Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1703037 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11595 on: October 29, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »
So good to see  you here, Kimberly! 

Halloween week is insane for a face painter who also likes to host and attend parties, so I'm spinning in circles.  Got 5 of the 8 roses pinned to my dress for the costume party tomorrow night, so I know it'll work well.  And so glad I thought to safety pin instead of sewing!  Finicky, but so much faster!

Also got the cake layers cut, made the chocolate cream, and got it all assembled and into the freezer.  Tonight after work is chocolate glaze and piping the web & spider, then it's done!

Then I'll attach the rest of the roses to the dress, and my costume is done, other than the face painting tomorrow.

I also need to pop by Staples tonight; I printed 50 photos/names of horror movie villains for a party game for tomorrow night and want to laminate them.  Should be fun!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11596 on: October 29, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
Glad you are getting well, I guess I know what is coming next....month to get you on the right level of your meds without that Thyroid....
Take care of yourself, prayers are said in this house....

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: October 31, 2015, 08:42:42 AM »
Glad to hear that you are on the mend Kimberley. Monika, you take care of yourself too.

Errands to run today and then some chores. Not sure what to expect for Halloween since they are predicting some rain. Hope the kids get their trick or treating in before that happens.

I am contemplating running an inventory reduction sale. I have got to move some of this stuff. With our other house not selling, money is getting a wee bit tight. I may even close my other shop. Even though it's so little money to keep it open, every little bit will help.

Have a good Halloween everyone. Time to go get stuff done.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11598 on: November 02, 2015, 01:10:24 AM »
Ah, the insanity of Halloween weekend.  I'm actually glad for November at this point; I'm so exhausted!

Friday I took the day off from work to prep for the big Halloween party (50 RSVPed yes, about 100 came, and it was still an insane amount of food there), so I was running back and forth between the house where the party was being held to help the hostess and our house to help Eric with smoking the ribs and pulled pork and grilling the steak for the party, plus getting myself ready and in costume, AND face painting a mom and son for the town's trunk or treat.  Best part is the son was SO HAPPY, which was a total win on my part, knowing how hard it is to make a 12-year-old boy happy!  He was Ace Frehley, and he won the costume contest!

I did a Day of the Dead thing, with a fairly intricate sugar skull on myself.

After the party, I'm not kidding when I say we took out the dogs & sat down on the couch... and said, "When the hell did it get to be after 2 a.m.?!"

Saturday I got to sleep in (after taking the dogs out at 8:30 a.m. when they started howling) 'til 1 p.m., when I just had to get up for more face painting appointments.  One of my customers, who I've painted before, actually shaved half his moustache, beard, and head so I could paint the whole thing!!  I love a dedicated model.

Then I did my own makeup as an '80s rocker chick & pulled out the Judas Priest t-shirt and fringed leather motorcycle jacket (except for my jeans, my whole outfit was legit vintage '80s), and we went to our friends' Halloween party.

Today I had to face paint at the hotel restaurant brunch for 3 hours, and then we ran some errands (got a new TV, a baby present for friends who've just had twins, and some other stuff), then came home and tried to work on emptying the DVR a bit.  And just plain sat.

Tomorrow's a regular workday, which is kind of disappointing after all the fun, but also kind of a break after all the craziness!

Offline thunderroseleather

• Handmade functional art.
    • View Profile
    • Thunder Rose Leather
« Reply #11599 on: November 02, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
It's good to see you around Kimberly. So happy to hear you are healing up. That is so awesome that your community helped you out like that. That really helps in recovery.....
I just stayed in on Halloween. Not really my thing ..... All my Grandchildren have fun with that though.

Did I tell you all that my beautiful Granddaughter Nohea came for a visit this summer. She is going to be a teen real soon now. Oh how the time flies.
Here is a pic of us in the garden.

Have a beautiful day!
Debbie

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11600 on: November 02, 2015, 11:04:47 AM »
Blogged the weekend so you all can see photos if you wish: http://njfacepainter.blogspot.com/2015/11/and-halloween-rolls-around-again.html

Totally forgot to set my alarms for this morning after turning them off Saturday, so thankfully I got up *almost* on time anyway & only a few minutes late for work.  Still really tired, but truckin' along.  I may have to work late tonight, not sure.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: November 02, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »
beautiful picture Debbie and awesome painting Larissa.

I might not be spending as much time lurking here as I have been. I signed up for blogging 101 through WordPress, so with a three week intensive course I hope to get my blog to the point that I will put a link on here so I can get your honest criticisms too. I actually started it this Spring with two posts and plans to eventually morph it into a stand alone  added selling site....as I am technically challenged it got put on the back burner until I could take the time to really study what I need to learn to do......yes the computer ate my homework, >:) I hadn't saved a draft so today I did a re-write after getting the other problem I was having straightened out :laugh: Now to see how many other mistakes I can make and learn to fix!

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11602 on: November 02, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »
I saw some of your face posts on FB Larissa. Pretty darn awesome! As for me, I found Halloween more fun when I had little ones around. I (nor my husband) are really into the whole costume thing. My daughter on the other hand usually has at least a couple since they go to several parties every year. It seems that in this neighborhood, some people actually serve food (Hot food) to people as well as handing out candy. Someone had a bon fire going to I guess. Might explain why we did not have a ton of kids. I don't think either one of our neighbors gave out anything, so I'm sure that didn't help.

Our daughter's graduation is this Sunday, so we will be in Chicago. She will be getting her PsyD (Doctor of Psychology) and will be truly and totally done with school. Needless to say we are excited for her and quite proud. She has worked really hard for years.

The fence guys have finally started getting our fence up. They are out digging post holes right now. They build on site and are supposed to be done in 2 days. I know our dogs will be happy to be able to run in their backyard now.

We are kicking around ideas about what to do with our NC house. No showings this week and I'm sure they will slow down a lot now. Still unsure if we want to rent the place out for a year and then try to sell again. We may just keep it off the market for a month or so, do some more "fixes" and then get it back on the market for the spring. That seems to be the big time for house buying down there.
Well, have to go and fold more clothes and get stuff hung up so it doesn't wrinkle. See ya later.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11603 on: November 03, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
Blogged the weekend so you all can see photos if you wish: http://njfacepainter.blogspot.com/2015/11/and-halloween-rolls-around-again.html

Totally forgot to set my alarms for this morning after turning them off Saturday, so thankfully I got up *almost* on time anyway & only a few minutes late for work.  Still really tired, but truckin' along.  I may have to work late tonight, not sure.

Great job, I have promoted your blog on G+, quite a lot of responses.....(smile)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11604 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:52 AM »

Great job, I have promoted your blog on G+, quite a lot of responses.....(smile)

Thanks!

Voted this morning, work today, (it's going to be insanely hectic), and then tonight I've got to get to motor vehicles to turn in the plates from the smashed CR-V.  Then just stuff around the house.  We need to revamp the guinea pig cage to segregate one pig form the rest.  All of a sudden, two of the new pigs are picking on the brother they came with!  Really beating up on him.  So we need to separate them; either him alone & the other 4 together, or him with our original two, and the two bullies together.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: November 03, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
Nothing much here....Halloween was a nonevent around here since nobody ever comes down our driveway, even when they mean to they tend to miss it at least once so no trick or treaters, just watching cheesy movies and hanging out.

I'm getting better and better and starting to pick up some of the work load again.  My voice is almost normal and I'm sitting at my desk looking a pile of paperwork to sort as well as a mile long to do list.  I thing that will be most of my day tomorrow, cleaning and catching up a bit as well as making a bunch of thank you cards for all the help we got the last few weeks.

Football is coming to a close so Spencer's schedule will chill for a few weeks before mandatory lifting begins.  The kid needs a break for a while and I'll be happy not driving back and forth to the school for a bit while we get ready for the holidays.

New Jersey for Thanksgiving, Georgia for Christmas and a convention in Las Vegas in February....if nothing else life around here is rarely dull!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11606 on: November 04, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
So glad you're doing well, Kimberly!

Allergy shots this morning (ouch), and I find that while I was getting dulled to it - and my needle phobia - by going weekly, now that I'm on monthly shots the anxiety is back because I'm not used to it anymore.  I feel like a scared kid.

Work today, and I expect it to be crazy again.  Nothing specific tonight, other than watching American Horror Story.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11607 on: November 04, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
Larissa,  my youngest (now 38)  passed out cold as kraut  when he was  little and needed a booster shot....   Of course at that time I could  get him on my lap and hug him for a few minutes and he'd be ok.  When he  finished high school and enlisted in the Army he came home from his physical  with a big grin on his face.  He said "Mom,  I passed out and you weren't there to pick me up."  After he got out of the Army  he  went to work with Houston Fire Dept.  He told me  several of those big burly guys  passed out cold as kraut when they went for the required  pre employment physical.  Some folks never get over  the needle thing.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11608 on: November 06, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »
You know, apparently when I was really little I wasn't scared of shots.  My mother tells me that during one of the rounds of vaccinations you get when you're in grammar school, all of a sudden I was freaking out about the shot, and it turns out that some kid in my class was horrifying everyone in school about this insanely painful shot with a monstrous needle, etc, and I've been scared to death of needles ever since.  Once, when I was already an adult, I went to the doc for a regular physical, and she made the mistake of checking my blood pressure before taking my blood.  The pressure was off the charts because of my anticipation of the needle, so she had to do my blood first, and then take my blood pressure again once I was able to calm down.  I feel pathetic, but it's true.

Anyway, yesterday I worked a long day, and then popped over to Joann Fabrics and Michaels... They're having some good sales, plus I had coupons.  At Joann's, I got a good pair of sewing scissors (all Fiskar scissors were 40% off!), which is my very first pair of "real" sewing scissors.  It was about time, I know.  I also got a size 9 29" circular needle, which I need for an infinity scarf pattern I want to do.  And at Michael's I got the Lion Brand heartland yarn (also on sale for $3.99/skein!) to make the scarf; I'm going to use it for a gift exchange I'm participating in in December.

Then just watched TV and fell asleep trying to read a novel.

Also, Eric and I got a new dishwasher the other day at Lowe's (they were on sale - I love sales!) and Eric installed it yesterday while working from home, so we tested that out.

Today is work (came in early again!) and payday, which is nice.  Nothing on tonight, but I really, really need to do laundry.

Offline MsMartyD

• View Profile
« Reply #11609 on: November 06, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
Suggestion.....    I am a Fiskars kind of gal.    I have the teeny ones  for clipping thread  and the large shears for  sewing projects.   I found the neatest ones   for crafting.  The blades are black,   coated with  teflon.   You can cut double face tape  without  gunking up   your blades.  They are probably  6 or 8 inches in length...   like sewing shears.   I got them online.   Just   google Fiskars.
www.handmadeartists.com/shop/MsMartyD
www.etsy.com
www.shophandmade.com

"She seeks wool and flax and works willingly with her hands. She sees that her merchandise is good...."Prov 31:13 & 18