Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1610190 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12120 on: September 09, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »
OMG, John, I don't even believe in miracles, but there's no other word for that!  It was obviously meant to be - your granddaughter, and her saving of her mom's life.

Sandi, I'm sorry for your loss and for your dad's suffering.  Is your mom still around?  Is she ok?

Today is just mundane stuff - work, laundry, prep kit for face painting all weekend, honey extraction.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12121 on: September 09, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
OMG, John, I don't even believe in miracles, but there's no other word for that!  It was obviously meant to be - your granddaughter, and her saving of her mom's life.

Sandi, I'm sorry for your loss and for your dad's suffering.  Is your mom still around?  Is she ok?

Today is just mundane stuff - work, laundry, prep kit for face painting all weekend, honey extraction.

I am officially now an orphan.  My Mom died in 2004.  Thanks for the condolence, Larissa.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: September 09, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
John that is wonderful news. so glad for you and your family that it was found in time to fix.

Sandi, sorry for your loss, I've been an orphan now for two years after the loss of my step-dad, my mom passed in 2005 and I still miss the many conversations I've had with each of them. I'm glad you have siblings to share your  loss. As an only child I found my cousin to be a great support. Safe traveling.

I've been busy today dyeing yarn and fiber so it could dry on the line (our first clear day that has been cool enough in the house to heat it with processing) We have a fiber show coming up at the end of the month and some of my stock has dwindled over the summer.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12123 on: September 10, 2016, 06:12:19 AM »
Update on daughter:
-- Oncologist told her that the baby saved her life.  By being pregnant and having the problems she had, they looked at causes and that is how they found the cancer in time to treat before fatal event.  She was stage 2 uterine and stage 1 cervical cancer.  With her hysterectomy, all the cancer was removed and there is no sign of further sites.  If she had not been pregnant, she would have been discovered as most women are in stage 4, with multiple metastatic sites.   At that point, treatment is pallative only with death coming.  This was a double miracle, as Jessica had only a left ovary producing eggs, no left fallopian tube (prior ectopic pregnancy); so the egg was produced in the left ovary, traveled across the abdomen to  the right fallopian tube at just the right time to be fertilized and implanted in the uterus.  Meadow is now almost six months old; her mother is healing well; and will be seeing her oncologist regularly to be followed closely. 

Debbie and I are very relieved and happy at these developments.  It was hard enough when my younger brother died, I don't know how we would handle losing a child.  Hope all here are enjoying the end of the summer, still in the mid to  high 90s here in the afternoon. 

John

JOHN !!!!! what a blessing, so happy for your family. Be good to yourselfes, all of you :-*  Monika

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12124 on: September 10, 2016, 06:14:37 AM »
That is EXCELLENT news John!  Thank you so much for letting us know.

I have been scattered lately.  We're off to California today and will be back early next week...  my dad died.  It's actually a good thing, as he has been wasting away for the last 16 months or so; he is finally free.  But knowing it's coming doesn't change the end result.  Will be good to see all my brothers and sisters.

Sandi, I am deeply sorry for your loss, he is in a better place. I know it is hard and I am not trivializing this event, I will say a prayer for you and your family :-*

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12125 on: September 10, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »
nothing much going on here, well, about 8 friends coming over this afternoon to crochet and knit. We have been making hats for local cancer centers for the woman who lost their hair after treatment. Volunteer work and so rewarding, we have been doing this since 2014, so I better vacuum and dust....

Tomorrow going to the Dinner Theater seeing Sister Act on Stage with a bunch of friends, about 14 of them, will be fitting into my form fitting lil black dress for the first time in 20 years....yeahhhh...dropped additional 4 lbs....
so excited about my progress.....
Have a great weekend y'all ;)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: September 12, 2016, 01:06:02 PM »
Monika, congrats on the weight loss and glad you are feeling up to being active with your friends :laugh:

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12127 on: September 12, 2016, 03:46:01 PM »
Thanks Bev, we had a ball, dinner/Lunch was awesome food, I picked what I thought I should eat and the Show was awesome, actually.... :)

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12128 on: September 14, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
Well, summer break is over for me now.  Started my third GIA distance learning class on Monday.  So far, I've finished both of the diamond e-classes (only have the lab to go, and I'll be certified for working with diamonds), and have now started on Colored Stones Essentials.  Already on assignment 4 of 8!  Looks like I'll be starting and finishing the class in the same week!  Then onto the larger class: Colored Stones.  Hoping/planning to take the labs for both diamonds and coloured stones next year.  That would leave me with just two more classes to go (one e-class and one lab in gemstone identification) and I'll have my Graduate Gemologist Diploma  :D. Woohoo!!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: September 14, 2016, 02:22:13 PM »
That  is so exciting!!!!!     Congratulations!
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12130 on: September 16, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
Well, summer break is over for me now.  Started my third GIA distance learning class on Monday.  So far, I've finished both of the diamond e-classes (only have the lab to go, and I'll be certified for working with diamonds), and have now started on Colored Stones Essentials.  Already on assignment 4 of 8!  Looks like I'll be starting and finishing the class in the same week!  Then onto the larger class: Colored Stones.  Hoping/planning to take the labs for both diamonds and coloured stones next year.  That would leave me with just two more classes to go (one e-class and one lab in gemstone identification) and I'll have my Graduate Gemologist Diploma  :D. Woohoo!!

How exciting, then you and John can talk shop.....LOL....Congrats :-*

Offline Nárrína

• Handmaden Designs LLC
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Handmaden Designs LLC
« Reply #12131 on: September 16, 2016, 05:17:38 PM »

How exciting, then you and John can talk shop.....LOL....Congrats :-*

Thank you! I was right about finishing it the same week I started the class.  Finished it this morning!  :D Three down, five more to go!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:38 AM »
Popped back in to see what was up and it appears I've missed a good bit.  :-[

I've started promoting 1 item per day from my shop to see if I can get something going. I will try to do this for the remainder of the year. After that I will likely close up. I still love making stuff, but I feel like the stress of trying to sell online is taking all the fun out of it. It's so much easier in person. Still exploring what to do on that front. So far I've not seen much that my jewelry would fit in to. It's either not "country" enough, or not fine enough. I've even thought about opening a store again. :-\

It's good to see everyone. I will make an effort to stop by more often.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12133 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:54 PM »
Hey, all, sorry I've been incommunicado so long, but we've been swamped with getting the honey extracted and bottled (it's mostly done, still a bit to do), stuff labeled, cutting boards done (I was even helping E with the sanding after he showed me how to use the belt sander), and basically exhausting ourselves every way we could possibly think of.  Most of it was in preparation for this past weekend:

Thursday after work, I painted faces at a hunger fundraiser event.

Friday, E took off from work to do a bunch of running around and shopping, because Friday to Sunday was the Red, Wuite, and Que BBQ competition he'd entered.  After work, I ran for a basket and honey labels and then went to visit him and his brother at their competition booth, then he came home with me and we stayed up 'til 3 a.m. getting honey bottled, cutting boards sanded, cutting board wax made, and stuff labeled with prices, etc.

Saturday, we got bees into the observation hive, then I went to paint faces about 40 minutes away from 10-12 at a heart disease charity walk, while E went to our town festival and set up our booth by himself.  At 12, I raced directly from the walk to the festival to help him man the booth.  After talking bees with people until 6 p.m., I'm still hoarse today.  Lots of interest, lots of fun, but financially we didn't do nearly as well as we hoped or thought we would.  Not one of his cutting boards sold, and we didn't even sell a ton of honey, which is just plain weird.

Then once we packed up & unloaded at home, he raced back to the competition to start the cook.  I didn't really want to go, but he was so excited to have me hang out, and then it turned out he forgot his shirt and a chair and they were dying for coffee and needed more bags of ice... and it was only half an hour away, so I sucked it up and went over there.  I was so exhausted, I was near tears - I've been stressed out about this past weekend for months, not sleeping well, and trying to get everything done.  I ate dinner with them (note:  crab legs done on a charcoal grill are excellent), and then took his brother back to our house with me because E had insisted he wouldn't need his car (which he left in our driveway), but he REALLY wanted it, especially after being stranded there for over 24 hours by himself while E came home with me to deal with the festival.  I got home and could barely move, sucked it up and took care of all the animals by myself, then went to bed early.

Because Sunday morning, I had to get up at 4:30 a.m. (!!!) and take care of all the animals by myself again before heading out at 6:13 a.m. to drive down to Long Branch (1.25 - 1.5 hours) to face paint for 3 hours at a charity run to benefit leukemia and other blood disorder patients.  From there, I went directly to face paint at a first birthday back near my house from 1-2:30.  After that, although all I wanted to do was sleep, I was going to get changed and then head back to the competition for the awards ceremony.  I called E on my way home, and he told me that they were actually packing up early because he was really sick - dehydrated, exhausted, nauseous, and who knows what else.  So when he got home, I unloaded the truck for him so he could go straight to bed, then let him sleep for several hours, at which point he took a shower & then went back to bed.  I was running to bring him liquids, and again took care of the animals myself.  I actually fell asleep on the couch all cramped, and finally went to bed.

Full day of work today, and then I'm FINALLY going to put together a gift basket order that is WAY overdue, and I apologize profusely to the customer.  I should have honestly shut down my shops to vacation mode while this was all going on; that would have been the responsible thing.

On the plus side, with all the gigs I've been working, people have been taking my cards like candy, to the point where I had to order more today.

And then I suppose we'll veg and watch some of the DVRed shows we've missed while doing anything and everything BUT relaxing over the past week.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: September 29, 2016, 05:41:33 AM »
You are sooo busy Larissa, don't know how you do it. Raining here and at work, putting my head down and trying to tackle the next task. Seems like that is all I do lately, head down next task. Anyway hope all is well with everyone.