Author Topic: Question About Clear Filler Materials  (Read 3335 times)

Offline jewelrybyjanelle50

• View Profile
Question About Clear Filler Materials
« on: November 11, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
What is the name of the stuff you can pour into a jewelry photo frame, or anything, for that matter, and it sets up clear? I am making something that I need this for, and have tried something called Crystal Cote. It was originally meant as a top coat only, but I thought I would give it a try. It shrinks down while drying, so it won't work for what I need. Does this make sense?  ;D

I realize that whatever I use will take a few layers to do it right, and curing time. What I am creating will eventually have a 3D effect. Any suggestions?

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Clear Filler Materials
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 05:47:11 PM »
Are you talking about resin?  You can get the two part stuff...but you have to get the proportions exact for it to work...or you can use the stuff I use called Diamond Glaze.  It gives you that domed, glassy finish for stuff like bottle caps.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »
There are a few different products like resin and Diamond Glaze... or if the item is bakeable you could try Kato Liquid Medium.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 03:28:58 AM »
I'm not sure if resin is what I want or not. I'll check out the Diamond Glaze. That isn't for like just a top coat, is it? I am really not sure WHAT I need, lol, that's why I was asking.  :-\

Haffina-I'm not sure it can be baked. It's metal, but with other components in it too.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
OK, I Googled the Diamond Glaze, and was lucky enough to find a demo to go along with it, using jar lids, which are about as deep as the pocketwatch back I am using. It looks easy peasy to use, but in that particular video, it looked like it shrinks back. Does it? I made a mosaic ashtray once, using plain ol' Elmers glue between the tiles, and I kept on filling it, even after it dried because it shrunk back, and I wanted it to be even over the top. Hoping the diamond glaze doesn't do that. Does Walmart carry it?

Going to Google the resin stuff now.

Offline MakinTheBest

• Administrator
  • Live everyday like you mean it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 07:27:06 AM »
Diamond glaze doesn't shrink back.  It is what I used when I made bottlecap magnets as giveaways.  It ends up looking like the pictures are under glass.  I don't know if you can get it at WalMart as I got my bottle on line a while ago.

Offline Haffina

• Just a little bit crazy
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • HaffinaCreations
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:42:16 AM »
Metal components can be baked, plastic cant be.
Diamond Glaze is a good choice though, as is resin. There is a type of liquid glass you can get too.