Author Topic: Huge amount of views/no sales. Does my shop stink?? lol  (Read 6663 times)

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
Re: Huge amount of views/no sales. Does my shop stink?? lol
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
i love the idea of pendants!  Your mugs and stuff are beautiful beyond belief, but your price points are definitely higher.  Maybe pendants could fill that need and gain you customers that want to shop a lower price and come back later when they are ready to spend bigger bucks.

Thank you, Kimberly.  I have tossed around the pendant idea for a little while and looked a little into various ways to make them...hand built, making a press mold once I get a style I like, or making a mold from something I already have here.  I had an idea of making a mold from parts of a bracelet my dad brought back from overseas when he was in the Navy.  It has Egyptian designs on it.  Once I research which material would be best to use for a mold, I want to try that. 

I agree that the items I currently have are higher priced, but they have to be to cover their costs.  I wanted to find something I could sell for a lower price, and the idea of ceramic jewelry came to mind.  I want to have items in multiple price ranges.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 06:35:22 AM »
Please don't think I am bashing your prices at all!  I love your work and think your prices are absolutely fair for the work that goes into them, but having a lower price point may bring in new customers for you that you didn't attract before.

Offline RiverRockArts

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Please don't think I am bashing your prices at all!  I love your work and think your prices are absolutely fair for the work that goes into them, but having a lower price point may bring in new customers for you that you didn't attract before.

Kimberly,

I didn't get that impression at all.  I agree about the lower price point...that's why I have been tossing around ideas for smaller items that I don't have to charge as much for. 

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
What about cards? Do people just not buy cards anymore? :(

I buy cards. I also am one of the last snail mailers out there, while I don't write super long letters I do like to send a short note in a card, and ALWAYS send a note when I ship a sale. I think your cards are cute...but sadly I don't do cute...NO offense, lots of people do. If you head in the no-so-sweet direction I promise to be first in line!
Hang in there, Kim!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 11:51:31 AM »

I buy cards. I also am one of the last snail mailers out there, while I don't write super long letters I do like to send a short note in a card, and ALWAYS send a note when I ship a sale. I think your cards are cute...but sadly I don't do cute...NO offense, lots of people do. If you head in the no-so-sweet direction I promise to be first in line!
Hang in there, Kim!

Funny, I still send cards!  In fact, each package I ship gets a card that I make (small little ones out of my scrap pile!).  I also am big on sending cards to friends just so their mail is not full of junk and bills all the time.  As far as buying them, I usually make them myself-never to sell-just because I enjoy the process.

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

Hang in there, Kim!

Funny, I still send cards!  In fact, each package I ship gets a card that I make (small little ones out of my scrap pile!).  I also am big on sending cards to friends just so their mail is not full of junk and bills all the time.  As far as buying them, I usually make them myself-never to sell-just because I enjoy the process.

I make all my own cards, too. Not to sale...but for personal use. I love the feel of paper and the smell of glue...I know that sounds bad...especially since I am also a digital scrapbook kit designer...but it is true!!

Offline nicilaskin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:30 PM »
All I can say is that these are really tough times. We had nearly 100 sales per day at the end of Jan. in Etsy and now we are down to 5 sales. I have friends in the real estate business and web design business that were swamped in Jan. and Feb. and now they have next to nothing. People have short attention spans, so even if you are popular and up one day, expect to crash the next.

I rolled the dice a bit in the beginning on Etsy and sold my products at a loss. Everyone complained and said don't do it, people will think you are a reseller from china. Did it any way, just to get sales. There is something psychological for buyers to see lots of sales. You might want to try making mother's day cards, tagging them for mother's day, and lowering the price. Most people tend to buy cards for special holidays like V-Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Christmas.

Think of it as running your own business. Some financial advisors say expect to have two even three years savings and don't expect to make even a dime during that period. The work week should be about 60 hours as well. It is really tiring to work so hard for so little, but that's what it takes. Selling online is just one venue, so don't forget to get out there and go to craft shows and markets. Set up your own .com as well.

I have 400 items for sale in my Artfire shop and 5 views daily through Google Analytics. Here at HA, I have only 60 and am receiving 35 views daily, so whatever Andrew and Kimberly are doing is definitely working. Hang tough and work hard for each and every sale. List more, hop on trends, price well, pin it, stumble it, heart it, tweet it, facebook it, and blog it each and every time.

Nici Laskin and RJ Laskin

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/Nicilaskin
nicilaskin.etsy.com
nicilaskin.artfire.com
niciart.com

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the boost Nici!  by the way, I have one of your picks marked for my son't birthday!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »

Hang in there, Kim!

I totally still send cards!  I love cards.  My biggest problem is that while I'd definitely prefer handmade, I have a bad habit of waiting 'til the last minute to get them & then having to go to Hallmark to do it.  And when I say last minute, I mean like on the way to a friend's birthday party and I still need the card.  If I can get myself organized, I can buy online.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:06 PM »
ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto...........................................................to just about everything everyone has said!
It does get a bit discouraging at times - and I know I'm running out of room to store things!  But I also need to get things relisted that I had off while I was gone.

My experience with etsy - I was pretty active there for about 2 years and sold about 26 items,  heck, I couldn't keep up with the constant relisting to stay off page 3000!

ArtFire - I don't know - about 24 sales and then nothing for quite a while.   I was lucky to get in there with a very low monthly cost - a little more than HAS - so I'll keep some of my things there.

I'm not sure I could do this and work a regular job too.  But, that's me.  12 + years ago, maybe.
I think part of the strategy is to have  really good time management.    I finally made use of my google calender and made up sort of a schedule for myself.  (we'll see how well it works!)
I know I get so lost in all the promoting, and honestly I can't even figure some of it out!
It's really been hard to get back into the flow of things again after being gone for 6 mo's.
I've been checking my blog stats lately - ok I don't have 100's of views, but since I've been doing the HAF blog ring and the artfire crazytrain posts on a more regular basis, I've been getting more views - from all over world  - so, I know it's working!  it's more than just the people posting comments from the blog ring.  and like Sandi said, you never know when that "one" person will find your site and keep it in mind - and hopefully it will be more than just one!   I have a lot of bookmarks for when I finally get enough $ to go buy some things!
RiverRock - I love your work,  and I have an idea for you, but I will send you a message about it!!! Hang in there, and come join our blog ring if you have a little spare time! lo

Knocked Andrew off the soap box with this one, huh! sorry it's so long

Love to scrap4you - When I was making cards, I found that when I didn't give people a choice, they sold better.  I know, you would think that being able to customize their note cards would be awesome.  But, not always! Maybe do some that are for sell just the way they are - with no options to customize along with the customizable ones.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:35:10 PM by lisianblue »
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com