Author Topic: Is a Paypal Alternative Possible?  (Read 2745 times)

BernoullisAttic

Is a Paypal Alternative Possible?
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
 As a seller with two shops on HAS, I would like to ask that you seriously consider adding another integrated checkout option other than Paypal. The current debacle Paypal has created with the Regretsy website is most disheartening and I am concerned that many people who might otherwise be shopping on Handmade Artists' will look elsewhere when they see that Paypal is the only integrated service for payment. I have had concerns in the past about Paypal, but the high-handed, arrogant attitude they are displaying so publicly has given me pause to question their business acumen and customer service priorities.

I know this isn't a quick fix issue, but please give it some thought...I am really getting sick of being herded into the Paypal corral each time I want to do business online...

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Paypal Alternative Possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
Saw the mess and have been watching it closely...and making myself sick over it. 
What other methods would you prefer if we were to add one?  As it stands right now my suggestion would be to put in your profile/description that you will offer alternatives (checks, money order, Google, etc.) and that the customer can contact you to discuss them.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 11:58:21 PM »
I don't know if Google check out works well or not.  Maybe it's one of those no news is good news things, where, since you don't hear a lot about it, there's no issues. 

The problem is that EVERYONE has a Paypal account.  Customers have been using it for years and years.  It's not the customers that get run over the coals by Paypal, so getting them to change is really hard...  why should they leave something that works from their end?

I do have a Square account, and I love it!  I am able to run a credit card without the card being present.  The fee is a tiny bit more than Paypal for doing it this way, BUT the money is actually in my bank account in one business day - not in cyberspace to be released to me at the whim of Paypal.  So the extra few cents might be well worth it to avoid Paypal.  But then we're back to getting customers to change from something they are used to that works.

It's a quandary......

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
That whole paypal thing is over donations not web payments. On the last version of the handmade artists shop we had multiple payment method opportunities and nobody used them. If some one has a good idea we'll definitely entertain it. There are other services that we could look into for our own payment services but all those come with heavy fees. We would not be able to offer the HAFshop for the same price if we had to pay additional fees, we would have to pass that along. So that is another thing to keep in consideration. 

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 08:26:47 PM »
I was just doing some Christmas shopping and one of the places I purchased from had a "Checkout with Amazon" button, the site was unrelated to Amazon, anyone know anything about it? Lots of people have Amazon accounts.

Personally, I've never had an issue with Paypal but I tend to get wary when a company gets so big and basically is the only game in town, competition is always good especially for the consumer.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »
I was selling on avenue called WinkElf and they had mulitple checkout selections too. I had set up a google checkout there, but no one ever used it. They ALWAYS used paypal. My one exception was a lady who sent me cash through the mail. It may not be a bad idea to offer at least one other option, but I wouldn't go crazy.

I haven't had a problem with paypal myself. ANd this latest thing is using it for non profit donations and fraud I believe. People will always gripe about something.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
Perhaps adding an option to pay by cash/check/money order is all we need to do.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Just so everyone knows paypal made things right with regretsy. They a 100 gift to 200 families for their error.
We had an option on the new shop for check or money order, I had our developer remove it. It gets complicated when you are talking about a multivendor site. Currently a customer can login and buy from 6 completely different vendors and each one will automatically get paid through paypal. The money never touches our account. If we were going to add this option we would have to consider the fact that a customer may choose to buy from 6 different vendors, say 3 will take check, 3 will not, it gets confusing. There are a ton of possibilities that have to be considered. On Etsy you use to only be able to buy from one vendor at a time, I honestly don't know if it is still that way or not, but once you add 6 possible vendors per transactions it gets heavy. I would suggest at a minimum if you want to accept other forms of payments to put it in your policies. I really don't care where the money changes hands as we don't collect any commissions.

Just some more fuel for thought.