Author Topic: Rotary Tumblers - Best results  (Read 3704 times)

ArmoredHearts

Rotary Tumblers - Best results
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:48:57 AM »
Please offer your best results with rotary tumblers.

Brand, store purchased, price, work performance

I'm considering  a Lortone 3a I can get one and a pound of shot for 99.99 plus shipping.

I want to use it to de burr and burnish base metals and silver rings for chainmaille.
If I get really brave maybe get into tumbling stones for wire wrapping.

Thanks!

ArmoredHearts

Re: Rotary Tumblers - Best results
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »
Hold the phone, Jatayu has the 3A and 1 lb. of shot SHIPPED for $97.14

I've heard good and bad about Lortone.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:02:21 AM »
We run our Lortone almost non-stop; especially before a show.  We have had it about 2 years and other than minor oiling is runs like a champ.  

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
Lortone has been around for a long time and their reputation is good. I know people who have those machines for years with no trouble but I reccomend you buy a larger machine than you think you will need as there is always the "more" issue ;D
 I use a vibratory tumbler on stone, They are much faster for polishing rocks(a week vs a month) but they do have their limitations, like hard to smooth out very rough stones like freshly broken up rock.
Plus they are a lot more expensive (and noisier) ???

ArmoredHearts

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
We run our Lortone almost non-stop; especially before a show.  We have had it about 2 years and other than minor oiling is runs like a champ.  

Thanks Kim. Lortone it is. I have friends setting up a coiling cutting station and we've worked out a barter for using it. I plan to coil, cut and burnish my own sterling. We'll see if I get that far.

Matt, I have a Vibratory I'm using now. What medium do you use to polish stones.
You said I should get a larger machine than I think I need, should I go with the 33B, it has 2 3 pound drums. If I am going to be cutting and coiling, perhaps the larger is needed.

Offline Dragonclaw

• View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
If you are going to do rocks also I would get at least a 6lb machine.
But I understand budget restraints :P

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 11:45:58 AM »

Thanks Kim. Lortone it is. I have friends setting up a coiling cutting station and we've worked out a barter for using it. I plan to coil, cut and burnish my own sterling. We'll see if I get that far.

Matt, I have a Vibratory I'm using now. What medium do you use to polish stones.
You said I should get a larger machine than I think I need, should I go with the 33B, it has 2 3 pound drums. If I am going to be cutting and coiling, perhaps the larger is needed.

We don't do rocks so we have no need for anything larger than a 3lb.  When you start cutting your own sterling you will get spoiled very fast. It is so nice to have an idea and be able to cut the rings right then and there.  Our jumpringer and tumbler has made it much easier to create and experiment with different sizes and weaves.

ArmoredHearts

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
Matt, what medium do you use to tumble stones in the vibratory tumbler?
I have walnut to shine metal but with stone I'm sure I'd have to have something more coarse.

I'd love to do stones in my vibratory and have rings burnishing in the rotary! ;D

Offline maillemystique

• View Profile
    • MailleMystique
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »
In case of a fire, my Lortone comes out of the house first!
deb
----------------------------------------------
http://maillemystique.etsy.com
http://maillemystique.1000markets.com

Jeanne

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »
Question - I have been reading that you shouldn't polish rocks in the same tumbler you use for jewelry.  Is that true?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
In case of a fire, my Lortone comes out of the house first!

My Lortone and my pliers!

ArmoredHearts

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 01:58:57 AM »
Question - I have been reading that you shouldn't polish rocks in the same tumbler you use for jewelry.  Is that true?
I definately wouldn't tumble rings in the same barrel as the stone. The finishing agent for stone is very fine sand like stuff as I recall. If you didn't clean the barrel you could scratch what is intended as shiney rings.

MATT! I'm still waiting to hear what you tumble in a Vibratory cleaner along with stones!

Offline Dragonclaw

• View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
I have walnut to shine metal but with stone I'm sure I'd have to have something more coarse.

I'd love to do stones in my vibratory and have rings burnishing in the rotary! ;D
Sorry I havn't looked at this thread in a while and i forgot to say what I use to polish stones. there are three or more grits of Silicon Carbide  grinding compound you start with coarse and then medium and fine then you polish ( I see I have another tutorial in my future)to give up all that I have learned about tumble polishing

ArmoredHearts

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:09:18 PM »

Sorry I havn't looked at this thread in a while and i forgot to say what I use to polish stones. there are three or more grits of Silicon Carbide  grinding compound you start with coarse and then medium and fine then you polish ( I see I have another tutorial in my future)to give up all that I have learned about tumble polishing

You use grit in your vibratory tumbler?

Offline Dragonclaw

• View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »

You use grit in your vibratory tumbler?
Yes, but use a different bowl or barrel (vibratory tumblers use a bowl or barrel depending on the style)for metal work, you can buy extra one from the manufacturer
To answer Jeannes question I have not used a tumbler for metal I had not thought of it (it's one of the tips I learned here) ;)