Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141511 times)

Nancy Pace

Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
We planted our tiny garden last night, our yard is a postage stamp size and lots of shade.
My hubby built us 2 raised beds for veggies, I have a well established herb garden I reap all year long because it is so protected.
I love herbs and Dee my favorite is Rosemary:) I have lots of flowers blooming like Peony,
red Rambler, and my spring flowers put on a nice show too.
We had a frost last week but decided to chance the tomatoes and peppers anyway. We are only planting those and onions and garlic this year. I have no room for "cukes" Larissa, I tried last year and they climbed the tree beside the garden and were hard to find in the leaves,LOL!
I am a county girl and miss my big garden and my fruit trees and berries.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
We lost a lot of cukes last year to lack of support.  This year we're getting tomato cages & fences to hold up the cukes & tomatoes.  And this time, Eric planted the beans & peas closer to the deck so we can train them right up the deck railing.  It should work a lot better.

Offline Dee38753

• Live life as if there was no tomorrow!
    • View Profile
    • Southern Country Creations
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »
I planted bush type grean beans and cukes...so I wouldn't have that problem.

Offline grannyscrafts1912

• Stitchery is dear to my heart
    • View Profile
    • hand embroidered pillowcases linens and handmade wind chimes
« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:19 AM »
good morning was going to plant corn, squash, onions, watermelon today but its raining should have done it yesterday. a day late a dollor short

Offline Colette

• View Profile
    • Colette's Boutique
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »
This time, I have planting some spices only. I don't think I'll have time for tomatoes. I currently have some oregano, rosemary, chives and basil in pots. Can't wait to use them.

Nancy Pace

« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2012, 04:30:29 PM »
Collette I grow herbs all year in my garden. I cut them a lot to cook with, I know you will enjoy yours:)
Dee, we have tried bush cukes several times and they still spread out and vine. I have used tomato cages too like Eric and Larissa are doing, works ok.
I love to play in the dirt!

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Well, I see that some of you have been very busy with your gardens already! WOW! Am I late this year or what?  I am going to Lowes to pick up soil and some Tiny Tim, or Tumbling Toms or Small Fry tomatoes. (I am chuckling at the names)

So let’s all keep the garden updates going again this year! Thanks and have a great Mother’s Day!

Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
I have tomatos, broccoli, cabbages, Elephant garlic, etc.
Here is a pic of a rose in my yard... the photo is about a minute late as the flower was in the sun and the shadowde fence made  a striking photo that I missed... I will try again tomorrow if I remember and the sun is shining...

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »
Matt what a gorgeous rose and in your yard no less. Terrific picture! And I see there may be a more impressive picture? Hoping for the sun 8) to shine for you and a reminder ‘Pic of Rose… Pic of Rose!

Update on my little Tomatoes there isn’t an update. :-[  Waiting for the weather to warm up a little. That is so like So. California, although the month of June is usually called 'June Gloom’ Mornings are usually over cast.

How is everyone else doing with their delicious gardens?
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
The beans and/or peas seem to be doing well, but I question the rest.  My wildflowers, though, are growing like they belong in Little Shop of Horrors.  Only one sort of flower so far, clusters of tiny white ones.  Can't wait to see what else comes up.

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
The beans and/or peas seem to be doing well, but I question the rest.  My wildflowers, though, are growing like they belong in Little Shop of Horrors.  Only one sort of flower so far, clusters of tiny white ones.  Can't wait to see what else comes up.

Little Shop of Horrors…  :-\  oh dear me!  Larissa, what about my friends the ‘Cuke’, will they join the beans and peas? I hope everything comes out plentiful for you and Eric.

I do have a Gardenia bush that is growing out of control… needs grooming. Right above the plant is the kitchen window and in the late evenings, I can smell the flowers sweet aroma.

Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline SoapMom

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »
We have a ton of land, but since I'm preggers and due in August, I decided a big garden wasn't going to work this year.  I started a pallet garden so I wouldn't have to weed (google "pallet garden" to see one).  Trouble is, I've been so busy, and I have a black thumb, that most of my garden has died.  I started my seeds to late, so when the heat came, my spring plants were just starting.  My timing is all off.  I don't know if it's too late now to start hot weather plants or not ... so now my pallet is full of dead things.  For now...
Beca
Soap Mom Handcrafted Soaps
www.SoapMom.com
www.Facebook.com/SoapMomSoaps

Offline CrochetHooked

• View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #178 on: June 07, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
We have a ton of land, but since I'm preggers and due in August, I decided a big garden wasn't going to work this year.  I started a pallet garden so I wouldn't have to weed (google "pallet garden" to see one).  Trouble is, I've been so busy, and I have a black thumb, that most of my garden has died.  I started my seeds to late, so when the heat came, my spring plants were just starting.  My timing is all off.  I don't know if it's too late now to start hot weather plants or not ... so now my pallet is full of dead things.  For now...

Awwwww!  SoapMom, 8)  OMy goodness what an excellent idea! SoapMom! Wow!  Very cool, I have never heard of such a thing. But it sounds to me you have something much better growing in your tummy! Congrats!  Sorry to hear about all the dead pallet garden, but great try! It will be better for you next season… and in a few years you will have help!  YEAH!

Thanks for sharing ‘Pallet Garden’ with us all! :)

Cari (CrochetHooked)

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2012, 11:55:44 PM »
My chamomile is sprouting!  I don't have any lavender yet, but I'm hopeful.