Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1697547 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11775 on: January 11, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »
We're definitely intending to sell the mushrooms; it can apparently be a fairly lucrative endeavor.  Right now we're working on getting blue oyster, pink oyster, shiitake, and lion's mane going, and then we're going to trade a spawn jar of the shiitake for a spawn jar of king oysters with a guy in California.

The plan for online sales is to actually make mini growing kits (they'll be going up in Reef Botanicals) once we get them set.  The buyer will put the little box on a windowsill, cut open the plastic bag inside, mist them once or twice a day, and get a few fruitings of whatever variety of mushroom it is, right there in the kitchen!  We've been researching boxes while waiting to get to the point with the actual mushrooms to be able to do it.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11776 on: January 11, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »
Wow, that sounds like so much fun! (and a lot of work for you) Here I thought you might be going to supply local gourmet restaurants or put some in E's sauces :laugh:

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11777 on: January 11, 2016, 04:42:19 PM »
Oh, the mushrooms themselves we'll be selling locally, for sure.  Individuals, restaurants, whoever will take them!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11778 on: January 12, 2016, 02:57:28 PM »
Haven't been around too much lately. Sad to see Monika close up shop here but I get it. I have some parts made for a necklace on my work table, but just am not feeling it yet. My creativity seems to be at a stand still. May be time to hang up the jewelry thing.

Still battling this darn cold, but it finally seems to be getting better. Of course it doesn't help when you have to go out and shovel snow, walk the dogs, etc. But since Terry is in NC working on the old place, it's me and the girls. The snow has stopped for now and the temps are dropping. Already feels like below zero outside and the wind gusts don't help.

Stay warm and dry everyone. And I hope that Kimberly, Andrew, and company are feeling better!! 

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11779 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
I don't know where you are  but E  Tn    has turned really cold (for here).....    In the teens overnight.
Oh  how I hate cold weather!

www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11780 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Cold here too; Saturday we had 60, and today the high is 27.  I'm displeased.

Our pink oyster mushrooms are growing like the dickens.  They either love our setup, or the cracked corn substrate, or maybe both, but holy crow!  The photo doesn't even do them justice, they're insane and they're PINK.

Today is work, and tonight I'm home, finally.  So stuff around the house.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11781 on: January 13, 2016, 10:51:54 AM »
Eric got a better photo than I did.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11782 on: January 14, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
I can honestly say I have never seen pink mushrooms before. Very cool!

Same old stuff today. I will get out for a bit since I have to pick up some meds for Lady at the vets. I'm hoping to that some paperwork from NCDMV comes today so I can finally get my car properly licensed. NC has a crazy long waiting period for certain things and with the holidays thrown in the mix it is worse than normal. My temporary plate is going to expire soon and it makes me a bit nervous to drive.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11783 on: January 14, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »
Well, I know what I won't be doing today... I won't be quitting my job, since we didn't win Powerball.  Obviously, I didn't think we would, but it's a nice dream.

So what I will be doing is going to work and transferring more mushrooms.  The pink oysters are going absolutely insane, and now the lions mane are fruiting too.  We've got a bunch more to transfer into spawn bags and fruiting bags.  We did a bunch last night, but Eric will sterilize more today for use tonight.

And laundry.

And when I can resize them smaller. I'll post mushroom photos.  They're too big on my phone.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11784 on: January 14, 2016, 11:07:06 AM »
Aha, here we go!  Pink oyster on top, lions mane on bottom.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11785 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »
Good morning! 

It was so exciting... Last night we harvested a small lion's mane mushroom to try, since Eric had read they taste like lobster.  We were obviously skeptical, but he sauteed it up with a little butter & a dash of salt & pepper... and IT TASTES LIKE FREAKIN' LOBSTER!!!  It's the craziest thing.  The worst part was that we wanted to eat all the lion's mane we have and it's not really ready yet.  Blogged it here:  http://reefbotanicals.blogspot.com/2016/01/vegetarian-lobster.html

Today I'm working, and tonight is the monthly bee meeting - our speaker is a master beekeeper from Virginia who's going to talk about sustainable beekeeping.

And then we need to transfer more grain spawn (mushrooms) into spawn bags and fruiting bags.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11786 on: January 15, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
Larissa, was reading this blog and about half way down thought of you...have you seen knitted chicken sweaters yet?
blog

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11787 on: January 15, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
Larissa, was reading this blog and about half way down thought of you...have you seen knitted chicken sweaters yet?
blog

LOL, I've seen it.  It's adorable for photo shoots, but generally a really bad idea for chicken health.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11788 on: January 15, 2016, 04:14:01 PM »
Yeah, I agree! And wonder what next?

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11789 on: January 15, 2016, 04:25:30 PM »
Yeah, I agree! And wonder what next?

Fish sweaters?  It's the natural progression, no?