Author Topic: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?  (Read 141696 times)

Offline Beth

• View Profile
Re: Are you growing any vegetables this summer?
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
The shower curtains didn't work, so we need to replant the corn.  A bunch went in today, though.  I'm gonna be SORE tomorrow!

When I lived in Maine and grew veggies, I would always put an old sheet on top of things to keep the frost out.  I would have to put sticks into the ground to hold the sheets over the plants, but it always worked.  I did the same in the fall to keep what summer plants I had alive a bit longer:)

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2013, 05:54:42 PM »
well, it rained off and on all week, so we didn't get to plant till yesterday..between church services....1/4 acre all in.  corn, peas, 2 kinds of tomatoes, pickling cukes, reg cukes, red leaf lettuce, buttercrunch lettuce, butternut squash, brocolli, shale, yellow squash, zuchinni, and I feel that there was something else...shew were we tired.
Debbi
I blogged about it here, with pictures.
http://www.yankeeburrowcreations.com/2013/04/the-garden-is-in.html

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:25 PM »
We planted some tomatoes....   They aren't blooming yet but they're still alive.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline CrochetHooked

• Supporter of all things Handmade
    • View Profile
    • CrochetHooked
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2013, 01:57:21 AM »
well, it rained off and on all week, so we didn't get to plant till yesterday..between church services....1/4 acre all in.  corn, peas, 2 kinds of tomatoes, pickling cukes, reg cukes, red leaf lettuce, buttercrunch lettuce, butternut squash, brocolli, shale, yellow squash, zuchinni, and I feel that there was something else...shew were we tired.
Debbi
I blogged about it here, with pictures.
http://www.yankeeburrowcreations.com/2013/04/the-garden-is-in.html

I’m sooooo jealous!  :-\
Cari (CrochetHooked)

I have a desire to create, a passion for my craft, and maybe… just maybe I will inspire another.

About Me
My Shop
Website

Offline beadthing

• Whatever you are be a good one. ~Abraham Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
Well as I have said before, I don't have a garden spot because of my idiot dogs, but due to a plant study this week with Jaeden we do have some experiments going on, we have 6 starters with Sunflowers, 3 starters with beefsteak tomatoes, 3 starters with bell pepper.  today we did two more cups with tomatoes and bellpeppers.  The sunflowers are already sprouting, a couple more days and we will have to transplant those and put them in pots at the front stoop.  We shall see, would be great if I could get a tomatoe or two and some peppers.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2013, 08:21:32 PM »
They are cukes in Tennessee too.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline YankeeBurrowCreations

• View Profile
    • Yankee Burrow
« Reply #291 on: May 03, 2013, 08:13:08 AM »
Well as I have said before, I don't have a garden spot because of my idiot dogs, but due to a plant study this week with Jaeden we do have some experiments going on, we have 6 starters with Sunflowers, 3 starters with beefsteak tomatoes, 3 starters with bell pepper.  today we did two more cups with tomatoes and bellpeppers.  The sunflowers are already sprouting, a couple more days and we will have to transplant those and put them in pots at the front stoop.  We shall see, would be great if I could get a tomatoe or two and some peppers.
try hanging them from above (topsy turvy) that will keep them out of the dogs reach.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »
The shower curtains didn't work, so we need to replant the corn.  A bunch went in today, though.  I'm gonna be SORE tomorrow!

When I lived in Maine and grew veggies, I would always put an old sheet on top of things to keep the frost out.  I would have to put sticks into the ground to hold the sheets over the plants, but it always worked.  I did the same in the fall to keep what summer plants I had alive a bit longer:)

I've done that too and it works great! Cheap too! :)
I've planted 1 grape tomato plant (it's blooming now) 1 basil, 1 rosemary, and 1 German thyme plant. They are the herbs we use the most. I have used some already and it's so good. I may go for some peppers too. Strawberries are in season here now. I saw the farmer near my house picking out in the field this morning. I know what I'm getting this weekend-a flat of berries to freeze and of course EAT!! ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:24:56 PM by trusk4u »

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 04, 2013, 12:00:16 PM »
I have tomato seedlings coming up and peppers and of course the sunflower seedlings are ready to be transplanted already.  We are going to do container gardening.  So tomorrow it is off to the store for the herbs, I am thinking thyme, basil, parsley and some oregano.  We are also going to try cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, summer squash, and who knows what else.  I got a book on container gardening for some helpful tips on keeping these going.  Amazingly enough, they recommend using really large pots and combining many of these so we shall see. Wish me luck

Offline beadthing

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 04, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »
Here you go, first installment, Jaeden's plant experiments begin.  Day 7 photos today of Sunflowers (1st photo) and the tomatoes and peppers (toothpick in tomatoes)

Offline Vintage_Gypsy

• View Profile
    • Jewelry and Supplies
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:07 PM »
I have tomatoes , swiss chard,oakleaf lettuce,dandelion,simpson lettuce,eggplant,basil,fennel,amaranth,collards,arugula, parsley,oregano,jalapeno peppers,and bloomsdale spinach, .... so far... I have 2 more boxes to work on...one I think will be all spices.. mostly basil.. I LOVE basil
“Far better to live your own path imperfectly than to live another’s perfectly.” -Bhagavad Gita
https://www.etsy.com/shop/2VintageGypsies
https://handmadeartists.com/shop/Vintage_Gypsy

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2013, 01:00:43 AM »
We have a whole bunch of stuff happening; I need to get photos.  But for now, I need my flower mavens.  We have some flowers in the backyard I can't ID.  First, there's a bunch of ground cover/ivy back there, with these little purple flowers.  But two different kinds of leaves, so either the flowers go with one of the leaves or there are two different plants happening.  Behold:

Anyone know what they are?  And are there two different flowers happening there?

Then there's this one cluster of pink flowers among the purple.  What are these?

And then... a couple trees with these pretty white flowers... dogwood?  I know pink dogwood.  Is there also white dogwood?

Offline Vintage_Gypsy

• View Profile
    • Jewelry and Supplies
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
Lovely pictures ! That's one this I miss from up north.. all the dogwoods !
“Far better to live your own path imperfectly than to live another’s perfectly.” -Bhagavad Gita
https://www.etsy.com/shop/2VintageGypsies
https://handmadeartists.com/shop/Vintage_Gypsy

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:06 AM »
So that white flowering tree is dogwood?