Author Topic: Too much in the shop?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Too much in the shop?
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
I have been working on my descriptions in my HAFshop trying to get in keywords, clarifying , etc. My views are dropping dramatically :( and I am not sure why. I am looking for REAL, HONEST ANSWERS HERE. You will not hurt my feelings, offend me, or anything of the sort.

Is my jewelry just too much of the same old stuff?

Is there too much in the shop and I should weed some things out? I am taking out husbands pens and stuff because they are just lost. I'll list those in my facebook store front.

Prices? Too low, too high? I know we've touched on this before.

I am aware that some of my pictures aren't the best.

Comments, suggestions please! I really need some help!

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
Re: Too much in the shop?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:33:17 AM »
I really think your shop looks fine and you have neither too many nor are they too much of the same.  I would leave your husband's pens just in case somebody searchs pens.  I really think a large part of it is the economy.  At the street fair I did, nobody did as well as in the past according to my informal survey.  A woman selling next to me had people bargaining over $3 items. 
I do have one suggestion.  On my computer, the images look washed out.  I think you may need to bump the contrast.  Good luck!

Offline Blue Highways

• Global Moderator
  • Book Nerd
    • View Profile
    • My Shop and Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »
Don't feel bad, my visits have dropped by 64% and I don't even want to talk about the bounce rate  :o

I think your pieces are beautiful and prices are fair but I think the jewelry market is pretty saturated. Maybe it's time to sit down, experiment and come up with a style that really sets you apart from the rest? That is the reason I don't use leather to cover my books (lots of those out there) and try to find fabrics that are more on the unusual side. Probably easier said than done - especially from someone who doesn't make jewelry.

I wish there was a magic answer to it all. Maybe we should be brainstorming on how to drive more traffic here to the HAFshops especially for the holidays and now that there are quite a few vendors that can help?

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
I love your jewelry!  It's really beautiful!  I agree thought that maybe finding a really unique style (easier said than done!) might be the way to liven it up!  My views have also decreased and I know the economy is pretty  :-\

This picture stuck out at me because the red is so vibrant on the beads but then the metal work is really washed out but it's beautiful if you look up close at it.

Also these earrings are lovely but in this one photo it looks a little too dark, like maybe just lightning up the whole photo would make it tons better.  Plus the green would contrast so much more.

I say leave in your husband's stuff because you never know, someone just might be looking for it!  :D

Also I don't think you have too much either.  I love that you have a lot of colors and styles to choose from and they're all great!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »
My views have dropped as well, so that seems to be the case across the board, since you have responses from several different mediums/artists.  I've always admired your work and think you prices are fine.  I'd agree with everyone else, too, about the economy issue...  getting a sale these days is almost just dumb luck.  And jewelry is a crowded category.

As to your husband's pens - you just never know.  I would leave them as well...  I might even cross list them (here and on Facebook).

I know this isn't much help at all.  If "misery loves company," be assured you have LOTS of company!

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »
The views on my shop fluctuate a lot also and have been down for the last couple days. 

I don't think there's too much in your shop, of course I have almost as much in mine :D.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your comments and suggestions.
I do know that my pictures need some serious work. I'm thinking maybe I need to get some unbleached muslin for my light box. Right now I have bleached in there and it does tend to wash out color especially anything silver. AS for the green earrings, I thought I already lightened up that one. It does look dark though. Now, if I can have a few more hours each day... :-\

I am happy to know that I'm not the only one with dropping views. It was such a sudden drop and a big one at that. Jewelry is tough. Even at my physical store, I have not sold very much. ANd it's like that with all the jewelry people I have. Yesterday was a great day sales wise, but people were buying more "practical" stuff.

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:05:58 PM »
Practical is not a word in my vocabulary  ;D

Photographing is so tricky!

Offline Yanina

• View Profile
    • nafanyafelt
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
I agree with everybody! I loved going through your shop!

I am not sure about views here, dont know yet where to read the stats, but on etsy my views dropped from 4000 to 300 in a week. Sad

Please keep in mind English is my second language ;)
It is my opinion only, but I noticed that most of your earrings photographed laying on a backdrop.
Picture sells the item. You can use branches of trees and make your pictures outside , just make sure that background is plain as much as possible, sky is the best, you just need to find a right branch
I love outside pictures for a simple reason, you dont have to spend fortune on inside lighting and backdrops

Inside you can use plain white coffee cup to hang earrings from or a vase or even a flower (doesnt have to be real).
A tip: place a daylight bulb (turned on) between a cup and white backdrop (sheet of white paper is the best backdrop) 
Second tip: use Photoshop to correct background

I have changed my photography 100 times already and still looking for the ways to do it different (I dont like the light on my pictures)