Author Topic: Questions About Wire Wrapping and Such  (Read 2834 times)

Offline CraftedRoots

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Questions About Wire Wrapping and Such
« on: November 10, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
Hey guys! I made my first wire bracelet, and now I have some questions for you professional wire workers. ^-^ I macramed the wire to form the piece:

It was a bit more difficult to work with than I thought it would be! ;) Now, as you can hopefully see, I tried to make a hook-and-loop type of closure. I think I did alright with the loop.........

However, I ran out of wire on the two pieces I wove with (I told myself it was better to overcompensate than to run out of wire, but I never listen to myself ;D), so all I had for the hook was the single piece of wire. Now, that's really not a horrible thing (..right?), but I wasn't sure how to coil everything so that I didn't have a little piece sticking out. I tried to file it, and when I used the pliers, it rubbed the black coating off, and exposed some of the copper. Not to mention it looks really sloppy!!

Sooo...any tips? Tricks? Critiques on what I did horribly wrong?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Wire Wrapping and Such
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:49:09 PM »
Well, the clasp does look rough, not the loop but the hook.  As far as the rest, that is a really cool bracelet!  No suggestions for you but I definitely like the idea and think you are on to something cool.

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
When I work with colored wire, I always coat my pliers with Tool Magic, you can get it at Joanne's for about $4.99. It rubberizes the tips of your pliers so that it doesn't take the colored coating off, or scratch it. You can also use nylon jaw pliers, they run about $18 and up, from what I've seen.

On your hook side: If you can untwist your wire without scratching it, do so, and straighten it as much as you can. THen, eyeball a little less than halfway up the wire from the end of your bracelet. Take the tip end of your round nose pliers and bend your wire all the way back towards you and the bracelet, in effect, doubling it, and squeeze neatly together. You should have about a 1 inch tail to work with wrapping. Take your pliers again, about a 1/4" above where your bracelet ends, and put a 90 degree bend in the "loose end", then wrap it around the other side of the wire, towards your bracelet, like you did on the loop side. Make sure your tail is tucked in well  ;D Then, look at the length you have left at the tip of your doubled wire. Eyeball again, prolly 1/2" down, and bend the tip around your round nose pliers to form your "hook". And there you be!  ;D

It looks like you have about 4" of wire or more to work with on your hook end, so you should be fine.

Offline trusk4u

• Handmade is always a journey of discovery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
Well, I was going to say the same thing as Jan, so I won't repeat it. I always have a hard time tucking wire ends so they don't poke and scratch. What I have been doing is making sure the cut end is blunt, I file it to remove any burrs and then finish folding it over with my crimping pliers. They work great because I can get the wire to lie and stay rounded with the rest of the wrap. Make sense? ???

Offline Dragonclaw

• DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS free-form, organic wearable art
    • View Profile
    • DRAGONCLAW STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:08:42 PM »

I think other than the hook it looks good... all the suggestions are good, when you are using colored wire, find a 'sharpie" or other permanent marker to touch up those scratches you accidentally put in your colored wire (it can save an otherwise ruined piece) plus it can help hide the end where the cut shows.
And remember my favorite litany... "Practice Practice Practice ^-^