guess :-\
I also understand the time constraints, I work a full time job as well, if anyone thinks we make a living on this, we don't. Not on our own products or on the shop, practically every penny from the shop has went back into it and then some.
So once again I guess you need to ask yourself, do you love it, is it worth it? That is only for you to know in anything in life.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 10:02:23 AM »
I really really must respond to this and back Andrew and Kimberly, this is a new site and like any new business, (stepping up, pushing Andrew off the soap box) you get out of it what you invest. I had a successful antique business for several years,I heard all kind of comments when I freelancing(buying estates, and at auctions for resell) I sure wish I had lots of money, I wish I could get that much for my junk,but they were not willing to do what I did to get there, leave home at dawn, drive long distances, stand in the rain,snow,cold,heat whatever it took to bring home furniture or anything to scrub,polish,repair,hose off the bird poop,you know the really glamorous job of being an antique dealer:)
The hours of study and research I put in would make most people run,I didn't watch TV at night, I read reference books, and not just once, over and over and after a short 30 yrs
I was considered an expert in my field,and when I had things to sell I could make a call
and people would drive across the county to buy it. Then We bought a building, a run down building, put in 3 months of clean up and repair, tons of money, our 401K money, we gambled. Even though I know the business, had great mentors and wanted to jump in, I knew from watching other people who were smart and experienced lose it all when they didn't have a business plan, and you have to be willing to really work and must plan to wait. Have you written a business plan? That is the first thing I ask anyone who wants to start a business. A good plan takes time and thought,The last one I wrote for my brick and mortar store took 6 months of intense work.
For this business I scaled back to a step plan, 1st step,second step,so on. I won't bore you with my steps because yours will be different, we are unique.
I spend half my business day on self promotion, and image building,you must make people buy in to your dream.
I also spend about 2 hrs a week, I build it in to my work schedule, to update, change,improve my places, my shop appearance, update facebook pages,I tweet, write a couple of blogs, I feature other artists and crafts people, it's about giving back it should be part of it.
The handmade highlights are to the perfect place to spotlight other peoples work and be generous. And last but not least, Attitude,attitude,Attitude! You never, ever want to forget, anything you write on the internet is public. I have a
secret I will share with you, and I am not complaining,I have not made a sale since Christmas. I may look like a very successful artist, and I am, but sales are slow everywhere. I am not going to help myself by complaining, if I said it enough I might start to believe I am failing. I never give up my dream! When I feel down, I go look for someone else to build up. I don't take this personally I know my art is good, I know it will start to pick up. I am committed to making it work,what ever it takes.
As far as $5 a month, you will never find a place to sell as cheap as this with near as many perks. The economy took my last business along with my savings and I will pay for another year before I am done. I had to start from scratch,with the grace of God,I see the light at the end of the tunnel, the economy is turning around. I believe this website and forum will be a strong selling presence in the near future, so lets, go sell it to the world. Sorry if I sounded harsh, but I have heard this everywhere,how bad it is, what will happen? It will be what we make it, what we give to the world they will believe if we tell them it's great, but you must convince yourself first. I hope I didn't offend anyone,but negativity hurts us all. No place in success for negativity!

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 10:22:13 AM »
Just give it time, RiverRock.  You haven't had your shop for very long, and sometimes it takes a while before you start to sell (that's true anywhere).  When starting a business, it is not at all uncommon to not even make a profit for the first 2-3 years.  It can take as long as 6 years to establish a business of any kind, so just hang in there.  Eventually, if you keep at it and don't give up, it will pay off.  I was on Etsy for 2-3 years without any sales with three stores (one for my jewelry, one for hand-made clasps, and one for vintage jewelry; I've since decided not to bother with the other two anymore and just focus on my jewelry) before I decided to leave Etsy.  You've only had your shop here for maybe 3.5 months,  that is really not a long time at all so don't give up yet. 

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:07 AM »
Thank you for your comments Andrew and Nancy, I am considering this slow sales period a time of building my customer base (and inventory) and setting myself up for the return of a good economy. At that time it is my intent to be well known and respected in my art community, (which I see already happening)... So if $5 bucks a month is not causing you to skip meals, meds, or any of the real important things in life, I reccomend hanging in there...

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »
Nancy get off my soapbox!! >:( >:( >:(
LOL

Thanks for sharing and giving us more insight into your experience.
I do also believe that over time sales will pick up here, honestly I can see it already.
Kimberly and I always laugh at the commercials that you see on TV, about Intuit or  another one is 1and1 I believe. They are these website deals, they say just signup, publish, and get found on google!! It is actually hilarious because it couldn't be further from the truth.
Since we have merged google has indexed our site better than ever, there are more of our pages in googles index than ever. We submit automatically daily sitemaps to google that are automatically generated daily. This has been a big help in our growth. Our Alexa rankings are dropping daily, which will probably take a few months to stabilize, but everything is heading in the right direction. So there are a lot of positive things on the horizon.

As far as taking things personally, I unfortunately do, and I know it is a character defect of mine. But we have been working our butt off for 3 years building the forum, shop, and blog. We have made nothing to speak of, because everything we make we reinvest.
It is tough for us as we see people join and leave after two weeks, and it is like Really?, is 2 weeks your test period for a sale? So we right it off in our mind, that if that is their mentality, then we really don't need them here.
Anyway I'll step back off the soapbox and let someone else step on :D

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:26 AM »
Nancy, I love your attitude and business acumen.

My grandparents were antique dealers too, and my mom has a consignment shop with antiques, jewelry, pictures, knicknacks, books, games, and other eclectic stuff.  I remember going to garage sales and auctions with my grandparents at 6 a.m., doing just what you said, standing in the rain, pushing through to be the first to find the finds. 

As for my mom, she started in 1996, and she's had great months and months when she thought she'd have to close her doors.  Even now it's up & down.  It's the nature of sales.  It's the nature of anything that's not W-2 employment.  Then again, even with a W-2 job, it's easy to lose these days.

When the economy sucks, as some have said... that's the time to market.  Smart businesspeople pour MORE money into their businesses when times are tough, rather than less.

And it'll turn around.  The economy is cyclical, always has been.  We pulled out of the 1929 crash, we'll pull out of this too.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
    • T.Rusk4u
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
I was just feeling down in the dumps when I posted. I KNOW how hard you guys work to keep this place together. I KNOW with my own store how fickle sales can be. I am currently in a rough patch again (former business partner is up to no good  >:() but I am determined to stay open. So I will continue on and try to promote as much as humanly possible. And not just my shop, but other shops and the site as a whole. Thanks for the kick in the pants!