Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141496 times)

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #240 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »
ooooh I love red peppers and tomatoes.  You will have great garden in the new place, lots of room to expand and experiment.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
This summer I was too lazy to really plant anything. Besides, I have a lot of tomatoes left from the last season. Frozen of course.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:13 AM »
I just don't have the energy for it anymore. I did a lot when when I was younger and I did enjoy it. Now, I'm paranoid of finding snakes since we do get the poisonous varieties around here. I do not like them at all!

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
I just don't have the energy for it anymore. I did a lot when when I was younger and I did enjoy it. Now, I'm paranoid of finding snakes since we do get the poisonous varieties around here. I do not like them at all!
I hate snakes too and most things that crawl; One of the reasons I am afraid of moving in warmer climates...

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
I'm a freak who likes snakes.   ;D  Only reason I don't own any is 'cause I wouldn't want to feed one pet to another (mice).

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
I'm a freak who likes snakes.   ;D  Only reason I don't own any is 'cause I wouldn't want to feed one pet to another (mice).

I really think that you and my daughter would get on swimmingly. She likes snakes (and other odd critters)too.  Her profile pic on FB is one she had taken with a baby alligator when she in FL. at the APA convention recently.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2012, 08:55:55 AM »
I hate snakes too and most things that crawl; One of the reasons I am afraid of moving in warmer climates...

I understand about the warmer climates, I live in FL and we do have to deal with a lot of "critters"., they get into the house and that drives me crazy, palmetto bugs, spiders, eeeewwwww.  A good can of bug spray helps to have handy.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »
I can't even look at snakes on TV. My daughter even knows to switch channels very quick when they are showing anything with snakes lol..

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
When I used to live in FL a snake got into our pantry!  During dinner my dad went to grab something and it came shooting out!  Pretty sure it was just a garter snake but still....it took awhile to get my mom or I to go in there!  :D

I also remember constantly stepping on cockroaches in Florida.  Yuck.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
OMG Gina! I would have had heart failure on the spot I'm sure. I've heard of them getting into peoples homes and stuff, but they are leaving windows open with no screen and stuff like that.

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2012, 12:15:29 PM »
When I used to live in FL a snake got into our pantry!  During dinner my dad went to grab something and it came shooting out!  Pretty sure it was just a garter snake but still....it took awhile to get my mom or I to go in there!  :D

I also remember constantly stepping on cockroaches in Florida.  Yuck.
It would have taken me a long time to get over this as well.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2012, 06:41:40 PM »
If my dad told me a snake was in our pantry, I'd be over there like a shot, trying to get a good look.  :D

But anything with more than 5 legs freaks me out!  I don't do insects or arachnids AT ALL.  I don't understand people who like or keep tarantulas.  And I gave my Savannah monitor to a friend years ago because he wouldn't eat freeze-dried food & keeping live crickets got to be too much for me.

One thing I will NOT be upset to leave in this house is the house centipedes.  We have a colony of them, and though I'm told they're good & mean the house is clean & devoid of other bugs, I don't care.  They have a zillion legs, are a creepy grey/tan/green that easily camouflages them, and they get HUGE.  And they're fast.  I despise them.  Never had 'em before we moved here, so I'll be happy NOT to have them at the new place.

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »
OMG Gina! I would have had heart failure on the spot I'm sure. I've heard of them getting into peoples homes and stuff, but they are leaving windows open with no screen and stuff like that.
I never leave my windows open, not ever, as my daughter has a phobia about open windows so that said, they get in anyway. and when you step on one, they crunch.  EWWWWWWWW.  I don't get many because I spray a lot, just have to make sure my dogs are safe. But recently my car became infested and you never knew it until dark when I could not see them but they crawl on me and I almost wrecked.  They are just looking for food and at the time we were going through a dry spell,they look for cool, moist, dark.  Got rid of them, only on occasion do I see one now but I also don't drive at night anymore.  LOL

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
If my dad told me a snake was in our pantry, I'd be over there like a shot, trying to get a good look.  :D

But anything with more than 5 legs freaks me out!  I don't do insects or arachnids AT ALL.  I don't understand people who like or keep tarantulas.  And I gave my Savannah monitor to a friend years ago because he wouldn't eat freeze-dried food & keeping live crickets got to be too much for me.

One thing I will NOT be upset to leave in this house is the house centipedes.  We have a colony of them, and though I'm told they're good & mean the house is clean & devoid of other bugs, I don't care.  They have a zillion legs, are a creepy grey/tan/green that easily camouflages them, and they get HUGE.  And they're fast.  I despise them.  Never had 'em before we moved here, so I'll be happy NOT to have them at the new place.
Ewwwww Centipedes, something else I can't stand...

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2012, 09:15:03 AM »
But recently my car became infested and you never knew it until dark when I could not see them but they crawl on me and I almost wrecked. 

Kudos for not crashing, 'cause I definitely would have.  I'd have been screaming and thrashing, and ended up headfirst into a tree.