Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1797659 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12615 on: June 20, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
If I hadn't had chicken pox as a kid, I'd have considered that too. I *did* look up what smallpox looks like.  Not it. 

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12616 on: June 20, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
I just took a look at all the yarn you have in your shop. Wow, you have been busy and it looks good. You have become a good spinner quickly!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12617 on: June 22, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Thank you!  I feel like I was made to spin.  Goofy, I know, but it really does.  I love it so much.  And with the drum carder, I'm rolling right through my washed fleeces.  It looked like a slow process (drum carding) to Eric, so he's actually amazed at how much faster it is because of how much more comes out at a time.  I held up one of my hand-carded rolags next to one of my drum-carded batts to show him, and he finally got it.

I played hooky from work yesterday (Went to my allergist in the morning, who prescribed Prednisone-the-wonder-drug... he has no idea what's been causing my misery, but he knows how to kill the symptoms!  By evening, after just two pills in the morning, I realized I hadn't been scratching this rash all day!)

So instead, I inspected beehives with E, carded a bunch of batts, baked a cake for tonight's spinning/weaving guild potluck, and went to the lumber yard with E and his friend to pick out more pretty woods for his projects.

Today is work and then the potluck, so it'll be a fun day.  And I feel so much less miserable with the prednisone in me!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12618 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
Looks like you solved your licker problem too ;)

I'm trying to slow down on spinning, do some more dyeing and get started on weaving (that I've been postponing for too long) And get ready for next weekend's shows!

Keep spinning!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12619 on: June 22, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
Keep spinning!

And then in my head:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtc254NIMc

Except, "Just keep spinning, just keep spinning, spinning, spinning..."

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12620 on: June 22, 2017, 03:39:34 PM »
Do what you love!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12621 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »
LOL, right this second, that'd entail leaving the office & I've got another hour.  This day is DEAD too, boss had lasik surgery, so he's not here, phones are nearly dead, and I just want to head to my party.  Wish this was the kind of office where I could bring my knitting.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12622 on: June 23, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
Gunther died last night.  He was one of our original two guinea pigs, and this makes me happy we got the other three, so Alfred still has brothers.  We finally went to bed at 3 a.m. when we stopped crying, and I couldn't sleep 'til after 4.  At work today, exhausted.  Errands tonight - pharmacy to fill scripts, Lowe's for fleece bins, supermarket for parsley and carrots for treats for the other pigs.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12623 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
So sorry, Larissa.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12624 on: June 23, 2017, 02:40:01 PM »
Thanks.  I keep randomly crying.  Mostly in the office bathroom.  We're deciding now whether we're up for going for sushi with friends tonight.  I think they want to take our mind off it.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12625 on: June 23, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »
Larissa,   I   have  been  AFK  for a few days  so  I am  just  getting  caught up  on  the  forum.  I  have  a suggestion  about  your  topical  allergies.   I  am allergic  to  alcohol  and that  seems to be the primary ingredient in any perfume.  I make  my  own  bar  soap  and  use  ALL Free detergent and no laundry  additives.  I'd  be  happy  to dig  out  my  soap  recipe  for  you.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12626 on: June 23, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Larissa,   I   have  been  AFK  for a few days  so  I am  just  getting  caught up  on  the  forum.  I  have  a suggestion  about  your  topical  allergies.   I  am allergic  to  alcohol  and that  seems to be the primary ingredient in any perfume.  I make  my  own  bar  soap  and  use  ALL Free detergent and no laundry  additives.  I'd  be  happy  to dig  out  my  soap  recipe  for  you.

Thanks, but I have to chuckle.  This is me:  https://handmadeartists.com/shop/ReefBotanicals&secid=350

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12627 on: June 24, 2017, 03:59:01 AM »
So sorry Larissa, our furry babies are our kids aren't they :'( :-*

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12628 on: June 24, 2017, 09:43:30 AM »
They really are.

I'm so annoyed and currently icing my big toe on my left foot, which I may or may not have just broken.  Eric is spending the day helping a friend cater BBQ at a big fancy party, so I was taking the dogs out, and slipped on the post-rain slick walk in my Keds.  I wear them as slip one without laces.  When I slipped and fell, the one came off and my toe twisted.  I have no idea what it would fee like if it's broken, but it hurts like the dickens.

And I've got two gigs this afternoon - face painting and glitter tats for two hours at one party, then face painting for an hour at another in a different town.  This is going to suck.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12629 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Now I figure it's not broken.  I'm able to walk without screaming (yesterday too), and while it's pretty bruised, it's only a little swollen.  A friend made me some comfrey salve, so I'm using that.

Yesterday, we went to the local farmers market that E & I almost signed up to do for the entire summer, every Sunday (20 weeks, $850 + insurance), and were SO GLAD we didn't do it!  It was brand new last year, and this year it's even smaller, with hardly any vendors (one produce, one meat, like 2 crafters, one baker, one salad place, one pickle place, one salsa place... I dunno, it was tiny).  And I'd gotten an email a day or two before because I'm still on the mailing list that it was "the BIGGEST ONE YET!!!"  Holy crow.  If that's the case - and the weather was beautiful, but the foot traffic was DEAD - we'd have wanted to shoot ourselves had we done it.

I really like the woman who runs the market, but man, she's inexperienced and has no idea what she's doing.  I applaud her for getting it started and trying so hard, but with that teeny tiny market that she's trying to grow, she actually lost a full-summer vendor (and the $850 we'd have paid), just because she wanted to charge the $30 Paypal fees back to us (which is against Paypal TOS too) and it gave us time to second guess doing it.  We're actually really happy about it now.  It would have been a disaster.

Then we popped over to a "juried craft show" in a nearby town that I wanted to check out... it's run by an event organizer I KNOW from past experience is a shyster and a liar, but she just got into this "juried" thing, and I was hoping that maybe she'd learned better.  Wanted to check it out as a possibility for her later season shows in the fall or next year.  NOPE.  Juried, my foot.  First of all, she advertised it as 60 vendors.  We were talking to one of the FOUR woodworkers at the event, and there were a total of 34 booths (he'd counted).  FOUR woodworkers in 34 booths.  And only two were really talented.  There was stuff that looked like flea market crap.  The forger was cool, and this one tile-art booth, and one of the plethora of jewelry booths was cool.  And there was a guy there who cultivates and sells carnivorous plants, so we did end up buying a pot with various pitcher plants and some other sort of carnivorous plant.  That was pretty nifty.  But she charges $100/booth.  She's nuts.

Most of the rest of the weekend, I carded alpaca and started soaking the 3 lbs 6 oz of Shetland I bought.  Today is work, and tonight I'll be carding more alpaca and washing Shetland.  Eric's got his wood turner's meeting.