Author Topic: Gold Quartzite Ikebana Vase  (Read 3527 times)

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
Gold Quartzite Ikebana Vase
« on: June 07, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
I know, I know... other people are making these.  ;)  But I couldn't help myself!!!

That, and my stepmom requested I make them.

I probably just wanted a really good excuse to buy the slab of Gold thinset Quartzite with those crystals of black tourmaline.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Quartzite Ikebana Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 02:58:58 PM »
Now that is cool!  You realize that I may have to get one of those now...you are turning me into a rock lover...except for those in my gardens.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
Cool!
Stumbled, plurked, facebooked, and scheduled tweet!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
These are so cool!!
I have a girl here at my store that makes these. They are  really pretty with real flowers-very natural looking.
I bought one of hers.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »
Love it!  My mom took an Ikebana flower arranging class years ago.  Wonder if she'd remember how.to.do it.

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
oh that is sooo cool!  is the hole drilled all the way through??  Very pretty quartzite.
I love rocks - I've been collecting rocks since I was about 5 - all the ones I collected as a child went somewhere - I had one large ( approx 8" x 10" or more?)  beautiful white quartz - my mom eventually broke it up into little pieces to use in the indoor planter.  I was not amused! My grandmother had an old medicine cabinet in her basement that I stashed rocks in as a child - they were still there when she moved to a nursing home - 15 - 17 years later!
Now, the rocks I have - if I move, they come with!  And my children know better than to complain about moving my rocks!! :))

Just checked it out on Etsy - I really really like the way that's done!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:01:27 AM by lisianblue »
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline LisaE

• View Profile
    • Uniqlets, Jewelry by Lisa
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »
oh that is sooo cool!  is the hole drilled all the way through??  Very pretty quartzite.
I love rocks - I've been collecting rocks since I was about 5 - all the ones I collected as a child went somewhere - I had one large ( approx 8" x 10" or more?)  beautiful white quartz - my mom eventually broke it up into little pieces to use in the indoor planter.  I was not amused! My grandmother had an old medicine cabinet in her basement that I stashed rocks in as a child - they were still there when she moved to a nursing home - 15 - 17 years later!
Now, the rocks I have - if I move, they come with!  And my children know better than to complain about moving my rocks!! :))

Just checked it out on Etsy - I really really like the way that's done!
When I was little, I used to pick rocks with my friend, he ended up being a geologist.  I stopped playing with rocks, now I play with buttons. :)

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
As you probably found out, the hole gains access for the cast iron kenzan base.  So the whole thing sits up off the counter an inch or so. 

I should take a picture of my rock gardens.... they're not overly spectacular yet.  But they're getting there.  I'll admit it too, I decorate the inside of my house with rocks too.

:-*