Author Topic: A cute recycling idea I had when I saw the punch!  (Read 5010 times)

Offline LauraDaGoddess

• Saving the Planet One Accessory at a Time.
    • View Profile
    • Totally Unique Treasures
A cute recycling idea I had when I saw the punch!
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
Did you know that even the smallest act of recycling can save many trees?  I have a fast, cute, and fun tip for recycling soda boxes or any kind of thin box and turning them into cute tags for gifts, unique place cards, scrap booking tags or adornments and even jewelry.  The uses could be infinite, limited only by your imagination.

One of the more popular items in personal refreshment these days seems to be the 12 can refrigerator pack of most sodas or soft drinks.  The box holds these cans in the fridge leaving plenty of room in your fridge while keeping cold, refreshing, soft drinks handy.  Some are made of recycled materials, but some are not.  Even the ones made of recycled materials can be recycled again.  So here is what you can do. 
Of course get your thin product box.  I chose my Diet Coke box.

Get a decorator punch or a tag punch.  You can find one at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, or any craft store that has scrap booking supplies.  For a more abstract look you can cut tags out yourself as well with plain or shaped scissors, which can also be found at any dollar or hobby store. 
I got a tag punch with three different sizes.   

Use the plain scissors to cut the box so that you can line the punches up to whatever on the box you want to feature on the tag or punch out.
And then, of course, punch away. 

I hope my simple recycling tip helps you to start recycling this year.  Just like saving money, every little bit helps. And, if you are not already recycling, this is a fun, easy, and small way to get you started.  You and your friends will enjoy your professional looking handmade tags or punch outs, and you will save money on gift tags or scrap booking supplies. Most importantly, you will have saved many trees.  Caution: This activity may become addictive. Please share with everyone you know. 

I got a lot of little tips tricks and hints for easy, fun and effective recycling, so stay tuned, and be sure to pass them along to your friends.
PeacH
LDG "TUT" http://tutreasures.etsy.com

Offline dreamriverdesigns

• Handcrafted heirloom quality jewelry
    • View Profile
    • DreamRiver Designs
Re: A cute recycling idea I had when I saw the punch!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
that's a great idea!!!

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
Great idea and easy thing to do with the kids.  Thanks!

perpetualspiral

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:37 PM »
Aw sweet! I've gotta get one of those punches!!

ArmoredHearts

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:15:46 PM »
I agree, if you aren't 'into' recycling, what a fun way to start.

Kim's suggestion to include the kids is a great way to distract them from the "I'm bored" days.

What a great idea!

seedlingsjewelry

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »
Ooh, I love this idea and it will save on buying ready-made tags too! Thank you for sharing!

Offline PendantPatch

• View Profile
    • PendantPatch
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
This is a great recycling idea! Now to go and buy a tag punch. These would be great for craft shows. Stamp your shop name on one side and a stamp that says recycled on the other.

Sabine

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
That's a fab idea - not seen these punches in the UK *scuttles off to the great big auction site*

Tamdoll

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »
This is a great idea! I got the same punch at etsy.com from a seller who was clearing out her unused supplies.  And I've been keeping it next to my mail pile so as junk mail comes through I can punch out the colorful bits and save them in a bowl to use as tags.

Offline Knitsbywlsm12

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the great idea. I'm getting a Tag Punch today, especially since I tag all the time!

Offline LoveForEarth

• View Profile
    • Love For Earth
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
I love this way to recycle the used boxes! These look really cute made with cereal boxes, too. Around the holidays, you can find all sorts of products that have Holiday themed boxes and make them for your gifts :) A friend of mine makes gift bags with the soda cases, its really cute,  I should see if she has a picture, or better yet...tell her about  this thread/forum! :D

Offline lisianblue

• View Profile
    • lisianblue
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 02:43:34 AM »
What a great idea!  I love making tags - don't have a punch - just cut them out - a punch would be much quicker tho! 
Kris 
"Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced."  Leo Tolstoy 

http://handmadeartists.com/shop/reflections
http://handmadeartistsshop.com/shop/lisianblue

http://twitter.com/lisianblue
http://lisianblue.blogspot.com

Offline LauraDaGoddess

• Saving the Planet One Accessory at a Time.
    • View Profile
    • Totally Unique Treasures
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »
Like I said, these can be limited only by your imagination.  Thanks for noticing me.
LDG "TUT" http://tutreasures.etsy.com