Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1703038 times)

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #11520 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »
Monika, good to see your smiley face. Glad you are taking care of yourself and know we are thinking positive thoughts for you.

It is good to see you back! Saw you on Google+ too! :)

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11521 on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »
Hang in there, Monika!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11522 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
Yep, yep, yep.....will do..... :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11523 on: October 06, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Halloo!

Working today, face painting guild meeting tonight.  The class will be 100% on My Little Pony faces, which is somewhere between nauseatingly cute and really helpful, since the kids love 'em.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11524 on: October 07, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
Good morning (by 7 minutes)!

The guild meeting last night was really worthwhile, so that was cool.

I told you guys about the garlic festival and all the stuff we got, right?  The shiitake log is growing mushrooms already!  Eric and I are now working out a 5-year "farm plan," and are researching the whole mushroom thing.  He bought us a big ol' book on growing mushrooms, which came from Amazon yesterday (together with a stethoscope for me to hear the bees in their hives in the winter and two plastic containers for the chicken feathers - one not cleaned, one once they're cleaned) and we're going to start growing oyster mushrooms in the basement because those can be done through the winter.  The shiitake are better outside.  There are apparently people making $1,000/month selling mushrooms!  And we plan to get in on the action.

Meanwhile, I don't think I told you we've rescued 3 more guinea pigs.  All boys, same as ours.  Right now, they're in a smallish cage (biggest one we had for them; the one they came in was TINY), and we're considering them "fosters" until we can try putting them in with our guys and see if they all get along.  If not, we'll have to find a place for them, since we really just don't have room for 2 guinea pig cages in our house.  So far we're up to butting the two cages up against each other when we're home and can supervise (the new pigs are in a cage on wheels, so that makes life easier), and it seems like the pigs are really interested in each other, but nonviolent.

Tonight after work, Eric's got a Red Bulls game, so I'll pick myself up some dinner - I'm thinking Mexican - and hang out at home.  I need to finish "The Legend of 1900" so I can get the DVD back to the library.  It's a really good movie so far (I watched 1/2 last night) and I highly recommend.

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: October 07, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
aww...guinea pigs...I remember having one as a pet when a kid....my school bus driver always warned me not to pick it up by the tail or it's eyes would fall out :laugh: :laugh: (yes I realize they don't have tails) :laugh: But they do have a loud voice when they want attention! How do your dogs like them?

Nice brisk fall day here, did a little trailer organization and working on scrubbies, finished a hat to felt last night, and have more candles to make. Looking forward to a productive winter.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11526 on: October 07, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
aww...guinea pigs...I remember having one as a pet when a kid....my school bus driver always warned me not to pick it up by the tail or it's eyes would fall out :laugh: :laugh: (yes I realize they don't have tails) :laugh: But they do have a loud voice when they want attention! How do your dogs like them?

Nice brisk fall day here, did a little trailer organization and working on scrubbies, finished a hat to felt last night, and have more candles to make. Looking forward to a productive winter.

The dogs LOVE them - all 5 of them!  They love to give them kisses through the cage.  Alfred and Gunther are already used to it by now (we've had them since August 2014), but these three look shocked.  Not upset, but shocked.  And yet, they keep coming to the edge of the cage for more!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11527 on: October 08, 2015, 09:47:14 AM »
Did I ever show you guys Gunther and Alfred?  Photos attached.  The one with a little bit of white is Alfred, and the one with a little bit of brown is Gunther.

So... Eric's been researching this mushroom thing like crazy, and it looks like we could really make a go of it.  Focusing on the mushrooms and honey, with a bit extra thrown in from the eggs/feathers/soap/lip balms/etc, plus my face painting & his balloons, it really seems plausible that we could both quit our day jobs at some point in the next few years and just be farmers/crafters/event entertainers.

Isn't that insane?  Scary and awesome, too.

Anyway, today is work, and then tonight I plan to henna my roots and then Eric and I are going to extract the "almost honey" he'll be using to make mead, so we can get all that cleaned up and in the freezer to protect from wax moths.  Enough dilly dallying!

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #11528 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
Your guinea pigs are so cute!

Packing the trailer, me, hubby, and my quilts.  We should be on the road by noon.  Will try to post from Kayenta...  my "booth" will look more like a 'gallery,' ...   at least that's the plan.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11529 on: October 08, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
Packing the trailer, me, hubby, and my quilts.  We should be on the road by noon.  Will try to post from Kayenta...  my "booth" will look more like a 'gallery,' ...   at least that's the plan.

With your wares, I definitely see the gallery vibe.  Your work is art!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: October 08, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
Agreed, Sandi does show an art gallery!...Mine on the other hand is more of a general store look, depending on the show :-\ . Have a nice show Sandi with a lot less to pack up after! I only have a one day show left for this year, but will be gearing up for a lot more shows next year. And yes Larissa, being self-employed can be scary, which is why we waited til Social Security time to really pursue it,and without any pensions to fall back on we are trying hard to establish a growing business.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11531 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »
Good morning!

I actually had my own law firm for several years; I come from a family of business owners, so it seemed like the next natural step.  Problem was I was doing it on my own and when it came to law, I really just wanted to practice without all the background business paperwork crap.

Now with this, I've got Eric and we can do it together.  And without needing trust accounts and ethics regulations, and needing to get bills out to clients and harass them to pay, the paperwork isn't so overwhelming.

Plus, we already have Reef Botanicals, so this just expands it.  Reef Botanicals becomes a farm and apiary, and the tag line goes from "handcrafted soaps and other indulgences" to "farm fresh and handcrafted indulgences."

Anyway, yay, Friday!

We finally extracted the "almost honey" for mead making last night, so we're all done!

Tonight I need to do laundry, and add some new paints and glitters to my face painting kit.  That's about the extent of it.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11532 on: October 10, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
Good morning!  Currently headed up to the bee supply place and then doing hive inspections and feeding.  Hopefully all is well!

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #11533 on: October 10, 2015, 02:06:16 PM »
Good afternoon, show is over and I must say I did very well.

Thank goodness, thinking about all the Mayo clinic bills coming my way....in the future.... :)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #11534 on: October 11, 2015, 01:15:24 PM »
Glad you did, well, Monika!

At the restaurant face painting today.  Eric is hanging out with me because I got into an accident just as I was pulling into the parking lot here.  My car is likely totaled, so I emptied everything out of it and put it all in Eric's car.

No injuries, thankfully.

On the bright side, the executive chef is here so Eric is going to go scout the grounds with him to see about putting a bunch of beehives here at the hotel.

After this, not sure what we're doing now.  The accident really put a damper on things.