Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141526 times)

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2013, 09:53:15 AM »
Couple of six foot tall Elephant garlics from my garden...

Matt!  Watchout… Becareful… I heard they won’t eat you!  I promise! LOL  WOW! Matt… I have never seen anything like that before. I need to get out more! LOL
The garlic bulbs were almost as big as a softball

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #316 on: July 08, 2013, 02:08:58 AM »
Absolutely amazing… please do tell, what would you make that would ever call for baseball size garlic. WTG Matt!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #317 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »
A really, really LARGE batch of chili (or if you're my husband, a normal sized batch of chili with a lot of garlic)?  A really potent vampire repellent?

;)

In other news... we have our first watermelon!

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
A really, really LARGE batch of chili (or if you're my husband, a normal sized batch of chili with a lot of garlic)?  A really potent vampire repellent?

;)

In other news... we have our first watermelon!

LOL Larissa… Ah yes, good old vampires! I forgot about them!   ;D

I am a fan of garlic, but Garlic Chili…lol I don’t know about that one?  :-\

Yahoo for the baby watermelon Larissa, congrats!
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #319 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:59 PM »
LOL Cari, I just chop it up and put it in a jar to use as needed.... but I do admit to eating quite a bit of the stuff..

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #320 on: July 12, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »
Don't have pix right now, but our butternut squash, pumpkins, and tomatoes are flowering like crazy!  And I saw a couple of buds starting on the eggplants.  Yum!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 12, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Nice to see all the produce and flowers! The few potted herbs I have are doing okay. Too much rain. Matt, that garlic is awesome! I love garlic, especially roasted So yummy!.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #322 on: July 18, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Teresa, I planted hollyhock seeds out in the front yard, and they're just starting to sprout!  Every time I water them, they make me think of you.   :)

Something ate our two baby watermelons, some sort of bug, I think.   :(  Hopefully we'll get more.

The eggplant flowers have bloomed, a pale lavender that's gorgeous; I definitely need photos of those.  And the squash and pumpkin plants are taking up like half the yard, flowering insanely, and we'd better get a ton!  Good thing I like butternut squash soup!  My only lament is that if we had bees, our bees could be benefiting from all those awesome flowers.

The cukes are flowering too, and the tomatoes are flowering and growing actual fruit.

Also, the blackberry bush I thought was defunct and dying has not only new leaves, but new flowers too!  And the strawberries seem to be happy in front of our house, growing taller, flowering, and producing the teeny tiny beginnings of fruit.  Yay!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:39 AM »
Teresa, I planted hollyhock seeds out in the front yard, and they're just starting to sprout!  Every time I water them, they make me think of you.   :)

Something ate our two baby watermelons, some sort of bug, I think.   :(  Hopefully we'll get more.

The eggplant flowers have bloomed, a pale lavender that's gorgeous; I definitely need photos of those.  And the squash and pumpkin plants are taking up like half the yard, flowering insanely, and we'd better get a ton!  Good thing I like butternut squash soup!  My only lament is that if we had bees, our bees could be benefiting from all those awesome flowers.

The cukes are flowering too, and the tomatoes are flowering and growing actual fruit.

Also, the blackberry bush I thought was defunct and dying has not only new leaves, but new flowers too!  And the strawberries seem to be happy in front of our house, growing taller, flowering, and producing the teeny tiny beginnings of fruit.  Yay!

You are just a farmer at heart aren't you? :) When I was a kid we had hollyhocks in our yard. Tall and dark pink as I recall. I don't think they really had a scent, but they were pretty.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
Eric and I have been trying to figure out when we turned into a couple of hippies.

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
Gee Larissa, I thought you and Eric were already hippies!  :laugh:

Every spring I get excited about putting in a garden, then comes summer with 100 degree heat, and the weeds flourish, and I could shoot myself for putting in a garden.  >:)

But I do love to can, so next year I'm going to look into a farming co-op.  let someone else do the work.  ;)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »
Those garlics look amazing

Offline Beth

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
Gosh, your plants look great and very healthy!  My poor daughter's tomato plants are not doing well at all.  It's tough gardening in clay which is all they have down here.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #329 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
Yeah, we have really good soil.  It's foothills & forest, and we found out the original owners had a huge veggie garden in the back, not far from where we planted ours.  We realized how good it was when we were digging and found tons of earthworms.  Tons of rocks, too, but we chucked those as we found 'em.