Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1696986 times)

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11685 on: December 06, 2015, 09:15:25 PM »
Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate. I'm not that familiar with the celebration, but boy does that food look good!

Just finished last show of the year, wasn't that good, but did break even, and was interviewed by a gentleman who we'd met years ago. He was filming for a show he does on RFD tv, so have no way of knowing if we make the cut (we don't have cable to watch), but it's nice to think we may have gotten free advertisement!

trusk4u, your pictures look beautiful, and sounds like you are really working hard to get the inside the way you want it too. Hope you take a break and enjoy the holidays.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11686 on: December 07, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »
Happy Chanukah!  Done with our last show for the year, too.  Sales were okay, but the bad news is that I caught a cold.  Going back to bed now................

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11687 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:35 PM »
Our house had filthy disgusting   carpet when we bought it   and since he was facing a lot of nasty work Joe just jerked them  out and uncovered  1950s  hardwoods.   He refinished  them  and now we have lovely  shiny hardwoods. When this house was built they  put in hardwood  boards  3/4 in  thick.  This  house is very similar in floor plan  to our first house which  we bought in 1955.  Joe has a  pretty serious dust mite allergy  so we have leather  furniture  and no throw rugs  or carpet of any sort....   just shiny floors.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11688 on: December 08, 2015, 10:58:10 AM »
We will be removing this carpeting too just not yet. Being an 80's era house, I don't think that we would be lucky enough to have hardwood underneath the carpet. WE are planning on either engineered hardwood or laminate since those are the most durable. If we end up keeping carpet in the bedrooms, we will get a much better grade than what is here.

Bev, I am taking a break with the house stuff to enjoy the holidays. I got our tree up yesterday. I'll share pics soon.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11689 on: December 08, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
One of the prior owners made a room  out of the attached  garage.  It was also carpeted with  dusty cheap carpet, indoor/outdoor....  Underneath that was a dark wood grain laminate.   I really like it even though  it doesn't match the rest of the house.  It is more suitable for the pool table and I don't worry over it like I do my hardwoods...  I really am a silly old woman.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11690 on: December 08, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
Hello, all!  Thanks for the Chanukah wishes!

T, glad you found a local beekeeper and hopefully can keep stocked with lots of local honey!

Ups and downs since I last posted... the potluck party Friday night was awesome.  Then on Saturday, Eric and I went to a craft show.  I wanted to go for this one vendor that makes felt animal ornaments; I wanted a bee for our tree (so cute!) and a panda for my friend.  I missed her at another local craft fair when I was sick and couldn't go, and since she's got an Etsy shop, I chose to find her in person rather than shop online.

Turns out to be doubly good we went, because we found some other terrific vendors as well!  One did beautiful wooden items, and we bought a gorgeous walnut honey dipper.  Another made jewelry/bookmarks that were usable in books and wearable as necklaces, so I got one with pretty blue crystals for a friend.  And a third was a potter who didn't have anything we wanted on the spot, but did really nice work, so we traded information to see about getting a honey pot made.

After that, we took the dogs to the vet for Santa photos.  They were completely unruly, and I'm fairly certain none of us was looking at the camera in any one shot, but we'll see when I get the email how they came out.

On Sunday, I painted faces at a glow-themed Chanukah party, all in blacklight.  I made the newspaper, which is awesome, but you can see from the photo how dark it was.  It was funny to work all in the glow of blacklight and my face paints!

Then we went to my friend's mom's viewing; she died last week.  I'm not a fan of them (Jews don't do open caskets and I wasn't raised with it, so it's still always jarring to see), but was very glad to be there to support my very good friend, and a bunch of us went out for dinner after.

Monday Eric and I took off from work to go to the funeral, and then out to lunch with my friend, her brother, and some other friends.  Then headed for the mall (I needed my foundation, which happily was on sale, and E needed something he uses for shaving).  I hadn't been to the mall in SO LONG, and where it stressed E out, it really relaxes me and makes me feel "home."  I spent so much time hanging out there as a kid and working summers there.  I need to find an afternoon when I can get a friend or two to just hang out at the mall with me.

Then in the evening was my book club holiday party, where I ate WAY too much at a very good new Italian restaurant. 

Working today while E's home sick.  Tonight I MUST finish that scarf (which I worked on over the past several days, but not enough.  I think last night, I finally found the groove of it.  Took long enough!  Sheesh.

Also, we're up to nearly 2 dozen eggs in the house that we haven't used yet.  Love the colors so much!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11691 on: December 09, 2015, 10:55:17 AM »
Good morning!

Working today, finishing the scarf tonight (I'm ALMOST done!), and baking a cherry pie for tomorrow night's holiday party.  I'm obviously on a huge cherry pie kick.  I can't help it; they're really good, they're pretty, and they're easy!

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11692 on: December 09, 2015, 05:05:53 PM »
The eggs are so pretty and they taste great don't they? I saw on FB that you made the paper too. That's really cool!

I'm happy about the honey too. I invite you to like their FB page.  It's Eagle Creek Apiary in Sheridan, IN. I figured fellow bee keepers would want to support one another. I am really trying to find more locally produced stuff for everyday as well as gifts.

It's crazy warm here for December. It's nearly 50 today. Well above normal. Sat. is supposed to be 5, but some rain. Feels like NC.

I have an idea rolling around in my head for a new necklace design too. Maybe I'll work on that later. Time to go feed the firls and get our dinner together. Have a great evening all!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11693 on: December 10, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
I'm happy about the honey too. I invite you to like their FB page.  It's Eagle Creek Apiary in Sheridan, IN. I figured fellow bee keepers would want to support one another. I am really trying to find more locally produced stuff for everyday as well as gifts.

Found 'em and "liked" 'em.  I agree, we really do try to support each other.  I'm in my northeast NJ bee club, but on FB am also a member of several regional and worldwide bee groups.

It's unseasonably warm here too.  57 will be the high today, and then it'll be in the 60s through Monday.  Crazy!

Looking forward to seeing that new necklace.

I stayed up 'til 5 a.m. finishing that infinity scarf after baking the pie; I so wanted to quit, but I just didn't have time for that.  The party/gift exchange is tonight at 7:30!  No photos because by that time I couldn't pick myself up out of bed, and this morning I slept through my alarms until Eric woke me up at 8:45 (I normally get up at 7:30) and I had to go flying around the house to get myself dressed and to work.  I was only a half hour late, which isn't bad, considering.

Tonight when I get home, I'll photograph the scarf before putting it in a gift bag.  Now that I'm done with that and the party is tonight, I'm free to get back to the bee blanket!  Woohoo!

I have to say, the scarf came out pretty good, and I have enough left of those two skeins of yarn for another.  I think I'll make one for Fabric of my Mind too... once the bee blanket border is in the works.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11694 on: December 10, 2015, 02:18:51 PM »
Also, picking up our holiday cards from Walgreens on the way home, since the vet emailed our Santa photos at midnight last night.  :)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11695 on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:16 PM »
Those are really cute, Larissa!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11696 on: December 10, 2015, 03:19:28 PM »
Thanks!  I was going to list everyone - the cats, the guinea pigs, the chickens.  Eric said to tone it down to just those pictured.  I don't mind, but I think it would have been hilarious to have 17 of us listed.

Offline trusk4u

• View Profile
« Reply #11697 on: December 10, 2015, 04:18:51 PM »
Good to know that I am not the only one who includes their pets on a holiday card. That is really cute. I never seem to be able to get it together in time to get a photo card done. A goal for next year I guess.

I dropped off our food and gift donations at the fire station at the end of our subdivision. I signed the donation list. I was informed that they send thank you cards to those who donate. I've never gotten anything like that before. It's like when I had my dental work done, the DENTIST actually called both times to make sure I was doing okay. Not his office, but HIM. I was floored.

Turns out there is a holiday decorating contest in this subdivision. Terry will be tweaking his stuff this weekend. I really think he wants to win a prize. He's just a big kid sometimes.

Good thing you got the scarf done Larissa. I'm sure it will be appreciated very much. I've been thinking about making one for myself, but more likely I'll just buy one.

Well, gotta go. A couple of errands to run and then dinner. Have a good evening everyone!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11698 on: December 11, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
I have to say, I've always been a Shutterfly fan, but there's something to be said for Walgreen's holiday photo cards.  I uploaded the photo & ordered the cards around 2 p.m., saying I'd pick them up after 6 p.m., and at 2:30 I got an email that they were ready.  Picked up 40 cards and envelopes immediately after work last night at my local store, and they're well done.  Plus, I found a 20% off coupon code online, so it was $32 for 40 cards.  Not bad!

Fingers crossed Terry wins the decorating contest!  I'm very competitive, so if the voting's online, let us know so we can vote too.

She liked the scarf.  A lot of the gifts were infinity scarves and throws this year.  I think next year I'm going to buy something nice rather than making it, though.  It was stressful and I lost too much sleep.

The party was great, though.  I came home with an empty pie plate and my yankee swap gift - a beautiful tan plaid shawl and a sparkly light blue crystal bracelet.  I ate way too much and had a blast.

Today is work, and then tonight we need to clean the house and buy candy; we're having people over tomorrow to build gingerbread houses - our treat.  Should be fun!

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11699 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
I   love Walgreen's!   I've been a loyal shopper there  since I got old  enough (maybe 9 or 10)   to hop a bus with my friends and go into downtown  Knoxville  and squander my babysitting money.
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com