Author Topic: What Camera Do I Need?  (Read 27227 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
What Camera Do I Need?
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
We've all agreed that "photo" is a 4-letter word.  Right now, my cell phone has the best camera in my house.  So I've decided to buy a 'good' camera, since I'm tired of fighting with the $50 camera I own that is now 4 years old.

I know a considerable amount about cameras that use film, but the digitals are a mystery to me.  I've read that more megapixels isn't necessarily a good thing.  And I've read that you should buy the most megapixels you can afford.

So what do I look for in a digital camera?  Or what camera do you own that you love for photographing items for the web?

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
Re: What Camera Do I Need?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 08:28:21 PM »
Andy's boss just bought a really cool Nikon that has a changeable lens and is/uses/has (?) DSLR.  He said that it was a really good buy and he enjoys it quite a bit!  I will hit Andy up for more concise information!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:46:33 PM »
Thanks, Gina!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
Just bought Kimberly a cannon rebel t2i, and she loves it. The camera has got more stuff on it than you can imagine. She just bought a book about it and is considering taking a college course. It is more camera than you need for product pics, but Kimberly will do more with it than that. I think it really depends on what you want to do, if it is just product pics you probably do not need a DSLR camera, and can get a regular point and click camera that is pretty decent. But if you do make the dive into the DSLR cameras, just realize it is a life changing experience as it will take a lot of work and effort to master the camera. That doesn't mean you can't get good pics quickly, there is just so much more you can do with it.I don't know if that makes any sense, I would say more but I'm not allowed to touch her camera LOL

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »
Just bought Kimberly a cannon rebel t2i, and she loves it. The camera has got more stuff on it than you can imagine. She just bought a book about it and is considering taking a college course. It is more camera than you need for product pics, but Kimberly will do more with it than that. I think it really depends on what you want to do, if it is just product pics you probably do not need a DSLR camera, and can get a regular point and click camera that is pretty decent. But if you do make the dive into the DSLR cameras, just realize it is a life changing experience as it will take a lot of work and effort to master the camera. That doesn't mean you can't get good pics quickly, there is just so much more you can do with it.I don't know if that makes any sense, I would say more but I'm not allowed to touch her camera LOL

Thanks, Andrew!  I am just talking product pics.  I've read so much stuff about digital cameras that I am more confused now!  Beginning to think that if I buy anything that looks like a traditional camera, I will probably be fine.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
Okay Andy is telling me now that his boss' camera is NOT DSLR but an ISL, and he did some research on an Olympus that is about $200 cheaper and does pretty much the same thing.  Sorry I don't have any more in depth info!  :)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
Thanks, Gina!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 05:44:45 PM »
Since Andrew is NOT allowed to touch my camera I will jump in.  The camera that I have is a DSLR which is much more camera than you would ever need for product pictures but I have other plans for mine.  For you I would get a digital point and click, just make sure that it gets good reviews on the macro function which is what you will use to get super clear shots of details  on products.  I used my old camera with fine results for a long time and just used the macro setting and a bit of photo editing and with so many going to DSLRs, the price of basic digital is really coming down to reasonable.

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
I agree with Kimberly, the macro is super important.  My Sony has trouble holding focus on macro.  Some allow you to focus on just one point which is helpful.  I have heard good things about Canon.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks Kim and Lisa.  This afternoon, we have been watching camera reviews on YouTube.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
I agree with Kimberly, the macro is super important.  My Sony has trouble holding focus on macro.  Some allow you to focus on just one point which is helpful.  I have heard good things about Canon.
My last camera as well as the one I have now is a Canon and I love them.  They are really user friendly.  I have a friend that has a Nikon, and they said that it is good but not as intuitive as the Canon's are.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 10:31:37 AM »
Yeah the camera I use for my pictures is a good ol' Canon digital.  The Macro function is fantastic!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all of this input.  I am blind from all the reviews I read and watched, but I did let your comments have a big impact.

I concentrated on Canons and Nikons, and ended up favoring the Nikons.  My 40-year-old 35 mm is a Nikon and it and I and all its f stops, settings and lenses are old friends.  In lots of ways, I actually miss film.

Not to get too far off point, I determined that I don't need more than a higher-end point and shoot.  But I decided that I do need some decent video capabilities as well.  I kept insisting I don't do video.  But guess what...  there's a video on my Facebook page and another on my blog.  Okay, I do a little video!

So this afternoon, I bought a new camera.  I think I'm thrilled with my new Nikon.  I've taken one picture with it, just for you.

Picture with my old digital camera....

Picture number 1 with my new camera - right out of the box -

I haven't even read the instruction manual yet!  Note the difference in the glare between the two photos.  And I just love the stitch detail in the new cameras photo!  I can't wait to get into all the bells and whistles to get even better with my new camera!  Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out!

But here's the bad news...  I'm probably going to decide that I need new photos of everything I own!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 06:31:18 AM »
LOL!  Congrats on your new toy and I'm sorry, but the first rule of getting a new camera is you will instantly want to update all your photos... :-\   Have fun!

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »
The pic with your new camera looks awesome!  Have fun redoing all your pics  :-\  ;D