Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141705 times)

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2012, 05:06:34 AM »
Yeah for the chamomile Larissa! Go Lavender Go! 8)
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Nancy Pace

« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
I opted to plant eggplant where I grew sunflowers last year, they are getting ready to bloom! I am trying a white one this year and flanking it with the Black beauty ones we love:)
The birds are taking my ripe grape tomatoes so far I have not tasted a one, I believe I will need netting.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
We are doing our usual cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and such but the plant that is doing the best is the raspberries....6 ft tall and climbing and full of buds!  We also tried grapes which I wasn't sure about when I put them in, but we have new vines so they might just make it.

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
Most of my starts/seeds have either drowned or are barely getting by with modified life jackets. 

Time to go scour the grocery store veggie start leftovers!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
I looked up the germination period for lavender & it turns out it's up to a month, so I'm not giving up hope yet.  Here's the chamomile...

This is the time when normally they'd be crushed by watering, but because the water is coming up from under through the peat pot, I expect them to grow like weeds.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2012, 05:08:03 PM »

Nancy:  Cool!  Love grape toms! Thanks Nancy for the update, keep us informed about the eggplant

Kimberly: CUKES! LOL (for some strange reason that nickname will always stick in my head, thanks to Larissa)  Good gardening Kimberly!

Kim: Sorry to hear about the drowning, at least they had a fighting chance with the "modified life jackets.” (LMAO Kim)

Larissa:  Excellent!  Sweet! Don’t give up on hope ever!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
speaking of cukes....I just harvested 3 large baskets.  1 of pickling cucumbers and 2 regular cukes.  and I don't even like cukes. hahaha  I'm just waiting for my peas, corn, potaotes and my favorite...tomatoes.
Debbi
 :-*

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #187 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:58 AM »
Sweet!  A Cukes grower! LOL  8)   Well done Debbi

I was getting ready to plant the tomatoes seeds and look what I found…  :-\   The barrels are on the side of the house (best place for all day sun), and not a place I go unless I am growing tomatoes.  :-X  I had no idea the tomatoes started without me.  Bad Gardener!  :o 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:11:26 AM by CrochetHooked »
Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #189 on: June 13, 2012, 10:28:19 AM »
Oops!

:'(  You’re so right Larissa!  8)

But I did manage to trim the Gardenia plant… looks much better!

Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
I have tomatos, broccoli, cabbages, Elephant garlic, etc.
Here is a pic of a rose in my yard... the photo is about a minute late as the flower was in the sun and the shadowde fence made  a striking photo that I missed... I will try again tomorrow if I remember and the sun is shining...

Beautiful rose! I had some lovely oes out front but the deer also loved them! They chewed the bush so much that it died. I can't plant daylilies either,they just chomp the tops off. 

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2012, 12:09:37 AM »
Cari - i'm so jealous!  That gardenia is beautifu!  I had one in a pot that did pretty good, but unfortunately lost it when my neighbor was taking care of my plants last winter. 
 Nancy oh hopefully you will get to taste those tomatoes soon! 

Ok, so I have a patio!  I decided to try some strawberries!  Do they need lots of water???  I do live in the hot SW desert.  My basil and rosemary are doing pretty good so far.  Rosemary which seems so hardy & supposedly drought tolerant  hasn't done well for me in the past -

Wishing I had a place I could actually grow some vegies!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
Cari - i'm so jealous!  That gardenia is beautifu!  I had one in a pot that did pretty good, but unfortunately lost it when my neighbor was taking care of my plants last winter. 
 Nancy oh hopefully you will get to taste those tomatoes soon! 

Ok, so I have a patio!  I decided to try some strawberries!  Do they need lots of water???  I do live in the hot SW desert.  My basil and rosemary are doing pretty good so far.  Rosemary which seems so hardy & supposedly drought tolerant  hasn't done well for me in the past -

It does get quite hot here in NC, not like the SW though.  My rosemary just explodes, and it's been going for 2 years now.  I love rosemary.  I prefer fresh herbs when I cook.  Now for patio gardening, strawberries should not go dry.  You can also get small tomaotes as a bush so you don't have to worry about staking it up.  If you can find it in a bush, it's good for patio planters...peas, peppers, chili peppers are great.  Even if you don't like chili peppers, the plant is lush and green, and the peppers colors are amazing, so it looks good too.
Wishing I had a place I could actually grow some vegies!

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
I've tried a few things, without much success!  Had a long vine of a squash a few years ago - got flowers on it, but that's all it did! I have had good luck with tomatoes, but honestly I rarely eat them!  Too acidic for my stomach. 
I was sort of hoping to be in Col by now and maybe even growing some things, but............I' not!
It does get hot in NC, but it's also humid there - something we don't have much of! 
Will keep the strawberries well watered!
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com