Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1797665 times)

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12660 on: August 29, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »
He broke his arm on a skate board. Going to the Dr today to see how it's setting and how long he should be in a cast. The pain has subsided for him now, so that's good.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12661 on: August 29, 2017, 09:39:50 AM »
Ow.

I've always been scared of skateboards... a healthy fear, I think.  :)  I've spent my life mostly uninjured... 'til I got pinned between a couple Jeeps, anyway.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12662 on: September 04, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
Happy Labor day to everyone, hope ya'll have a great day!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12663 on: September 04, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
I'll second that!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12664 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »
So I'm walking with Team Daisy Waltrip in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, taking place on October 15 (Donation link is here: http://main.acsevents.org/goto/larissasymbouras if anyone's inclined).

Meanwhile, Eric and I  also collaborated - he's turned a beautiful pink and white pen, and I've added a set of 10 of my pink floral notecards. These are being sold together, and 100% OF THE SALE ($85) IS BEING DONATED TO THE WALK.  It's listed here - http://reefbotanicals.com/item/think-pink-pen-notecard-set - if anyone's interested.

Thanks!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12665 on: September 08, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Beautiful set, Larissa!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12666 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:13 AM »
Thanks!

Offline sac875

• View Profile
    • Compassion Accents
« Reply #12667 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:50 PM »
Congrats to you guys and good luck! I'm working on vegan..aspiring..been vegetarian for 20 years for ethical reasons. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made - no regrets. It's definitely what the planet needs, what the animals need and what our health needs. I've heard many people who have went vegan say, "if only I'd done it sooner" - everyone says that -- that says something significant.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12668 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Hey, y'all!

Mostly working, trying to help raise money for Making Strides Against Breast Cancer (doing the walk in October), trying to find time to spin yarn and photograph stuff.  Face painting like crazy every weekend.  And hanging out with a local networking group I joined recently.

Today, Eric took off from work and is spending the day with our friend, James, (who's also on his BBQ team) doing a huge rib cook.  They want to try three different cook times and several different sauces; and then tonight we're having a bunch of friends over to listen to the KCBS rules and parameters, and then taste test and judge so E and James can get an idea before their next competition on 9/30-10/1.  So with friends and ribs and all that, I imagine not much else is happening tonight!

Offline TheSilkRoadie

• View Profile
    • The Silk Roadie
« Reply #12669 on: September 15, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »
Phew! and I thought my life was crazy!
But the countdown begins... Cats are boarded, first truck tomorrow, new house set-up Saturday, last of the loading and delivery Sunday and we and the furries are officially re-homed Monday.
Wheeee!!! 8)
Storm

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”  Albert Einstein

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12670 on: September 15, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
Congrats, Storm!  Lots of pix!

I tried my very first yoga class last night, and holy crap, I love it (more detail in my new FB Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/211199759411585/)!

Tonight is mostly chores stuff - I need to add paint to my face painting kit, clean everything, and make sure it's 100% in order for this weekend, because it's going to be crazy.  Three gigs Saturay (for two, Eric's joining me with balloons), and one or two (waiting to hear about the last) on Sunday.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12671 on: September 15, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Boy....  I would LOVE to move and get all settled in one weekend!  That's amazing!

I am making bright orange FurPets© today.  We've learned that all of Colorado are fanatic Broncos fans, so we're introducing this new color to tap into that market...  at least that's the plan!  Always good to have a plan!

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12672 on: September 15, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Hi, everyone! Been awhile, again. Life keeps interfering with online-life. For the last several months I've been desperately looking at all options for new work. (Sorry, this is going to be long and a little bit of a vent.)  The managing librarian at the library I work at is a nasty piece of work to put it mildly. All the staff is afraid of her and I've even had a patron tell me she won't come up to the desk if she is there. The woman is a bully. She picks one target and hammers at them until she has to move on to someone else. Lately, that target has been me. She doesn't like that my hip dysplasia means there are some things that I either can't do without risking further injury or may have to do more slowly. Last May, she broadly hinted at me to find another job saying she "didn't understand why I would apply for the position if I couldn't do those things" and "if it's really that bad that maybe it's time for a major lifestyle change." The cause of the problem? She chose not to hire a new page and instead decided to add paging duties to the list of duties for the part-time clerical staff and rearranged ours schedules to include it. This wouldn't be a problem with me except that I can't do paging work anymore, something I told her when I first interviewed for my current position. When I reminded her of this and asked about helping with few page duties I could help with (just not shelving) instead of working with me on it she decided to cut my hours even though there were other page duties I could help with. Then, just last month she was angry that I'd left a cart-load of books in the inside drop-box for the next shift. The only reason I didn't empty it was because I was barely able to even stand that day. My dysplasia was aggravated so badly I nearly called in sick. I tried to explain all this to her, that I hadn't been neglecting the drop-box but having to go more slowly and because of my physical difficulties I had been unable to check it any more than I what I had. Her response? To issue me an official verbal warning, write it up as a reprimand for her superior, and tried to trap me into declaring myself unfit for my job so she could have me dismissed. (She asked if I thought I was unfit for my position and whether it might be time for me to consider another job. I declined to answer. Her response? "Let me give you my opinion; I think it's time.") The thing is, I'm not the only person she's done this with. The lady I replaced was an elderly lady she bullied into retirement because her eye-sight was giving her trouble and she had to change some settings on the computer screen to help her see better. The managing librarian was annoyed at having to change the settings back and began pressuring the poor lady to retire. Anyways, it's been a very rough year. I used to really enjoy working there and now I have to fight off panic attacks when I go in. Still, the Lord's been good, after an e-mail to the assistant director of the library, she's backed-off for the time being so at least there's been some reprieve from all this. Hoping/praying I'm able to get out before it starts back up again.

However, all this lead to my pursuing any and all possible means of escape from my job. And, as a result, I just self-published my first novel! Now to hope and pray it does well!

Congrats on the move, Storm!

Wow, Larissa! That pen he made is beautiful!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12673 on: September 15, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
That is HORRIBLE about your job.  Good luck with your novel!!!!!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12674 on: September 15, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »
Hi, everyone! Been awhile, again. Life keeps interfering with online-life. For the last several months I've been desperately looking at all options for new work. (Sorry, this is going to be long and a little bit of a vent.)  The managing librarian at the library I work at is a nasty piece of work to put it mildly. All the staff is afraid of her and I've even had a patron tell me she won't come up to the desk if she is there. The woman is a bully. She picks one target and hammers at them until she has to move on to someone else. Lately, that target has been me. She doesn't like that my hip dysplasia means there are some things that I either can't do without risking further injury or may have to do more slowly. Last May, she broadly hinted at me to find another job saying she "didn't understand why I would apply for the position if I couldn't do those things" and "if it's really that bad that maybe it's time for a major lifestyle change." The cause of the problem? She chose not to hire a new page and instead decided to add paging duties to the list of duties for the part-time clerical staff and rearranged ours schedules to include it. This wouldn't be a problem with me except that I can't do paging work anymore, something I told her when I first interviewed for my current position. When I reminded her of this and asked about helping with few page duties I could help with (just not shelving) instead of working with me on it she decided to cut my hours even though there were other page duties I could help with. Then, just last month she was angry that I'd left a cart-load of books in the inside drop-box for the next shift. The only reason I didn't empty it was because I was barely able to even stand that day. My dysplasia was aggravated so badly I nearly called in sick. I tried to explain all this to her, that I hadn't been neglecting the drop-box but having to go more slowly and because of my physical difficulties I had been unable to check it any more than I what I had. Her response? To issue me an official verbal warning, write it up as a reprimand for her superior, and tried to trap me into declaring myself unfit for my job so she could have me dismissed. (She asked if I thought I was unfit for my position and whether it might be time for me to consider another job. I declined to answer. Her response? "Let me give you my opinion; I think it's time.") The thing is, I'm not the only person she's done this with. The lady I replaced was an elderly lady she bullied into retirement because her eye-sight was giving her trouble and she had to change some settings on the computer screen to help her see better. The managing librarian was annoyed at having to change the settings back and began pressuring the poor lady to retire. Anyways, it's been a very rough year. I used to really enjoy working there and now I have to fight off panic attacks when I go in. Still, the Lord's been good, after an e-mail to the assistant director of the library, she's backed-off for the time being so at least there's been some reprieve from all this. Hoping/praying I'm able to get out before it starts back up again.

However, all this lead to my pursuing any and all possible means of escape from my job. And, as a result, I just self-published my first novel! Now to hope and pray it does well!

Congrats on the move, Storm!

Wow, Larissa! That pen he made is beautiful!

Has this person - and library - never heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act?  I'd be contacting the EEOC and filing a complaint.

Congrats on the novel!

And thanks!