Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1696926 times)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11700 on: December 11, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Yaye for finishing your scarf Larissa, looking forward to seeing a picture. Mine is finished except for weaving in ends and blocking it. (With my yarn being a little heavier (I think) than what the pattern called for, I know it's a little longer even without measuring it. Plus I didn't exactly follow the pattern since it wasn't making sense to me (the part about picking up the stitch from the row below- it seemed to throw the colors off) I know there's a couple of other mistakes too, so it won't be for sale! But while the main pattern is fresh in my mind, I'm attempting to write a pattern for a hat, using the same cable carry, but with just carrying the one color....I'm on the decreases so will soon know if it fits :laugh:

Hope everyone is taking time out to enjoy all their holiday festivities. When I went to my last show, we stayed at daughter's, so I took ingredients to make peanut butter and french silk pies, made enough for all the grandsons and "hid" them in her freezer until Christmas! Now all I have to do is some wrapping of other gifts and find a place for the tree ;) And no this weather is way warm to be getting so close to Christmas!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11701 on: December 12, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
Good morning!

I'm glad it's not just me who found the pattern a little strange.  I did the pickup thing, but am not sure why it was necessary.  Maybe as a way to cheat-prevent laddering?  That was all I could really figure.

I did have it screwy with the first row of carry overs.  You can probably see it in the photos, I need to download them off my camera.

We've bought over 30 lbs of candy, and today we're having 3 other couples over to build and decorate gingerbread houses... After Eric and I bake the gingerbread and make royal icing.

Should be fun!

And we have 2 green eggs today - Adele started laying too!

Also, I was happy last night to get my office holiday shopping done.  My secret Santa recipient likes to cook, so I got some fun little things at Chef Central and made a really pretty gift basket up.  And for two friends in the office with whom I trade small gifts, I got one a storm trooper mug and the other a Darth Vader mug.  They're both nerds like me and huge Star Wars fans.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11702 on: December 14, 2015, 11:31:36 AM »
I could have sworn I emailed myself the photo of the scarf so I'd have it at work, but I guess not.  I'll have to post it later.

Anyway, I *do* have photos of the gingerbread houses Eric and I did.  Note the chickens in both (and jelly bean eggs in mine) and the beehives and pond in E's.  :)  We had so much fun!  We have a TON of candy left over, even with six houses being made.  It's crazy.  One friend designed a replica of the Ghostbusters firehouse, and another couple did a replica of the house they're currently trying to buy.  I supplied the graph paper and pencils.  :)

The last set of friends left around 3 a.m., and Eric and I cleaned up a bit, going to bed around 4.  Yikes!  We really did have a blast, though.  We're thinking of doing monthly theme gatherings, but not always quite so elaborate as Friendsgiving and gingerbread house making.  In January, we're talking about a hot beverage game night - coffee, chocolate, toddies, and board games with snacks.

Today is work, and then I just need to return the "The Wild One" DVD to the library.  I'd never seen it before and love Brando, but I have to admit it wasn't much in the way of plot.

Tonight, Eric and I are going to use the leftover gingerbread to make cookies.  We'll bring them to Friday's beekeeping holiday party, rather than me baking another pie.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11703 on: December 14, 2015, 11:59:54 AM »
Love ginger bread 8)

Anyway, I know I haven't posted much lately, I do see everything though.
We are just trying to make it to Christmas, very busy as always. I'm off the week in between Christmas and New Years, so we will be in GA to visit Kimberly's brother and his family as well as some friends. Looking toward a well needed break!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11704 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Love ginger bread 8)

Anyway, I know I haven't posted much lately, I do see everything though.
We are just trying to make it to Christmas, very busy as always. I'm off the week in between Christmas and New Years, so we will be in GA to visit Kimberly's brother and his family as well as some friends. Looking toward a well needed break!

Hey's what's the new address?  I don't have one for you since you moved out of NJ!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11705 on: December 14, 2015, 04:36:09 PM »
Rainy and still mild though the temps are going to drop this week. Still above normal though and is supposed to stay that way through Christmas.

Cleaned house, laundry, rearranged a couple of closets so they make more sense and we make better use of the space.
We've started getting some furniture to use for staging our NC house. Got a great deal on a set of chairs (6 total) for $60. They are a modern style with upholstered seats and backs. They are a plain dark blue color and none of the fabric is damaged. They look like they were used in a doctor's office or something. Nice thing is we will be able to use them in this house when we are done down there. Got them at the Salvation Army store. They seem to get quite a bit of stuff, so I think I will be checking there weekly to see what they have.

Lady had her test done again for her Cushing's Disease. It all came back good though she has moved from Cushing's to Addison's Disease. It's kind of a normal transition and easier to manage. She needs to lose a few pounds, so we cut back on the food and treats. She still has great energy and attention for an old girl. Farrah is doing great too. She's her normal self and just goofy sometimes. She is shedding like crazy though. I have blond tufts of hair all over. I really need to get them to a groomer.

Had an awesome time at my friends house Saturday. It was so nice to connect in person again. It's been 40 years! She lives quite close. We are planning on going to our high school reunion together this coming summer. Hubby is happy because then he doesn't have to go. :)

I'm planning on doing some baking towards the end of the week. I'll make a batch of Kolaches for Terry since they are his favorite. I am also going to attempt to make Niisuu. It's a Finnish sweetbread with cardamom flavoring. My Mom made it fairly often and I love it. That will be all. I don't want to much around because then I will be eating it. I really wish I didn't have a sweet tooth!

I'm looking forward to a long visit from my son Greg, his wife Christine and of course Zoey. They both have the weekend after Christmas off which never happens, so they are coming down for a couple days. I am beside myself excited!!
I'm hoping that my daughter and her fiance can come too. Not sure what kind of schedule they have and she's keeping vacation days for their honeymoon.

Have a good evening everyone.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11706 on: December 15, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
So glad you get to see your son, T!

Made the cookies last night.  Today is just work and home.  Maybe decorate the cookies.  Friend might stop by to pick up a bunch of the leftover candy from the gingerbread houses, since there's no way we're eating it all and I don't want it to just get stale, so I offered it.

I'm so annoyed at myself.  Eric worked from home yesterday, so he baked bread (we WAY overbought flour for the gingerbread) and marinated some steak, made caremelized onions and gravy, and we had steak sandwiches for dinner.  There was a ton of leftovers, so I fridged them to bring for lunch today.  This morning I took the container out of the fridge and put it on the counter so I'd remember it... and forgot it.  I'm in the office 40 minutes away, and it's sitting on the kitchen counter in my house.  SO ANNOYED.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11707 on: December 16, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
We  found some  office waiting room  chairs  (6)  at Salvation Army  and used them  for several years.  We actually  moved  them several times  because we liked them so much.  They were perfect for  a  breakfast nook in our   kitchen.   
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11708 on: December 16, 2015, 01:15:46 PM »
Halloo!

T, also check the ReStore if you've got one nearby!

Had an appointment this morning with my accountant, which ran late, so I'll be staying a bit late at work to make up for it, then probably decorating the gingerbread cookies for Friday.  So weird that gingerbread stays ok rather than getting icky and stale, at least according to Eric.

Also working on something new for Fabric of my Mind, so we'll see what I get done on that tonight.  :)

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11709 on: December 16, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »
We had  ReStore   in  Houston....   I loved it.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11710 on: December 16, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
Finally broke down and went to the doctor, who confirmed my diagnosis...  sinusitis/bronchitis.  I even know who I got it from.  What I think is so irritating is that when you KNOW you are sick, why on earth do you go around hugging people?  Just so you can have company while you're sick?  One of these days, I am going to send the bill for my medical care to the person who got me sick in the first place!  Stepping off my soap box now....

Everyone is so busy with the holidays.  Ours are quiet since our kids/grandkids are scattered all over the country.  BUT, Richard and his little family will be here three days next week.  We are so looking forward to seeing him, Brittany and the two tiny girls!

Stay healthy everyone!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11711 on: December 16, 2015, 03:55:25 PM »
It is actually true, E is right Gingerbread stays and last long and well.....

Sandi, I am with you, I consider it totally inconsiderate, and I am thinking of the Choirs I am in, coming to the practices, concerts and spreading the goods. I dislike being sick and stay home when I am sick. So I get you....

10 Concerts under the belt, 10 more to go and then we are done with this Season's Retirement and Nursing Home Concerts, aside from the other singing I am doing.

I am so glad to know that I am really doing well with my heart, even though I found out he actually did 4 ablation and quit at number 5.....LOL  .....

Now I am back at Mayo for them to figure out the ear/throat/ brain/voice thingy....the heart came first.

Will open my house to other single and possible lonely people for Christmas, have a friend who will help me with that.
Should be very fun.

Sales, have been the pits, I don't know about anyone else's, but the black Friday thing and such was way overrated, nothing happened and I dont expect anything to happen. People are just hanging on to their money. Feds will raise Interest Rates, so the economy will be hard hit, it's bleak. It's OK....it will be better in the future, some day (smile)

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, be blessed....

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11712 on: December 16, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »
By all means,  stay on those soap boxes!  Fortunately for me I have a very strong  constitution  but  I watched  as my coworkers went about making one another sick. 
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11713 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
I'm with you guys; I get so annoyed by people who don't care if they make others sick.  I've had parents try to force me to face paint their kids while the kid's coughing and sneezing on me.  Um... NO.

I specifically, when I'm sick and MUST be in the office, warn people so they don't touch my phone or keyboard, and I don't stand near them, go in their offices with them, or touch their stuff.

Anyway, worked late last night, ran a couple errands with Eric, and came home really tired.  Got some of my new thing for FOM done, but not the cookies.

Today I'm at work, and I might have to drive out to Brooklyn to file some documents that are due today; it depends if the associate here comes in or not.  Usually he does it.  I wouldn't mind so much, but I'm exhausted.  I'm kind of compulsive, so I was up 'til 2 working on the FOM thing.  At least the office reimburses for travel, which is good with the toll for the George Washington Bridge up to $15 now.

Tonight, cookie decorating for sure, since the party's tomorrow.  I'm really glad the gingerbread stays good for a while.  It's a nice characteristic for a baked good to have when most get stale or moldy.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11714 on: December 17, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »
Larrissa  ....   all who know me are aware of my mean streak.....    You could tell people that  you have a really vile STD  which can be transmitted  by sneezing  or touching things you have touched.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com