Author Topic: What are you doing today?  (Read 1858310 times)

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
  • Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
Re: What are you doing today?
« Reply #12495 on: March 30, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »
Welcome, Mary!

And thank you!

The day job definitely cramps my style when it comes to the stuff I WANT to do.  Obnoxious, isn't it?

Today I'm working all day, and trying to get a huge prep project done for an important court hearing.  Then tonight, Eric and I are doing a bee talk for our Environmental Commission's green film festival, after watching Silence of the Bees.  It's a really interesting hour-long film that's available online if anyone wants to see it for him or herself.  It's from 2015, so it's a *little* outdated, but really not much.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12496 on: April 03, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
So... for those of you not on FB or not friended with me on FB... Eric is still being a bad influence.

Saturday night I was just happily spinning some 'paca on my Ashford, and Eric was playing with his phone, while we were watching TV and debating whether to rent Smokey & the Bandit on Amazon Prime (I've never seen it, and E was flabbergasted).  He happened to take a look at FB Marketplace and see that a spinning wheel that looked antique and really cool had been posted about half an hour prior.  Sent me the link, I looked, and messaged the seller that we could come over immediately.

We knew it was at least pretty old - the seller's mother who died a month ago was the one who used it, and the seller has seen it in photos from the 1950s.  She figured it was maybe from the 1920s-40s.

In a fiber group where I posted pix, I was told it's likely circa 1870s!!!  And it's really in great shape, just needs a leather strip to reattach the footman to the treadle, and the double drive bands.  Also, it's missing the whorl.  I'm going to have one made, but the seller is also hunting for the original; she knows she must have it because her mother used it, but she's not a spinner so she didn't realize anything was missing.

It's nearly 100% wood, except for the leather straps for attachments, and the metal axles for the wheel & flyer, and the metal hooks on the flyer.  Even the pegs holding the wheel on are wood.  Freakin' amazing.

I'm curious - those who spin or like antiques - how much would you figure you'd buy this for?  Because I think I got an amazing freakin' deal.

Spun more 'paca yesterday, took the dogs for a walk in the woods, and generally hung out.  Also went to dinner with friends.  Today is work, food shopping for Passover, and henna my hair.  And spinning.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
  • ...one stitch at a time!
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12497 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:03 AM »
That wheel is magnificent, Larissa!  No idea on what it might be worth though.  Congratulations on the find!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12498 on: April 03, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
That wheel is magnificent, Larissa!  No idea on what it might be worth though.  Congratulations on the find!

Thanks!  Isn't she gorgeous?  OK, I can't stand it... I got her for $50.  That's it.  Buy of the century, as far as I'm concerned.

myeuropeantouch

« Reply #12499 on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »

Thanks!  Isn't she gorgeous?  OK, I can't stand it... I got her for $50.  That's it.  Buy of the century, as far as I'm concerned.

Whoa.....I looked, ebay has them listed anywhere from $300 to $800.......depending....congrats, it looks so cool

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12500 on: April 03, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
$50 means YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12501 on: April 03, 2017, 12:15:45 PM »
I *almost* felt bad, but that's what she asked for, and we didn't haggle a penny.

Really cool people, they do 4H and have chickens and ducks and rabbits.  She actually started tearing up when she heard I actually planned to use the wheel, though, and said she was so happy that it was going to someone who wanted it for real, and not just decor.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12502 on: April 05, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
Halloo!  I'm very excited because last night Eric and I finally got the new carding cloth and got it onto the old carders that came with my loom (they were rusty and gross).  Which means at tomorrow night's spinning guild meeting, I can give Heather's back to her and stop being a mooch!

Tonight is the face painting guild meeting after work.  Then I need to card a boatload of 'paca.  I finished the white and am working on a gorgeous dark brown now, and it's insanely, ridiculously soft.  Like crazy soft.  Like it makes the other alpaca fleece seem like cardboard by comparison.  I want to just sleep in this fleece.

Offline chainmaille

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: April 10, 2017, 12:23:05 PM »
Well this is what has been going with me. The Addition! https://goo.gl/photos/fqWqbDvzZ1CwBVPRA
Ever consuming. LOL but it is well on the way. I'll keep pics coming. But it will be our master bathroom and walk in closet combined.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12504 on: April 10, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
Holy crow, dude!  That's a crazy amount of work.

We had a productive and good weekend - took the boys to the nature preserve for a walk Saturday, then hung out with friends, then I did henna for 2 hours at a bat mitzvah.  Sunday I got photos of a ton of new stuff for E's store (www.bladesandboard.com) and he turned more pens, while I washed alpaca fleeces, carded, and spun.  Lots of spinning, lots more to do as we prep for and Earth Day fair we're doing, plus also a weekly farmer's market we're awaiting approval on.  I'm stalking my email like crazy for that approval!

Today is work, and tonight starts passover, but I don't go to family anymore, so it'll just be low key at home, me & E.  I need to do laundry, and of course spin.

I'm so annoyed, that awesome old wheel I got - I got the bobbin & flyer all boxed up to send out for the guy to make me a new whorl, and I left it on the dining room table this morning.  Of course.  Boo.  I'll get it out to him tomorrow.

Offline iKnitQuiltSew

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • i Knit Quilt Sew
« Reply #12505 on: April 10, 2017, 04:05:42 PM »
SWEET!  Glad to hear you have all this free time to work on it.....   NOT!  Thanks for the wonderful pictures!

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: April 10, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
Wow, am I behind on reading here (I must have missed one notice of a new post, then they stopped coming in)
Welcome Mary.

Larrisa, gorgeous pens, and yes that wheel is a steal...it looks like a flax wheel (from the spacing and size of the hooks on the flyer) although some of the wheels of that era were dual purpose (flax and wool). A piece of a leather shoestring or even a strong cord will attach the footman to the treadle. I like using a 3-ply chalk-line or cord to splice a drive band from, make sure you loosen the tension as much as you can to size the band, then you will have lots of room to tighten it up. Back in the 60's the price on the antique wheels was about $150! I did pick up one at a flea market for $50 and a friend's husband was able to get it into working order for me so I now have a flax wheel to travel with when I don't want to demo wool. I've just to make an adaption so that it will hold my distaff arm. (if there is a hole on the table near the tension knob that's where it would fit, if no hole then it would be used with a floor distaff. Today you can buy flax top (which will spin from your hand like wool) or if you buy the line fiber (a strick) it should be wound on a distaff and will give you a finer yarn. Have fun!

Wow Andrew, it looks like you are building a new house! Nice that you can do the work yourself and looking good.

Our snow is just about all gone, I've been dyeing a lot of wool, (with 3 fiber shows this year) need to finish getting my candles in order with our first show the end of this month! Had my hair cut today so getting ready for warmer weather!

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12507 on: April 11, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
Thanks for all the info!  I figured it for a flax wheel... think it'd work with other fine fibers like angora and mohair?  The buns are fleecing out again and should be ready for harvest soon.  :)

I can't believe the wheel is actually in working order except for the leather strip (which I agree is incredibly easy), drive bands (which are kind of consumable parts anyway; I think of them like car tires), and the whorl.  In fact, I just boxed up the flyer & bobbin with a boatload of bubble wrap and paper to send to Asheford, NC to Bobbin Boy to have him make me a replacement whorl.  It's sitting on the counter next to me with "FRAGILE" written all over the box.  I'm half terrified to ship it, half excited to get a whorl back.

Do I have to have a distaff for this wheel?  There's no hole in the table, so it'd be a floor one.  I tend to spin the angora just in bits out of a box; I don't process it at all before spinning and just wash it once it's spun.  And when I've got roving or top, or even batt, I just spin from my lap or the bag.

Spun 2.5 oz of chocolate brown 'paca last night into a single.  Tonight after work, Eric and I are going out for Brazilian rodizio with a friend, and then when we get home I'll be carding more 'paca.  Need yarn!  Lots of yarn!  And more candles.  There really aren't enough hours in a day. 

Offline MulchandMore

• View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: April 11, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »
I totally agree about not enough hours in the day! I've dyed 3 batches of wool today, will try to get pictures on my blog soon, just in case you want to drool ;) . I'm working my way through 40 lbs of roving that I just got back from the mill last month and I have more from the same source to take in!  That finished  the first box of four, two more white to go and one of natural black to spin as is unless I experiment to see what overdyeing will do for it.  :laugh: Most will be for the shows unless someone contacts me before, some will be for spinning guild (I'm leading a study on different methods to use when spinning/plying rainbow dyed roving and top.)
And I have two batches of candles poured with one more planned for tonight.

No you won't need a distaff unless you spin line flax(that can be 1 1/2 feet long and longer) Your fine fibers should work fine unless the hooks have sharp groves worn in them (from spinning flax) A tree branch with two sets of opposing branches tied together at the top (to form a cotton candy shape) will work and you have a wood-worker to build the base or use the bottom of an old floor lamp.

Offline Larissa

• Reef Botanicals
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Reef Botanicals
« Reply #12509 on: April 12, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
Cool, thanks!  And I definitely want to drool over your fiber!

I brought the bobbin/flyer to the post office today to go to Bobbin Boy for my new whorl.  I swathed it in bubble wrap and paper, but while I'm excited to get the part, I'm terrified about having it in the hands of the USPS.  Sent it priority, so I'll be stalking the tracking like a crazy person.

Today is work, then of course carding and spinning.  Because that's my life now!  LOL