Author Topic: Glue... fabulous glue!  (Read 3186 times)

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
Glue... fabulous glue!
« on: January 12, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
Yes, I have another thing to glue rocks to!!

I want to make some tiny stone earrings by gluing itty-bitty rocks to flat posts.  They're going to be small enough that I'm planning on using posts that have a 4 or 6mm flat bit.

The stones are pretty smooth and I don't want a lot of glue to seep around the edges of the post and be visable.  The epoxy I use right now won't work for this...  any suggestions?

I've tried that E6000 stuff, too slow.  And I've tried one of the Aleens products but I had a bad experience.  Is there something out there that has a tiny applicator tip, dries pretty fast and won't run everywhere??

(I'm shopping online but there are far too many choices!  I don't know which to pick!)

Thanks!

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
Re: Glue... fabulous glue!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
Loctite has some super glue that is slower setting, but still quick, so you have time to center what you want to. The down side, it runs.  :(

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
I like using GS Hypo cement. It's thicker so it doesn't run too much, sets fairly fast and has a precision point tip.

I'm wondering if putting some tape or paper banding around the edge of the post pad will help keep the epoxy from seeping over the edges. Sort of like when you are putting in cement and need to build a form first.

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
super glue has different speeds of drying time on their glues and the slower glues are thicker, you may be able to use a toothpick as an applicator.

Offline aimeesrockworks

• View Profile
    • Aimee's Rock Works
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone... I'll have to test these ideas out (and what's the worst that can happen?? I end up with a whole bunch of rock-earring-rejects for myself!!)

:-*