Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141713 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Well... my wildflowers are doing great.  I now have 4 little lavender sprouts.

And the chamomile ALL FREAKIN' DIED.  I give up.  They have 3 already-growing plants/$10 on homedepot.com and I'm going to buy some.  Sigh.

FidelaTresori

« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
Probably should try to avoid buying any plants at big retailers like that.  You always run a risk of disease, and if they do have disease, these huge distributors cause it to be spread very far and wide, very quickly.

There was a bad tomato blight a couple of years ago that got some real legs because of these kinds of retailers/distributors.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »
Hm, probably a good point, but I can't seem to find it at any local nurseries.  I'd be growing it in a pot, not with other plants, so I could keep an eye on it at least.

FidelaTresori

« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Can you start inside from seed?  Might check with some of the more reputable heirloom seed catalogs, rather than the ones like Burpee.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
That's what we've been trying to do repeatedly.  Not sure what brand the seeds were.

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2012, 12:26:49 AM »
Probably should try to avoid buying any plants at big retailers like that.  You always run a risk of disease, and if they do have disease, these huge distributors cause it to be spread very far and wide, very quickly.

There was a bad tomato blight a couple of years ago that got some real legs because of these kinds of retailers/distributors.

Wow! I was not aware, to be careful when purchasing from a retailer. That is kinda scary.  :o
Although reading up on growing tomatoes a few weeks ago, starting from seeds was recommended and using a special mix (not potting soil) for germinating and indoors was also recommended.
Thanks Fidela for the info!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

FidelaTresori

« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
You're welcome, Cari.  It's wise to never buy plants from them at all.  You just never know what you're going to bring home that you didn't intend.

It's good to start plants inside in a biodegradable pot so you can plant the whole thing and not risk shocking them by transplanting.  These little newspaper pots are great, and safe as the inks are vegetable based.  Just avoid the slick ad pages.

http://www.ehow.com/video_1745_create-seed-starting.html

And they're handmade. ;0)

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 07, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »
Our garden is both better and worse than last year.  I bought African Daisies for the front of the house and they are beautiful!  Only my orange marigolds bloomed, the yellow ones look like they've been pecked off by the birds before they ever bloomed.   ::)

Andy's garden has red peppers popping up, bigger tomatoes popping and carrots.  A baby bunny ate all of our green beans!  :(  He's also been scavenging the bird seed that has been exploded onto the walkway.  He drives Ein crazy when I go to take him for a walk in the morning.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Our garden is both better and worse than last year.  I bought African Daisies for the front of the house and they are beautiful!  Only my orange marigolds bloomed, the yellow ones look like they've been pecked off by the birds before they ever bloomed.   ::)

Andy's garden has red peppers popping up, bigger tomatoes popping and carrots.  A baby bunny ate all of our green beans!  :(  He's also been scavenging the bird seed that has been exploded onto the walkway.  He drives Ein crazy when I go to take him for a walk in the morning.
GINA! Hi there!  Sorry to hear about the garden :o , darn those birds, can’t they pick on those wild flowers on the other side of town! :-\  Oh that bunny… Not the green beans! My favorite! Now that is totally uncalled for!  8)

I’m happy to see ya!  Maybe that will help ease the frustrations!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
lol Cari.  :D  Now that they've picked the beans they're starting to nibble on the carrots.  It has to be the baby bunnies because we have a fence up to keep them out but somehow something small keeps getting in!  At least the slug repellant has been working and there are no slugs like last year!  And yep, I looked and my marigolds are done.  :(  At least some of them bloomed for a bit.  I'm thinking of digging up the stuff on the side of my house (which is now weeds) and making a big fairy garden.  Our local nursery has some super cute stuff to build it with.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
So far my garden has gifted me with lots of strawberries, 7 artichokes, a handfull of peapods and three blueberries... (more ripening)...as well as lots of green onions and various herbs

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2012, 09:46:04 PM »
So far my garden has gifted me with lots of strawberries, 7 artichokes, a handfull of peapods and three blueberries... (more ripening)...as well as lots of green onions and various herbs

Matt… ;)  We (meaning EVERYONE here at HAF) will be on your front door step waiting patiently for a bag of goodies!  ^-^   

Wonderful Matt, congratulations! Sounds so very yummie!

Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
lol Cari.  :D  Now that they've picked the beans they're starting to nibble on the carrots.  It has to be the baby bunnies because we have a fence up to keep them out but somehow something small keeps getting in!  At least the slug repellant has been working and there are no slugs like last year!  And yep, I looked and my marigolds are done.  :(  At least some of them bloomed for a bit.  I'm thinking of digging up the stuff on the side of my house (which is now weeds) and making a big fairy garden.  Our local nursery has some super cute stuff to build it with.

Sweet Gina!  Sounds like you will be a busy bee (no pun… oh heck sure there was pun intended) LOL  But I have a question… What is a fairy garden? ???   I know I could look it up on google, but I want to hear your version.  ;D
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline dahlish

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »
hehe Cari :D

A fairy garden is a bunch of little fairy figures that you spread around and you can make them little houses out of melon rinds or pumpkins and if you want plant flowers around them.  My grandmother-in-law gave me a book about them with pictures showing fairy houses made from sticks and other lawn things.  I have two little fairies hiding in my marigolds actually :D

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2012, 02:08:38 PM »
hehe Cari :D

A fairy garden is a bunch of little fairy figures that you spread around and you can make them little houses out of melon rinds or pumpkins and if you want plant flowers around them.  My grandmother-in-law gave me a book about them with pictures showing fairy houses made from sticks and other lawn things.  I have two little fairies hiding in my marigolds actually :D

Ah… Gina… You feeling all right? You have fairies in your Marigolds? Really?  ???    :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding!  Sweet, I bet your kids would also enjoy the Fairy Garden.  Good Luck!  Please share pictures when you are finished!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website