Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 973875 times)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12555 on: May 18, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
Glad to throw in some useful information.  Sometimes, it is a "forest for the trees" situation.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12556 on: May 18, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
Isn't Sandi! Not only does our craft evolve over time, but it's a learning curve for the business and promotion end too. It's nice when there's a community like this where we can try to help each other.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12557 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59:01 PM »
After hand writing all the specs on the back of my cards I did go to the address labels, but they didn't have room for all the info, so now I just print the general info on the back with blanks to fill in the yardage and oz, and listing the different fibers I spin to circle and % of hand dyed and natural or commercial to fill in. and an ID NUMBER to match my inventory book!

Those milk boxes sound interesting, if the price is right you might want to pick up some extra, would be great for eggs and honey at an occasional farm market if you find the right one to do. The hang tags might work for hats or shawls when you add those to your inventory, for care labels :)

ID Numbers!!!  OMG!  Yes!  Why on earth didn't I think of that?  Man, I'm an idiot.  Skeins of yarn & the FEATHERS!  Totally makes sense!  And makes life easier.  Getting on that ASAP.

Otherwise, I don't have as much info as you likely do - I'm sticking with natural fibers, and if/when I dye, natural dyes, I think.  So it'll be easier to list.

Adding a photo of one of her milk boxes.  She's got them ranging from $10 to $60, depending on condition.  I'm looking for one in the $10-40 range.  Basically, I'd love it to look as antique as possible, but still be in viable working order - not rusty or cracked.  Don't mind dents as long as they don't interfere with the seal of the lid.  That sort of thing.  So far we're not considering bringing eggs to markets - with only 6 hens, we don't get enough for that kind of volume.  So just the one is good.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12558 on: May 18, 2017, 05:04:54 PM »
After hand writing all the specs on the back of my cards I did go to the address labels, but they didn't have room for all the info, so now I just print the general info on the back with blanks to fill in the yardage and oz, and listing the different fibers I spin to circle and % of hand dyed and natural or commercial to fill in. and an ID NUMBER to match my inventory book!

Those milk boxes sound interesting, if the price is right you might want to pick up some extra, would be great for eggs and honey at an occasional farm market if you find the right one to do. The hang tags might work for hats or shawls when you add those to your inventory, for care labels :)

ID Numbers!!!  OMG!  Yes!  Why on earth didn't I think of that?  Man, I'm an idiot.  Skeins of yarn & the FEATHERS!  Totally makes sense!  And makes life easier.  Getting on that ASAP.

Otherwise, I don't have as much info as you likely do - I'm sticking with natural fibers, and if/when I dye, natural dyes, I think.  So it'll be easier to list.

Adding a photo of one of her milk boxes.  She's got them ranging from $10 to $60, depending on condition.  I'm looking for one in the $10-40 range.  Basically, I'd love it to look as antique as possible, but still be in viable working order - not rusty or cracked.  Don't mind dents as long as they don't interfere with the seal of the lid.  That sort of thing.  So far we're not considering bringing eggs to markets - with only 6 hens, we don't get enough for that kind of volume.  So just the one is good.

natural fibers=wool, (breed if known), alpaca, llama, mohair,angora, linen, blends
id numbers let me identify if skein is one of a kind or 2 and more in a run, much easier to look up if I may have more of the same either listed on line or in a tote that I didn't have room to put it all out.

Yes those milk crates look interesting, but I can see you only needing one.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12559 on: May 19, 2017, 06:17:11 AM »
TFIG enough said  >:(

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12560 on: May 19, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »
Yeah, I guess I should have said that I'm not doing much in the way of mixing fibers.  I suppose at some point I'll have angora/alpaca mixes, and maybe some others.  But not now.

The milk box needs to be washed out, but it's out on our front porch!  It makes me happy to have it there.  We'd been talking about it for a while, so it's nice to get it done.

I'm really glad it's Friday too.  It's been an odd week.  Tonight after work, E is going to the golfing range to work on his shots - he bought some used clubs this week and is getting (back) into golf.  Apparently he was pretty into it like 20 years ago; I had no idea!  He's going with an avid golfer who's giving him pointers... and also ordered a wood handle for a vintage planer, which E turned, so he'll get that tonight too.

Meanwhile, I'm rewatching the weaving video I bought ages ago on Craftsy, and E promised to help me FINALLY get the loom warped up.  I've got the warp yarn all measured and ready, I just need help getting it on there.  I'm using acrylic yarn for this first one, as practice.  After that, I'm thinking of actually destashing a bunch of my acrylic yarns.  I have so little interest in them now that I spin nice stuff.

Anyone here interested in buying some commercial acrylic yarn?

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12561 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
 :laugh: save a little of your acrylic yarn- it's great for tying skeins with or making gifts that you know will be thrown in the washer :laugh:

The trailer and suburban are loaded, all that's left is to hook up and go to set up! With this morning's temp of 40 I'm happy we decided to drive back and forth instead of camping ;)
Have a great week-end everyone!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12562 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »
Best of luck with your show, Bev!  And Larissa...  what colors/weights of acryllic yarns?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12563 on: May 19, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Have a great show!

Sandi,

Bunch of colors; I'll get photos.  And mostly, if not all, worsted (4).  I'll keep a bit for tying skeins, but don't see the point in keeping most of it, y'know?

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12564 on: May 19, 2017, 09:35:04 PM »
Thanks Sandi and Larissa, we have a good location and for a first year show they've done a lot of advertisement, so keeping my fingers crossed. And my new rack is holding 6 large totes of roving and top! (I'll take a picture so Larissa can drool :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12565 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:58 PM »
You.  Are.  Evil.

But I hope you have tons of success anyway!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12566 on: May 22, 2017, 01:31:54 PM »
Yet again, our weekend didn't turn out *quite* as planned.  Most of it did - all of our gigs went really well, especially yesterday afternoon when we were face painting and balloon twisting at a "Taste of -" in a town near us.  What an amazing event, and the weather was perfect!

But we were also supposed to do our first bee cutout - there was allegedly a honey bee hive that had taken up residence in a hot tub in town.  We couldn't go Saturday morning as planned because of rain, so we went yesterday afternoon after the gig, only to find zero bees.  No hive, even.  We have no idea what the exterminator who told them there was a beehive was talking about.  So disappointing. 

Today is just work and then tonight spinning.  E may or may not be going to a wood turning meeting, depending on weather.  The topic isn't something he ever plans to do, so if it's still raining he'll stay home.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12567 on: May 24, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Moving is simply endless...  Once everything is packed, you would think that the light is on at the end of the tunnel... just put it away.  NOT!  The address changes, the insurance, the bank accounts....  I am just brain dead and so tired of all of it.

So today, I got the fabric out and played.  There's this image in my brain.  I figured if I could get the fish out, the rest was doable.  Nothing is sewn in the first picture.  But the fish is cut out - at least the first draft of the fish.  I think the whole thing will come together nicely!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12568 on: May 25, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
Love the fish Sandi!
Sorry about the bees Larissa, it sounds like that wasp nest I had, it was paper and I waited til spring to go spray it, when I looked it was gone completely, no wasps, no nest, nothing! Maybe a rodent feasted all winter??

Our show was lots of fun. I took a flax wheel and demonstrated on that, it drew a lot of interest and Cliff sold a lot of wheel hooks. And I made enough to invest in a new (to me) wool wheel. Sheldon approves of it as you can see in the picture and it spins nicely although the bobbins are a little smaller than my louet! And just a teaser for Larissa is a picture of my dyeing!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12569 on: May 25, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
One last picture of my "wall of colors" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And my new wheel is a Schacht Spindle. Although it came with a brake on the bobbin, it can also be used as a double drive which is my favorite kind of wheel for easy tension adjustment! Si it is now a double drive and will make it's debut at this week's show.