Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1860268 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12570 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:39 PM »
I would stop and look simply because your wall is so incredibly colorful!  Congrats on your new wheel!

Offline filiksia

• View Profile
    • Handmade Jewelry
« Reply #12571 on: May 30, 2017, 09:01:42 PM »

They are Ukranian eggs where you draw a design in wax using this mid-evil device then dip it in color.  Then you draw again and dip again in another color and so on.

these look awesome!!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12573 on: May 30, 2017, 09:10:47 PM »
The eggs ARE awesome!  As to the little pieces you made - they are cute!  They could be fun earrings for young ladies; they could be the ends on bookmarks.  There's probably 100 more things they could be also!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12574 on: May 31, 2017, 11:54:42 AM »
I was thinking kids' earrings too, but love the bookmark idea.

Working.  Lots of working.  Worked late yesterday and missed my spinning meeting because of it, and then we didn't even finish what we were working on that was due yesterday; they got an extension to today.  If I sound annoyed, it's because I am.

Working today.  Hopefully spinning tonight.  Eric's sick (or has crazy bad allergies that make him feel like he's sick), so I'm sucking back the elderberry syrup, keeping my fingers crossed, and am charged with taking care of all the animals.  Yay.  I was not meant to be Florence Nightingale.  I have no patience for E when he's sick.  It's mean, I know, and I try to tamp it down and be nice and helpful.

Joined a "dirty fleece done dirt cheap" group on FB, and have some unwashed raw mohair coming tomorrow that I'm really looking forward to.  Gonna try lock spinning on it!  So that's cool.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12575 on: June 03, 2017, 06:15:56 AM »
Morning everyone, could not stand looking at the Christmas Highlight anymore and made another, enjoy, have a fabulous weekend :-*

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12576 on: June 04, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
Did a bee talk yesterday, and then face painting (well, really arm painting, ALL the kids got their arms done and no faces) at an exceptionally fun superhero-themed birthday party. 

Would have been awesome, but I was getting sicker and sicker throughout the day, to the point where late last night I got someone to cover my face painting gig today.  I feel miserable, and also couldn't justify risking getting the kiddos sick.  I feel terrible about it; it's the first time in almost 14 years of being a professional first painter that this has happened.  But at least I sent them a good friend who's an excellent artist and very professional, so I trust her to do a great job.

Today I'm feeling useless, which I hate, lounging around doing nothing.  I do plan to henna my roots, because it just must be done, but that's about it.  I don't even have the energy to spin, which is annoying.

On the bright side, yesterday someone posted a Fricke drum carder in one of my fiber groups that's older (late '80s) but in good shape, and the right TPI for alpaca, and was asking $200!  That's crazy inexpensive from what I've seen in drum carders, and shipping shouldn't be terrible, about $65.  I get to stop using the hand carders exclusively!  Wheeeeee!  She's shipping it out tomorrow.  Can't wait.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12577 on: June 04, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
you'll enjoy your drum carder Larissa! A friend of mine out here is selling hers for about 250, but I never thought of you :( I think it has the wool carding cloth though. I use mine for both type of fiber.   Feel better (and don't give the bug back to E.)

Finally getting everything dried out after our last show where it rained on Sunday! Even my yarn and hats under the tent absorbed moisture from the air, so it was multi-staged for drying out of cats reach. The tents and tablecloths were much easier to do on the line.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12578 on: June 05, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
OMG, I think I'd just sit and cry if all my stuff got wet!  Sheesh, that sucks.

Speaking of which, it's going to rain here all week 'til Friday, when the sun's coming back according to the weather people.  I'm hoping their right about Friday, as that's the morning I'm leaving ridiculously early to drive up to MA for my 25 year college reunion (how the heck is it 25 years already?!), and I'd like to have my moon roof open for the drive.  :)

Today is just work (still sick, but I slogged myself in here) and tonight home.  Nothing big.  I'm mostly hoping I have the energy to spin.  And I'm looking out for the message from the drum carder seller who's going to invoice me the real amount when she gets to the USPS and knows the real shipping charges.  Yay, drum carder!  I spent part of the weekend watching videos on how to use one, since I never have.  I found this series of videos by this girl I really like, she's a total nerd and does videos with a really happy, fun nature and clear explanation of what she's doing and why.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12579 on: June 05, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
No, crying would have come in if my tags had all got ruined, but they survived and it was more damp than wet( we had set up two tents and then realized we only had sides for one (the other bag contained another tent top!) so my husband had the plastics I usually throw over my yarn to protect his canvases, and at times we had an inch of water running though the tent on the payment, most of my candle backstock boxes(cardboard) stayed dry since I had them up on shelving and I did get some of the yarn in totes and covered before the worst of it. And skeins dry better than cakes, which is one of the reasons I don't cake my yarn.

Have a nice weekend, we're trying to get the rest of our garden planted during this "week off"

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12580 on: June 07, 2017, 03:29:50 PM »
I am so excited!  The small town we moved to is somewhat of an arts/artists community.  There are no less than four art galleries on Main Street - that's a lot in a town of just under 4,000 people!  The galleries are all so different; one is fine arts; one is fine crafts; one is primarily sculpture and pottery; and the fourth is locally hand-crafted with country charm.  But it doesn't matter what day of the week it is or what time of day, there are always folks walking around and shopping on Main Street.  I am simply delighted to announce that two of my bears are now in one of those galleries!  The owner, a delightful lady named Stacy, usually does consignments.  But not on my bears - she flat-out bought them!!!  I just couldn't be more tickled.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12581 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »
Sandi, How nice! Hope she sells and orders more soon! Son and I have a few things in a gallery about 30miles away, it's consignment, but low % for her, and she sends checks at the beginning of each month that there are sales done! A very small town but it attracts tourists, and the funny thing is we never had good sales when we tried craft shows there. Her gallery is a high end selection of locally made arts and crafts. And husband had the gift shop buy some of his prints to be displayed after the show (and they usually just do consignment) so we completely understand the thrill of out-right sales to a shop!

Offline TheSilkRoadie

• View Profile
    • The Silk Roadie
« Reply #12582 on: June 08, 2017, 01:38:20 AM »
Hello, all. It has been a very long time and I have missed this and all of you. We bought a house on Monday in a smallish town NE Colorado. Art galleries, book stores, 4? live theaters, and other interesting places. Altho' half a mile from Main st. it sits on a quarter acre with a huge workshop. I can't wait to finish the move and get started on some of the new ideas.
 ;D
Storm

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”  Albert Einstein

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12583 on: June 08, 2017, 02:59:14 AM »
Good for you Silk Roadie!  Hope you will love your small Colorado town as much as we love ours!

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12584 on: June 08, 2017, 05:08:44 AM »
Congrats Storm!